Private WHOIS Protection Module

Before we starting writing a module, does anyone know of any module that provides private WHOIS Protection.   In light of GDPR,  we would like to offer a discounted WHOIS protection to clients over what we currently pay our existing provider.

I see there are some Hooks that allow us to alter the data being sent before a domain is registered.  The idea is we modify the address to our mailing address and create a random email address that then auto creates a forward in cPanel under our private registration domain.   We had this ability years ago in AWBS and when we switched, we back to offering the registration company's WHOIS protection. 

The cpanel setting up a forwarding address is easy, just wondering if anyone has played with the Domain registration hooks?

Thanks

16 hours ago, madRooster said:

Before we starting writing a module, does anyone know of any module that provides private WHOIS Protection.

WHOIS Proxy/Privacy Protection services are accredited by ICANN and I think they need to pay quite a hefty sum to ICANN for the privilege...

Privacy Services – Privacy services allow a domain name holder (registrant) to be listed as the registrant of record but with alternate, valid contact information (such as a mail-forwarding service address) published in place of the registrant's home address.

Proxy Services – Proxy services allow a domain name to keep certain identity and contact details from appearing in public Whois information. The proxy service becomes the registered name holder of record, and its identity and contact information is displayed in Whois data.

it's entirely possibly that a Privacy Service setup by you could be against the terms of your contract with your registrar(s) and registries - i'd certainly suggest checking that before going down this road...

16 hours ago, madRooster said:

We had this ability years ago in AWBS and when we switched, we back to offering the registration company's WHOIS protection.

the rules were slightly more lax years ago than they would be now - I can see so many potential problems with that this I wouldn't waste a lot of time even considering it as viable.... certainly in the current climate.

12 hours ago, penguin said:

You mention that this is in light of GDPR, however since this has been implemented it has effectively made Whois privacy as a service worthless as whois details are now hidden automatically and at no cost to the registrant

i'd go along with @penguin on this, GDPR is going to make a huge difference to the need for these privacy services - especially to ccTLDs, most of which you can't offer proxy privacy services for anyway...

ICANN are even suing a Tucows subsidiary this week in a German court over GDRP/Whois and their different interpretations of collecting whois data - that result may impact on all this too... so the situation is still fluid, wait and see how things develop.