After updating to 7.5, I got an email which warned:

One or more legacy modules were found to be in use and were not attempted to be deleted: ip_manager, ip_monitor

I searched the forums but could find nothing for ip_manager or ip_monitor.  So I did a general internet search and got this page which states:

URL: http://help.whmcs.com/m/75601/l/850628-troubleshooting-a-failed-to-remove-legacy-modules-error

Solution

The recommendation is to manually delete the module files from your WHMCS directory via FTP. They are located within the /modules folder.

I searched and found the two folders in public_html/billing/modules/admin folder.  Instead of deleting the folders, I added the prefix 'LEGACY-' to the folder names so they wouldn't be found.  

Should I just go ahead and delete these folders and will it be safe to do so?

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @LukeDouglas,

This message indicates that the modules are enabled on the Setup > Addon Modules page, so were not deleted.

I'd suggest restoring the original folder names, and then disabling the modules first via the Setup > Addon Modules page. The ip_manager and ip_monitor folders can then be safely deleted.

John,

I restored the filenames but when I went to the Setup > Addon Modules page, I get the warning below.  I went to the previous page, tried again but same thing.  I logged out. Shut down browser. Opened browser, clean cache and tried again.  Same thing.  Any other ideas?

Oops!

Something went wrong and we couldn't process your request.

Please go back to the previous page and try again.

Here is the display errors:

Whoops\Exception\ErrorException: The file /home/webbcom/public_html/billing/modules/addons/enomnewtlds/enomnewtlds.php was encoded by the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5.0 and cannot run under PHP 7.0.
Please ask the provider of the script to provide a version encoded with the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5.6. in Unknown:0
Stack trace:
#0 /home/webbcom/public_html/billing/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/Utility/Error/Run.php(0): WHMCS\Utility\Error\Run->handleError(16, 'The file /home/...', 'Unknown', 0)
#1 [internal function]: WHMCS\Utility\Error\Run->handleShutdown()
#2 {main}

Now when I attempted to upgrade to 7.5.0, it gave me an ionCube Encoder error message indicating that I needed ionCube Encoder 10.0 for the upgrade.  I had the server admin to install it and the 7.5.0 upgrade went smoothly.  The site is running under PHP 7.0 and according to the server admin, that version of ionCube loader required PHP 7.0 or higher.

Which begs the question why I am getting this message?  Am I going to have to switch back to PHP 5.6, have the server admin to restsore the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5.6, then go to the AddOn Modules (if it will load), just to disable these two modules, then swtich back to PHP 7.0 and have the server admin's restore the ionCube Loader for PHP 7.0? That is a hell of a lot of work to do for removing some legacy modules.

John,

Thanks. Once I renamed that module by prefixing the filename with "LEGACY_CAN_BE_REMOVED_", I was able to access the Addon Modules.  None of the Addon's including the 'ip_monitor' and 'ip_manager' were activated.  So I have renamed those folders using the prefix 'LEGACY_CAN_BE_REMOVED_'.  After a month or two, I'll actually remove the folders.  I know it sounds I'm paranoid but I've been in this game too long to delete something outright. :)

Hi John,

I just upgraded to 7.5 and changed to PHP 7.0 at the same time. I also ran into the same error as LukeDoaglas, deleting "enomnewtlds" fixed that particular error for me too. But there is a different error now blocking me from seeing any invoices:

Whoops\Exception\ErrorException: The file /home/xxxx/public_html/whmcs/modules/gateways/payoffline.php was encoded by the ionCube Encoder for PHP 5.0 and cannot run under PHP 7.0.

Any ideas what I should do? I'm currently blocked from viewing or creating any invoices...

Thanks,

Jamie

• WHMCS Support Manager

@Terabit,

This is an old module which was discontinued back in v5.3. It has not been functional since the service shut down in 2012: https://tamebay.com/2011/12/payoffline-service-terminated-as-of-31st-march-2012.html

Therefore it can be safely deleted from your server. The auto-update process to 7.5 will attempt to delete this automatically for you : https://docs.whmcs.com/Version_7.5.0_Release_Notes#Deprecation_.26_Removal_Notices