SMTP Mail Settings in WHMCS using cPanel 11

Media Corp.

Hello,

I have been digging around but can't find the right answer or I'm missing something altogether.

I am a Reseller using cPanel 11 and a new install of WHMCS.

I have setup most areas, but just went in to change over from PHPMail to SMTP for system emails since it is 'better' for a few reasons (less blocking by some email providers like Hotmail.).

I have set it up like this:

Mail Type: SMTP

SMTP Port: 25 (I tried 26 as well).

SMTP Host: mail.mydomain.com

SMTP Username: accounts@mydomain.com (this is an active account)

SMTP Password: active password for account above.

When I try to send the 'Welcome Email' to a new client (a test account I setup) I get the following error:

"There has been an error sending the email."

I have tried using Port 26 since this is often the issue, but that has not worked. Everything works fine using PHPMail.

Please help!

Thanks,

Derek

try changing the host to localhost and keep 25 as the port.

That solution works perfectly! Thanks MACscr.

How did you know this could work? I spent an hour searching forums/manuals and even opened a ticket, but nothing worked. The ticket reply was 'check your password'.

Are there 'risks' to setting my system up to be 'localhost'?

Any additional information would be REALLY great.

Thanks again,

Derek

I have a related question (this has come up since I configured WHMCS to use SMTP mail).

Now, when I open a test ticket by emailing 'support@mydomain.com' I get the autoreply AND the ticket shows up in my Support Center. BUT the email auto-replies (and ticket replies from Admin) are coming from 'accounts@mydomain.com' instead of the appropriate ticket department (I have both Sales and Support setup).

One thing I find confusing is:

Under General Configuration> General tab, there is a field labeled Email Address with the description 'The default sender email address used for messages sent by WHMCS'.

AND

Under General Configuration> Mail tab, there is a field labeled System Emails From Email

What is the difference between the two? And...how do I configure the system to show ticket replies to be coming from the parameters I've defined in the Support Center? This used to work using PHP Mail, but things have changed now that I've setup SMTP mail.

UPDATE: When I hit 'reply' to the messages sent from the Ticket Center (this is from the test email I setup), it does show 'support@mydomain.com'. But when I receive messages from the Ticket Center it still shows 'Company Name Support (accounts@mydomain.com)'

In other words, piping is still working fine, client and Ticket Center communicating between one another just fine, but Clients see 'Company Name Support <accounts@mydomain.com> when it should show <support@mydomain.com>. When a Client hits 'reply' in their email, the TO: field does show the <support@mydomain.com> (which is correct).

Thanks,

Derek

Thanks, Matt. That mostly answer my question.

What is the difference (and how should I configure) these two settings:

Under General Configuration> General tab, there is a field labeled Email Address with the description 'The default sender email address used for messages sent by WHMCS'.

AND

Under General Configuration> Mail tab, there is a field labeled System Emails From Email

Do these need to match? Do I need to put anything in either of them?

Thanks,

Derek

What is the difference (and how should I configure) these two settings:

AND

Do these need to match? Do I need to put anything in either of them?

This one has me confused too. Would be great to hear a clear explanation.

• WHMCS CEO

General Config > General > Email - that's the default email used for email templates to come from to clients if there's no specific set on an email template.. General Config > Mail > System Emails is where the admin notifications you get come from.

Matt

Then why do Support Tickets (which are configured to use support@mydomain.com) show as from accounts@mydomain.com?

So, regardless that the email template for Tickets and the Department are setup to use 'support@mydomain.com', the Client will still see 'accounts@mydomain.com'? This is confusing for clients.

How do all of you have yours setup?