Softlayer API

Joel

• 2 months later...

My guess is that the script is now null and void due to the changes in the SL API. We're working on the Softlayer API for integration with WHMCS and expect completion around September. It will include bandwidth graphs, OS reloads, reboots, IPMI related items, and also basic license management.

Once completed, assuming the code isn't too custom to our WHMCS instance, I'lll make it available.

Simon

can someone post what they have as some people still seem to have it working

Side Note SL does run their own DC they just rent Floor space

Just because someone doesn't own the building, it doesn't mean they don't own a datacenter (or three of them in Softlayer's case). The space within the building is private and managed by the company. It's a datacenter. That's like saying a company doesn't have an office if they only rent space in a building.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just because someone doesn't own the building, it doesn't mean they don't own a datacenter

Actually yes, it does

When referring to office space, apartments, houses, or anything involving renting or owning, the terminology is VERY clear.

If you pay any kind of a lease on a property, you do not OWN said property

If you pay any kind of RENTAL on a proprty, you do not OWN said property.

InfoMart (dallas) is a shared facility, meaning that SoftLayer can NOT claim that they own this facility.

The Facility in Seattle is 'shared' as well, with other tenants, as is the one in Washington DC.

These are not 'owned' facilities. An OWNED facility is solely owned and operated by the company's staff. An OWNED facility counts on the COMPANY's assets, not someone else's.

Softlayer is merely leasing floor space in these 3 facilities, nothing more.

well then in your deining of datacenter than ATT owns every piece of copper and internet connection in the United States as they OWN the lines

SBC ( owned by ATT ) leases use of state copper or fiber and in turn resells to Internet companies,

Being SL leases floor space owns the equipment, routers, have tech that get paid by SL payroll I would say as long as the lease is in legal effect they own the datacenter

Becuase if I lease a car I own the car while the lease is in effect.

Becuase if I lease a car I own the car while the lease is in effect.

You're comparing apples to oranges here.

It's understood at the end of the 'lease' on a car, that you own the thing, IF you keep all your payments up, and IF you make the balloon payment at the end of the lease.

My apartment, your apartment, rent or leased will NEVER be yours 'at the end of that lease', because it is the property of the LANDLORD.

Simply put:

IF you have a landlord, you do NOT own your property, you RENT , or LEASE it. If you DON'T, you own it.

If you have 'office space', in most cases, you're not OWNING that office space, but leasing it.

If you SHARE the building with anything else, without YOU collecting the rent from said 'shared' tenants, you LEASE property, you do not OWN property.

A datacenter is PROPERTY. The individuals owning Infomart (in Dallas) OWN the property, thusly, the DC that Softlayer uses in Dallas. The same goes for the other two properties.

Softlayer does not OWN their datacenter, they are LEASING it. They OWN the equipment, which counts as an asset to them. They do NOT however OWN the property, or the DATACENTER

well then in your deining of datacenter than ATT owns every piece of copper and internet connection in the United States as they OWN the lines

Again, apples to oranges here. AT&T doesn't OWN every single line, whoever told you that is full of it. There are MULTIPLE backbone providers and content providers, AT&T is just (a very common) one. This is not, however 'property'.

A datacenter is a FACILITY, the core facility where everything is stored, run, maintained, and operated. It is NOT one floor of a massive building. That is merely one floor of a massive building, nothing more.

Now, softlayer in this case is probably saving a TON on maintainance by NOT owning their own datacenter, but that's neither here nor there. THEY don't own the datacenter, they RENT space from a provider.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...