Free domain registration 2 years for .uk domains

Dan_HiHosting

Hi,

We'd like to offer .uk domain registrations of 1 year, now that that's available.

However it is lower cost to register domains for 2 years.

As such we'd like to register any free .uk domain for 2 years, not 1, with a new hosting package order.

Currently 1 year is selected by default.

But even if 2 years is selected by the client, then the domain will be registered for only 1 year.

This is a major oversight, because it doesn't make sense to register .uk domains for 1 year given the increased cost in the long run (as most clients stay on for years).

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,

Dan

• 4 months later...

Thanks Rob

However we want to allow our clients to register .uk domains for a 1 year.

It's really the back end we want to change - to have control over the length of free registrations.

Can WHMCS staff not provide some insight into this?

Surely this is a common problem for many UK web hosts offering free domains...

NetEarthOne currently.

They allow multi year registrations - and provide a discount for that, which is the point.

So it's definitely WHMCS that's the issue.

If you make a domain available for a 1 year registration, WHMCS will always make the free domain a 1 year registration, which is bad enough. But even if a client selects 2 years when they order it'll perform a 1 year registration - if it's a free domain.

There should be control over this I think.

NetEarthOne currently.

If you make a domain available for a 1 year registration, WHMCS will always make the free domain a 1 year registration, which is bad enough. But even if a client selects 2 years when they order it'll perform a 1 year registration - if it's a free domain.

There should be control over this I think.

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?33960-Free-domain-billing-cycle&p=169384#post169384

The free domain will always be registered for 1 year. After the first year it will be renewed automatically for the second. If the client doesn't renew the product at the end of the 2nd year, the domain will not be renewed.

I assume that it's actually registered for the minimum priced period for that TLD - which as John says tends to be 1-yr - though we don't offer free domains, so I have never played with this feature in any great detail.

for most TLDs the fact that it is renewed for the second year wouldn't matter, as usually a 1-yr registration is just half the price of a 2-yr registration, so nothing is lost... but the pricing for .uk domains is skewed slightly against 1-yr registrations (1yr = £3.50, 2yr=£5.00 from Nominet) - I know the NEO pricing structure follows a similar structure for .uk domains.

we tend to make the minimum period for .uk as 2-years - though we're making a temporary exception for the current £1 1-yr .uk promotion! :)

an alternative would be to tweak your pricing structure to discourage a 1-yr .uk registrations, but if they decide to do it, to ensure that your renewal costs are adequately covered.