Upgrading to 7.5.1 on Ubuntu 18.04

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 which comes with PHP 7.2 by default and want to upgrade from 7.5.0 to 7.5.1 after hitting the Billable Items bug. The upgrade failed and I know the formal advice is to downgrade to PHP 7.0 to continue BUT PHP 7.0 is no longer available for Ubuntu 18.04 so I added the xenial (16.04) package repository, which still has PHP 7.0, however php7.0-curl would not install because it depends on an older libcurl version not available on Ubuntu 18.04. So, I can't upgrade to 7.5.1 because the upgrade procedure itself depends on curl, even though the older 16.04 php7.0-fpm seems to run okay on the latest Ubuntu 18.04!

I think if I can get upgraded to 7.5.1 I can finally toss PHP 7.0 for good. If anyone else is using Ubuntu 18.04 with PHP 7.2 and having trouble upgrading to WHMCS 7.5.1 and found a solution then I'd surely like to hear about it?

i'm not using either Ubuntu or PHP7.2, but I ran into a similar issue just now when the update from v7.5 to v7.5.1 failed using the automatic updater - it just stayed on the "updating" (do not close browser) page for 20 minutes... I know it says it might take a few minutes - but not 20! :)

the solution for me was to just download the v7.5.1 incremental patch and manually FTP the update files to the dev server, delete the 'install' folder (created by the auto-updater) and now everything seems to be ok.