lance

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this works for me...

.menu|whois.nic.menu|No Data Found

shows todays.menu and google.menu as registered; todays222.menu as available.

bah - nameservers from the data-center would not lookup .menu - changed resolv.conf to use google DNS and all works as I expected it to in the first place.

Edited by greghl

these are the whoisservers.php entries for April 9th GA:

.coffee|whois.donuts.co|Domain not found

.florist|whois.donuts.co|Domain not found

.house|whois.donuts.co|Domain not found

.solar|whois.donuts.co|Domain not found

Question - why does our domains list include TLDs we enter with a domain registrar of "none"?? I'd like to setup these TLDs ahead of time, leave them on "none" and then I can make them live by changing their registrar to eNom and hitting update - all can go live in one click... seems totally logical - I don't know domains with "none" as a registrar would show one the generated pages ... that seems totally nonsensical to me.

Question - why does our domains list include TLDs we enter with a domain registrar of "none"??

http://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Configuration#Automatic_Domain_Registration

To not enable automatic registration, leave the dropdown set to None

So it is normally used to avoid automatic registration of those TLDs.

I'd like to setup these TLDs ahead of time, leave them on "none" and then I can make them live by changing their registrar to eNom and hitting update - all can go live in one click... seems totally logical - I don't know domains with "none" as a registrar would show one the generated pages ... that seems totally nonsensical to me.

it is certainly be possible to do this, at least with domain checker - but it wouldn't be suitable for everyone as others might have the TLDs assigned to None to avoid automatic registration.

I played with this idea this afternoon while refining the "Grouping TLDs in Domain Checker" code initially discussed in the thread below...

http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?87250-Group-domain-extensions-%28TLDs%29-in-domain-checker

I can now make domainchecker only show "active" TLDs (TLDs assigned to any other registrar apart from "None") - this removes the inactive TLDs checkboxes... but this could usually be bypassed by typing the TLD into the search box... however, I can additionally tweak the search results to remove any TLD result that is not an "active" TLD.

whether this could work on adddomain.tpl, I don't know - if I get a chance over the weekend, I might take a closer look at getting adddomain.tpl to do this too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm currently in the middle of setting up these new TLDS that are out.

Could someone tell me if there are any special additional domain fields?

Or to set them up is it a matter of:-

1. Adding them to the TLD price list

2. Adding the new domains to the whois page

Once done the above, i can then search for the new domains via domain checker, choose the one i want and order it as i would a .com for example?

Also if someone could be so kind to help me out with one more drama im having or point me in the right direction. Im wanting to add international domain like .fr .es .asia .it etc.. etc... but am finding it difficult to find the information i need to enter into the additional domains page.

Ive checked WHMCS's and enom's adding custom TLDs but it doesnt say which extension requires additional fields.

Really appreciate if someone could help me out

Im with enom for my domains.

Thank You

We have not added any additional fields to ours, think the one time we needed it was for a .fr and we submitted that manually after the auto register failed.... not found the need on others.

Thank you very much for the info.

I also found the .fr requires additional info, i think the additional field for that is legal type. Not to sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Rate limiting on whois.donuts.co?? After only 3 whois lookups within whmcs I am getting this now...

Your request is being rate limited. Please reduce the frequency of your requests and try again later

Has anyone found a way around this?

This is a real problem :-(

It seems the donuts whois server will only allow three lookups at any time. If customer searches for more than three new gTLD's after the first three requests the others come up as unavailable.

This is a real problem :-(

It seems the donuts whois server will only allow three lookups at any time. If customer searches for more than three new gTLD's after the first three requests the others come up as unavailable.

i've been in contact with Donuts about this issue today and they did say that they will consider my suggestion of relaxing the whois lookup throttling... but maybe they were just being polite! :)

basically, the WHOIS service is limited to 10 queries per second on both port 43 and for HTTP access from one source IP - so if you query more than 10 a second you will be black listed.

they did mention a possible workaround - it's too late to play with the idea tonight, but i'll revisit it tomorrow and let you know if it works..

i've been in contact with Donuts about this issue today and they did say that they will consider my suggestion of relaxing the whois lookup throttling... but maybe they were just being polite! :)

basically, the WHOIS service is limited to 10 queries per second on both port 43 and for HTTP access from one source IP - so if you query more than 10 a second you will be black listed.

they did mention a possible workaround - it's too late to play with the idea tonight, but i'll revisit it tomorrow and let you know if it works..

I'm in discussions with them right now and I'm disappointed that I'm being fobbed off with excuses. The fact is that you only have to search for three or four new gTLD's before any more show up as unavailable - the rate limiting is far more restrictive than ten queries per second.

They tried to suggest it was down to caching at our end - ridiculous.

It's almost as if they don't want to sell these domains at all!

Just been doing some more testing and it seems sometimes I can search for 10 or 12 tld's and the lookups are all successful - then if I try again a minute later - several domains in a search show as unavailable. It's pretty random - I can choose 7 or 8 donuts tld's and usually one or two of them come up as unavailable. If I search for the same ones again individually they show as available to register.

It makes no sense to me that they have released dozens of these tld's for general availability - yet they haven't considered that people might want to actually search for more than a handful at a time. Some customers will simply check all the boxes to see if their name is available.

They should at least triple the threshold in my opinion.

Hi Chris,

I agree with your frustration on this topic - donuts simply don't seem to get that this is an issue that will ultimately cost them domain registrations.

my suggestion to them was instead of putting a limit on whois.donuts.co, to put separate limits on each of the tld whois servers... so instead of using whois.donuts.co for all of these domains, we use the specific whois server for that tld - whois.nic.ventures for .ventures; whois.nic.singles for .singles etc... these all currently work, but I suspect they're all aliased back to whois.donuts.co and so contributing towards an apparent flood of requests to the whois server.

so if I search 20 tlds, it sends 20 requests to whois.donuts.co and the results get throttled.... but if each individual tld whois had its own limit, it would be 1 request for each tld to the appropriate whois server and no lookup limits would be met.

frankly, this is so basic they should have thought of it before launch - we'd almost be better off either having no whois server option or a less strict one... this middle ground does nobody any favours.

• 3 months later...
Just had a customer order a premium domain and one good thing to note, the current eNom API will not successfully register them, it gives the following error:

Error: CustomerSuppliedPrice is invalid or missing

So this saved us from paying twice the price for a domain than we are selling it for, however still have the awkward bit of having to contact the client to notify them that this is a premium priced domain and we'll have to charge them more if they want it or refund them.

Hi Ryan, did you ever get to the bottom of this error, or did you just drop the offending tld?

Hi Ryan, did you ever get to the bottom of this error, or did you just drop the offending tld?

No, the WHMCS eNom API doesn't support New TLD Premium Domains so we just have a clause in our order form that they'll be contacting if they order a premium domain and will have the option to pay the difference or be refunded. Very inconvenient but all we can do at the moment if we want to sell the New TLDs.

No, the WHMCS eNom API doesn't support New TLD Premium Domains so we just have a clause in our order form that they'll be contacting if they order a premium domain and will have the option to pay the difference or be refunded. Very inconvenient but all we can do at the moment if we want to sell the New TLDs.

Thanks, just had the same issue here, thought that might be the problem. Thanks for confirming so quick :)