Maxmind flagging every order as fraud

SMRHosting

In your general setup make the address optional then do not enter it and place an order. It will be flagged as fraud. I have lost out on several hundred dollars today because every single order got marked as fraud except for people paying via credit card (which pops up an address input section) I run a VPN service and normally I do not even take users addresses. This release has been a nightmare.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

In v5.3.10 we started rejecting orders that resulted in a wider range of error messages from Maxmind. For example, in v5.3.9 and below it was possible to place an order despite providing clearly false information on the order form:

Case #3695 - MaxMind: Improve error handling

http://docs.whmcs.com/Changelog:WHMCS_V5.3#Modules

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Please clarify what MaxMind error messages leads to a fraud order?

For example if MaxMind can't find the name of city since it's in cyrillic and MaxMind gives you CITY_NOT_FOUND error, it will make the order Fraud? Just because the city name was entered not in English?

That gives us so many fake Fraud orders since 5.3.10

• 3 weeks later...

We're seeing the same - did you get anywhere with this? "Improve Error Handling" is pretty non descript, especially when it potentially causes issues like this. There should at the very least be the option to disable the CITY_NOT_FOUND.

I can't help but feel this is something that should be a good idea, but in practise doesn't work.

• 7 months later...