Paypal Subscriptions Failing

Si

Hi,

Anyone else seeing this?

Not sure yet what is going on. Normal invoices are being marked paid ok when customers pay manually via paypal, but subscriptions are failing to mark the invoice as PAID.

Just noticed this today and not sure if it's been going on for a while or is something that has just happened.

Anyone else?

Si

Ditto on all posting find today. And actually last week was the first time in months that one account was not posted to the wrong account. It has been posting to another users account for several months changing the subscription id. Sure hope I can attribute that to the 3.4 upgrade ;)

Hmmm, thanks guys.

Couple of questions in my search:

1) If an invoice is raised with another method of payment as the default for that service and a paypal subscription comes through for it, will it fail?

2) If that does cause it to fail, will it the customers account receive a credit or will the subscription simply not register at all in WHMCS?

Si

If it fails, that's because WHMCS can't find where to apply it, so as it doens't know, it can't credit anyone. Check in Transactions > Gateway Log for the failure reason.

Matt

Gets stranger.

I received 2 subscription payments today to my paypal account, yet neither of them show up in the Transaction Gateway Log for today. ?

This is worrying me now about the reliability of paypal subscriptions.

I've raised a support ticket to paypal support to ask them why no call-backs where generated for these 2 transactions. There have been others, which I've only today noticed and it seems to be hit and miss.

I'll update here if others are interested to hear what paypal have to say about it.

In the meantime, it would help if the 2 questions I asked above could be answered as well as I would need to know if that has any bearing on callback issues when they do arrive in WHMCS.

Thanks

Si

Paypal have just come back and this was their reply:

Some merchants using Instant Payment Notification (IPN) may have encountered unexpected responses intermittently when validating IPNs yesterday.

This issue has been resolved.

We apologize for any impact caused by this incident.

Looks like the issues some of you experienced last week re-occurred for others yesterday. Lets hope the issue is resolved this time.

Si

Paypal have just come back and this was their reply:

Some merchants using Instant Payment Notification (IPN) may have encountered unexpected responses intermittently when validating IPNs yesterday.

This issue has been resolved.

We apologize for any impact caused by this incident.

Looks like the issues some of you experienced last week re-occurred for others yesterday. Lets hope the issue is resolved this time.

Si

I have my doubts. A lot of changes going on with the new Ebay...errr Paypal. LOL

I have my doubts. A lot of changes going on with the new Ebay...errr Paypal. LOL

Sadly, you could well be right. This may not be the end of this. I tried earlier to log in to my paypal account and received a 3004 error, ie that they couldn't log me in at this time....try later.

Now that I have logged in, my account has been rolled back 72 hours and transactions that were showing on my account for yesterday and the day before are now not showing.

Going to have to keep a very tight eye on what's going on with paypal at the minute folks.

Si

Sorry to post this again, but the answers to the following would be helpful.

1) If an invoice is raised with another method of payment as the default payment method for that service and a paypal subscription comes through for it, will the payment fail?

2) If that does cause it to fail, will it the customers account receive a credit or will the subscription simply not register at all in WHMCS?

I'm receiving subscription payments from paypal who now tell me that the IPN is working normally, but the Gateway Transaction Log doesn't show them and the only thing I can think of is the above.

Straightforward paypal payments are working ok, but that is probably because the invoice raised has paypal as the payment method. But once a payment subscription comes through and fails, (possibly because my current invoices all have worldpay as the default(?)), I change the payment method on the account to Paypal, so until next month, when they start coming through again, I won't know if that solves the problem or if there is something else going on. That's why answers to the 2 questions above would be a great help in troubleshooting what is going on with paypal subscriptions.

Thanks.

Si

• WHMCS CEO

The answer to 1 is no, payment method of the invoice does not matter at all. If an invoice is set to x gateway and a payment comes in for it from y gateway, it still gets added and will mark it paid as normal if it's the full amount. And the gateway log will show *every* callback that is received - whether it works or not - so if it doesn't show there, it wasn't received.

I think it's pretty clear from the above the issue is on PayPals end here.

Matt

I had the same Issue. I was going nuts and contacted Matt. Matt went through my setup and found just what you guys were stating. PayPal was not sending out the callback. This was previous to this thread.

I'm glad PayPal has corrected the issue or atleast knows about it.

Things are getting worse on this guys. This is my latest reply from paypal support (who incidentally report no IPN issues or any reports of other users having an IPN issue).

Paypal wrote:

I am happy to assist you further.

I have tested the LIVE IPN system with success. I have received my verified result. We have no other reports of this issue from yesterday or today. Please check your server access log, to ensure the post is being received from PayPal.

Thanks for your patience.

My reply:

We are part of a large user group and many are reporting paypal subscription issues over the past couple of weeks. Your own support team confirmed to me that there were subscription IPN issues a couple of days ago.

They are ongoing.

I will report your findings and responses back to our community forum of users who are suffering the same issues.

Here's what we know for definite:

1) There are no IPN calls from paypal subscriptions coming in to our API. We have substantial logs recording all API calls from worldpay and from paypal live 'instant' payments and they are all being logged and working fine. The only issue is with paypal subscriptions which aren't even being logged as failures.

2) Real time purchases are talking to our API via the IPN without issue.

3) Paypal have admitted issues to other users (including myself via another ticket thread), less than 48 hours ago.

4) The issue was reported by that paypal support member as resolved. It isn't.

I await your response eagerly.

If you want, I'll update you on what paypal reply, but I feel like we're being fobbed off here.

Si

Paypal want WHMCS users who are experiencing problems with subscriptions to raise support tickets with them.

Quote:

I do encourage your folks on the forum to open tickets as well as this will assist us in getting the issue resolved (determining a root cause). Also, can you please send me the transaction ID's for subscriptions that an IPN has not been received for? This will allow me to search our backend logs.

Latest:

OK, this might only be related to my account, but it may trigger something for others having paypal subscription problems.

If you make a change to your paypal IPN url, (as I did when I moved from modernbill to WHMCS), paypal's system does not appear to update subscriptions and continues to send the paypal subscriptions to the old IPN address. (duh)

That's the conclusion I'm at, at present as paypal have told me the IPN calls were issued, but were issued to a url that no longer exists on my server and which doesn't correspond to the IPN url I have specified in my paypal account.

I'm waiting on clarification from them that the above statement is true and that it is either a global issue with all of their subscriptions, and to which they can implement a global fix, or, it applies only to my account.

I'll update the thread further when they come back to me.

Hope this helps some of you troubleshooting this issue.

Si

Hi John,

That script would be interesting.

Just had paypal confirm my thoughts. They wrote:

If you update the IPN URL on your PayPal account this will change the URL for all future subscriptions, but previous subscriptions will still use the URL that you originally associated with that Subscription.

How stupid.

So we have to go and tell all of our customers to cancel their paypal subscriptions and restart them again on the next invoice simply because paypals system cannot or will not change the IPN notification url on subscriptions already created.

Instead, they would continue to send the IPN notifications to a url that doesn't exist, unless we get customers to cancel and restart subscriptions.

What a crazy logic.

Thank goodness worldpay's futurepay has no such problem.

Si