US Sales Tax

A320guy

Hello,

How does the sales tax get setup in WHMCS for use in the US? I know I'm stating the obvious here, but each city has a different sales tax rate in the states I do most of my business (Ohio and Florida).

From what I can see, I can set the tax for the state, but I don't see where I add the tax for the city?

Also, I don't see how I can apply the tax to various products or services? For example, webhosting is taxable, but any consulting services I might bill for are not always taxable.

Thanks.

Would tax rates differ per city? I assume that would be just for the state as a whole of which, as you mentioned you can specify in the tax rules section.

To enable / disable tax per product navigate to: Setup -> Products / Services -> Product / Services -> *Select a product* -> Under the 'Details' tab tick / untick "Apply Tax".

You CAN'T provision it so each city has its own tax rate. The tax rate goes with the State the customer selects. I was always under the assumption that tax rates were based on the state, NOT the city..

Thank you for the response. I have a hard time accepting this.... Surely there are people using this product in the US right? I know of at least a dozen states where each city is different sales tax wise...

As I search around the forums a bit re sales tax, I'm starting to realize that WHMCS is not for use in the US.

Is there maybe a third party plugin that can convert WHMCS for use in the US for sales taxes?

I don't believe a 3rd-party solution exists - i've seen threads about state/county/city taxes for a *long* time and there is a feature request about it.

https://requests.whmcs.com/responses/allow-for-us-based-taxes-based-on-counties

I would assume that if someone could have coded an addon for this, they would have done so by now - but perhaps its worth posting in marketplace to see if someone wants to do it.

I don't believe a 3rd-party solution exists - i've seen threads about state/county/city taxes for a *long* time and there is a feature request about it.

https://requests.whmcs.com/responses/allow-for-us-based-taxes-based-on-counties

I would assume that if someone could have coded an addon for this, they would have done so by now - but perhaps its worth posting in marketplace to see if someone wants to do it.

Thanks for the response. I would think this should just be a standard feature of the product without having to pay extra but I understand that whmcs is mainly for use in Europe (VAT style sales taxes). Thanks.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

In NY we have 2 sales tax levels, State wide and County. This can be an issue however we bill only hosting products and professional services out of WHMCS so we have not had to charge sales tax per NYS. That being said, I would like to know how other people are addressing this since this could become an issue for us.

In NY we have 2 sales tax levels, State wide and County. This can be an issue however we bill only hosting products and professional services out of WHMCS so we have not had to charge sales tax per NYS. That being said, I would like to know how other people are addressing this since this could become an issue for us.

Unfortunately, if you start needing to charge sales tax in NY, you will have to stop using WHMCS as there just is no provision for US sales taxes, no plugins or addons, no work arounds.

This is a huge problem for me as well. We really need better sales tax support in WHMCS. How hard could it possibly be to add this?

It does seem hard to believe, but from what I have read in the forums, it has been on the want list for a long time but has never been made a priority. Obviously the draw to whmcs is the integration with software such as cpanel which I presume you need.

Most US states/counties don't tax web hosting services, you might wan to double check with your accountant that you need to be collecting sales tax for Florida and Ohio. Otherwise if you need to charge a different tax based on city/county you will need do some custom development or submit a feature request.

Most US states/counties don't tax web hosting services, you might wan to double check with your accountant that you need to be collecting sales tax for Florida and Ohio. Otherwise if you need to charge a different tax based on city/county you will need do some custom development or submit a feature request.

I'm only responding to this because I was the original poster. We have other products and services besides web hosting that we intended to use whmcs for, not just webhosting. We've unfortunately had to move to a different product which is a shame because nobody does the cpanel integration quite like whmcs. As far as the feature request, I'm seeing threads go back to 2006 so I don't see it as likely whmcs will implement this. I think the idea here is this product was designed to work in Europe with a VAT style tax system, whmcs was never really designed to work with US businesses from what I can see.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We have other products and services besides web hosting that we intended to use whmcs for, not just webhosting.

We are exactly in the same boat, and I am very surprised that WHMCS doesn't have a tax structure that allows for multiple level1 taxes, and itemization of them on invoices/cart. This is a much needed, and much requested feature.

We are exactly in the same boat, and I am very surprised that WHMCS doesn't have a tax structure that allows for multiple level1 taxes, and itemization of them on invoices/cart. This is a much needed, and much requested feature.

WHMCS is a wonderful product, but it is very clear that the creators of this product are keeping its main audience focused on European customers. Sales tax, as important as it is, is just not a priority with this product.

Make sure you confirm that your not tax exempt first. In my state i found an old tax law that stated that my type of business was gross receipts tax exempt. So i called the tax office and gave them the information and they confirmed it for me, otherwise i would have to pay also. So i file my taxes 2x a year, i just put my normal tax amount then negate it in the other column by using "-" for example $100.00 -$100.00 and they run it thru every time no problem...

So be sure your not exempt first. You might fall under telecommunications type business like us where it specifically says "hosting companies, ISP ect.. "

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...