Use Existing Domain Error in Cart (version 7.2.2)

Si

Could people please check what happens when you try to order a new hosting account for a domain already registered, (but with no hosting account) and select 'Use Existing Domain'.

All I get are Invalid Domain messages. On my own install, and on a clean install with six template and default cart.

I suspect you may have "Block Existing Domains" enabled in setup -> general settings -> ordering...

http://docs.whmcs.com/Ordering_Tab#Block_Existing_Domains

Block Existing Domains

Enabling prevents visitors mistakenly or maliciously ordering a new product with a domain name that is already pending, active or suspended in your system.

if it's enabled, i'm seeing your error message.... when disabled, the cart process works as normal. :idea:

I suspect you may have "Block Existing Domains" enabled in setup -> general settings -> ordering...

Thanks brian, but if I'm not mistaken this normally stopped duplicate products for the same domain being ordered up, by disabling it, it now means a customer can order two products for the same domain. Not obviously possible on the server.

Surely it's behaviour should apply to registering/transferring a domain when it already exists ?

P.S. I can confirm unticking the Block Existing Domains, allows the product to be ordered up, (even if its a duplicate product).

Hi Si,

Thanks brian, but if I'm not mistaken this normally stopped duplicate products for the same domain being ordered up, by disabling it, it now means a customer can order two products for the same domain. Not obviously possible on the server.

I was going to add that disabling it might cause issues down the road... :roll:

Surely it's behaviour should apply to registering/transferring a domain when it already exists ?

WHMCS relies on whois responses for that - I can remember many years ago having a thread conversation with John (I think) about that and it's weirdness... e.g when testing your issue above, I have a dummy domain "registered" of whmcstest2017.com, so the checkbox in ordering prevents me from trying to add a hosting product using that domain (as it already exists in the database)... yet I can quite happily go to the domain registration page and it would allow me to order whmcstest2017.com as it isn't actually registered.

I'm sure that thread years ago was about me wanting to add domains into a dummy account in WHMCS, enabling the existing domain option, and use that to prevent users from trying to use those domains in the use existing domain option - though can't find the thread, so i'm operating entirely from memory here! :twisted:

I suspect if you want to change the functionality of that feature then you're into the realms of feature requests *shudders* or a bug report - though I suspect a bug report on the functionality would fail as the feature is seeming to work as WHMCS intends.

however, where you may possibly have better luck might be to report the output as a bug, e.g it makes no sense, under the circumstances you're testing, to show...

Invalid domain name provided Domains must begin with a letter or a number and be between and characters in length

Please check your entry and try again.

ideally, you'd want a specific .js check to identify the cause of the invalid domain, e.g length, characters, already exists in database etc and show the correct appropriate response - at the moment, it just shown the above generic output and that could cause confusion to the client... though even if you can get WHMCS to agree to that being an issue, you're probably looking at a month or two before the next update. :roll: