SMTP connect failed

Hi

I have moved my WHMCS 6.2.2 from a PHP 5.5 server to PHP 5.6 from the same web hosting company and I also did a database export and import. How I can't send e-mails from WHMCS using SMTP. I have tried to use gmail smtp server instead but I get the same error:

Connection: opening to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465, timeout=300, options=array ( ) SMTP ERROR: Failed to connect to server: (0) SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

My web hosting company is saying the the servers have the same setup and they are not blocking so they think that it is maybe my SMTP library that needs to be updated to support PHP 5.6

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

I can confirm that WHMCS is totally compatible with PHP 5.6. However with modern versions of PHP you need to ensure that there is a valid SSL certificate configured for your mail server so that a secure connection can be established.

You can work around this temporarily by editing /vendor/phpmail/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php. FIND:

public $SMTPAutoTLS = true;

REPLACE WITH:

public $SMTPAutoTLS = false;

• 4 years later...