Validation Error The username must be alphanumeric characters only

wtools

Hi,

When i assign a customer to a department from the admin side,

i am getting the below error.

Validation Error
The username must be alphanumeric characters only

If i change
username from something like  zzzzzz.ggggggg to zzzzzzggggggg (no dot here)
the assignment works well.

So can assign user names like that to some department without an error?

On 24/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, wtools said:

When i assign a customer to a department from the admin side,

What you're doing is not "assigning a customer to a department", is instead "creating a new administrator".

customers have their own email address as username, administrator have friendly alpha-numeric friendly names.

There's no way to transform a customer in an administrator (and if it would exist, it would be VERY bad)

I get this error as well even when creating a new admin user. If I set the username the same as the email address I get the validation error. Before we could create admins with their email address as the username. Has this changed?

Only thing I can think of that has changed on our side is the upgrade from 7.3 to 7.4 and then 7.4.1 and also we changed our MySQL password. Everything else works as expected though.

Hi all,

I have confirmed in 7.4 following the introduction of CORE-11859 we no longer allow anything other than Alpha Numerical characters in usernames, this means no symbols, spaces or dots at all.  I appreciate this means that some of you will need to change usernames as you edit users, add departments ect, I have raised this internally around to be discussed further.

@Sidney yes, you'll also be affected by this change, in addition, i'd flag a change made in 7.3 CORE-10307 - Prevent conflict between admin and support department email addresses this change meant you couldn't use an email that was in  use by a support department.

I'll update this thread as more information comes to hand

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Sidney. Not only a step backwards but a leap backwards. What are you doing WHMCS? Why no more discussion on this subject and why no reply from WHMCS. Is the community just lying down on this one with nothing to say about a change that has no reasoning and makes the admin process difficult to use. My support users use a common shared email address and I absolutely have no interest in going to an easy to crack alphanumeric username much less all the trouble to make those changes. There is absolutely no good reason to have made this change.