Softlayer API

Joel

Anyone using their API yet?

I got bored yesterday and created an admin module to list all our servers & provide bandwidth graphs.

You can download it here: UPDATED - DOWNLOAD LINK MOVED TO BOTTOM OF POST

Once you extract this in your modules/admin directory, you need to edit the config.php to set the AUTH_USER & AUTH_KEY. These are (obviously) set up through the Sofylayer management portal.

Please remember that the server that's running WHMCS must have access to Softlayer's private network. Otherwise this will not work. And, following that, if you do not have any servers at Softlayer, this won't work either.

I almost forgot. Your WHMCS server also needs PHP SOAP installed.

It's still pretty rough and my code is uncommented and sloppy, but it does the job. Feedback would be appreciated. Next I'll be doing some client area pages for the customers to get bandwidth graphs for their servers and allow reboots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update - 07 Nov 2007

Sorry for the delay. Right after I wrote the first version, things got busy. If you've already installed the first version, you'll need to completely remove it (including config.php) and extract the new files. Just make sure to re-enter your auth_key & auth_user.

Version 1.1 changes

- Style sheet updated

- Runlevel changed to 3 (Full Administrator)

- Minor bug fixes (layout)

Version 1.1 new features

- Reboot option w/config option to disable it

- Highlight projected or estimated bandwidth which exceeds the allowed bandwidth

- Highlight "down" servers

- "Server Monitoring" block added. Much like Softlayer's "Server Monitoring" block in their customer portal.

- The date ranges are now displayed for the customer's billing & customer's last billing bandwidth graphs.

IMPORTANT!

Make sure to read the README file. It tells you what you need to do for the addon to be displayed properly. Basically, you need to add one line to the top of (WHMCS)/admin/style.css.

Also, the reboot function has had very little testing, so be careful and please be sure to let me know if there are any problems with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download Here: softlayer_servers.1.1.tar.gz

Keep it up JOEL...this sounds like a great idea and I think the module is much needed these days seeing that a lot many hosts are moving to SOFTLAYER for reselling dedicated servers.

I'll wait to see when you'll come up with the option for customers to view their graphs in their login area and facility to reboot the server.

Keep it up JOEL...this sounds like a great idea and I think the module is much needed these days seeing that a lot many hosts are moving to SOFTLAYER for reselling dedicated servers.

And because so many of their IP blocks are in mail blacklists, just as many peope are dumping them and moving to ther suppliers :D

The addon has been updated. Let me know if there are any problems or if there's anything else I need to add.

And because so many of their IP blocks are in mail blacklists, just as many peope are dumping them and moving to ther suppliers :D

Who would their suppliers be? Unless I'm missing something, they run their own DC.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work!

I especially like the fact it links to a customer's dedicated server page when it finds a matching entry for the hostname.

Maybe it could do the same for servers with IPs matching those supplied in the 'Manage servers' WHMCS config page, by linking the hostname to the appropriate config page?

• 1 month later...
What do you mean? Softlayer themselves or the fact that they rent?

Im surprised they dont have their own DC

The fact that they rent, SoftLayer themselves I have a feeling will be around for a very long time. They're doing things other Datacenters WILL NOT do, and they're doing it without pressure from thier customers even. I believe they're paving the highway other companies will drive down.

It looks like the 3.6.0 update moved the style sheet around. For anyone using this module, you'll need to make the following change if you want the Softlayer "look".

Open up:

(WHMCSDIR)/admin/templates/style.css

Add the following to the VERY TOP of the file:

@import "../../modules/admin/softlayer_servers/ss_styles.css";

They could get a datacenter and not drop the price while keeping the current service and I'd be more than happy.

A datacenter is an expensive thing to own. They take a lot of money to run, get connected up etc.

Cheaper to rent, until they can buy their own. That's when you'll see price drops, service increase etc.

The same 2 guys that formed SL were 2 of the founding partners of The Planet. TPs worst problem was managing the DCs they built and it costs millions to build and maintain them. Renting large amounts of space and power in DCs is more affordable for a dedicated server model by far. I don't see them jumping off into DC management like they did before.

• 2 weeks later...