Expired Domain Renewal

Salman75

The problem is not that they renew a redemption domain, the problem is the client keep clicking the renew button, generating invoices and paying, but most probably you will end up refunding him and losing money for the transactions, unless he agree to pay the $160 to recover the domain.

Exactly!

Thats our main worry.

Can't see the big deal here.

We use enom and nominet. If a customer pays for a domain renewal that has past its renewal period or is in redemption, it won't be renewed. No cost to you.

Your invoice should have the pay by due date and it is the clients problem if they pay too late. We make this clear to them in the emails that they receive from us.

When eventually (usually sooner rather than later when they realise their domain is no longer working), they contact us to ask why their domain still isn't working, we tell them they should have renewed by the due date on their invoice and as they hadn't, there may be extra charges incurred by them from the registrar. They then have to wait until we verify the situation.

They can then make the choice to pay or not.

We place a late fee on all invoices which are overdue instantly. So, if the customer does not want to pay the redemption fee, we refund them the domain registration fee but not the late fee. The late fee is there to cover our administration charges. Hence your concerns about refund charges are covered.

Run a tight ship. Your customers will respect you for it and this issue will be less of an issue than you think as we have very few domains that ever reach this stage.

Can't see the big deal here.

We use enom and nominet. If a customer pays for a domain renewal that has past its renewal period or is in redemption, it won't be renewed. No cost to you.

If that's true than I guess it's not really a concern. I was under the impression that by clicking on the renew button (we use Enom btw) for a domain that was in redemption, the customer would be invoiced the regular renewal amount (say $15/year), but the renewal order would go through to Enom and our Enom reseller acct would be billed the $160 or whatever it is........

No, if a customer tries to renew a domain that has expired status in enom, it will not be renewed, (even if it hasn't hit redemption period).

Which is why we charge a late payment fee on overdue invoices, it covers our administration of having to manually login to enom select the domain (which will be in the expired section) and manually renewing it.

It is at that point that we are able to tell if the domain has entered redemption period and therefore incurring the redemption fee. We then advise the customer of the situation.

No way your customers can cost you money in this situation.

If they choose to repeatedly pay for an expired domain (as some suggest), they have more money than sense. A quick support ticket can resolve issues for them. :-)

It would be good though if a domain is in expired status that the domain renewal button is either disabled or the resulting page clientarea.php?action=domainrenew shows

1) it cannot be renewed and

2) that there is an outstanding invoice for this domain which should be paid first

If that's true than I guess it's not really a concern. I was under the impression that by clicking on the renew button (we use Enom btw) for a domain that was in redemption, the customer would be invoiced the regular renewal amount (say $15/year), but the renewal order would go through to Enom and our Enom reseller acct would be billed the $160 or whatever it is........

The enom API doesn't renew a domain in RGP/Extended-RGP on a standard renewal instruction, so there is (currently) no worry that you'll be paying the $160 "accidentally"

I would quite like to see WHMCS have features to increase the cost of renewal when time period(s) have passed - so +$200 from expiry > expiry+30, +$300 from expiry+30 > expiry+60 etc as

(a) varying registrars charge different amounts for domains in grace periods

(b) it'll stop them forgetting next year

© it involves you in more manual/admin work

:D

The enom API doesn't renew a domain in RGP/Extended-RGP on a standard renewal instruction, so there is (currently) no worry that you'll be paying the $160 "accidentally"

I would quite like to see WHMCS have features to increase the cost of renewal when time period(s) have passed - so +$200 from expiry > expiry+30, +$300 from expiry+30 > expiry+60 etc as

(a) varying registrars charge different amounts for domains in grace periods

(b) it'll stop them forgetting next year

© it involves you in more manual/admin work

:D

Agreed! I too believe WHMCS should allow for automatic inclusion of additional fees once the renewal date has passed.

Thats strange. So far, any domains in that situation, that customers have renewed, I've had to login to enom and manually process their renewals.

Maybe we're expecting the move to redemption to be the cut-off, but maybe its just a certain number of days into expiry.

I'll contact enom today for clarification on this.

Si

OK, guess I was wrong on this.

Just spoke with 'Rosalind' in enom tech support and the api command to renew an expired domain is the same as the api command for a domain which is being extended and is within renewal period.

However, once a domain moves to redemption period, the api command that renews a domain is no longer valid and interestingly there is a separate api command which will move the domain out of redemption.

So.....

Matt, if we have this command, is it possible to add it to the enom module, so that we can add our own redemption fee to the domain invoice so that if customers want to renew the domain they can only do so after paying the full redemption fee?

Si