MaxMind Not Working Limits Exceeded For Free Service

nhudson

We recently started getting errors in our MaxMind saying "MAX_REQUESTS_REACHED", even though we have over 17000 queries available to us. We contacted MaxMind and they told us it was an issue with WHMCS and that they need to simply add "requested_type=premium" to the query. So I sent in a ticket, because this is obviously a flaw with WHMCS, and got the following reply:

I'm afraid WHMCS does not support the MinFraud Premium service at this time, only the Standard service.

However this shouldn't prevent you from performing Minfraud standard lookups. You will need to persist with Maxmind support to get them to add some more Minfraud Standard lookups to your account.

We also welcome suggestions for new features on our feature request system: http://requests.whmcs.com

Feel free to search existing feature requests, vote, comment and submit your ideas.

So, apparently, because WHMCS development team has a history of sloppy code and didn't properly implement MaxMind, we have to suffer? We have to suffer because we get enough orders in a month that we can't use the free service like most other people? We have to push MaxMind to do something that they shouldn't have to do, because WHMCS developers are sloppy?

This is not acceptable and needs to be fixed. If you're not going to PROPERLY implement something, don't implement it at all! I think we're all tired of WHMCS's half-assed coding.

- - - Updated - - -

Ticket #CTL-335526 for anyone that works here that actually wants to help instead of blow the issue off.

If you are getting that many orders you should be paying for Security services anyway! I use MaxMind and don't find their services to be expensive

- - - Updated - - -

Hell, WHMCS cant even get their own products (iWHMCS) working 100%. Why would they support something else.. WHMCS is going downhill at a rapid decent. I hope things change around....

I agree WHMCS's bureaucracy is ruining it.

Just stop it at once. Put your cards on the table and solve the problems. WHMCS have money, hire decent programmers and turn things around.

I feel it lacks a strong arm on the company, a visionaire CEO with strong will.

If you are getting that many orders you should be paying for Security services anyway! I use MaxMind and don't find their services to be expensive

The problem here is that we DO pay for MaxMind... WHMCS only supports the "free" version of MaxMind.

I wanted to follow-up with everyone. The fix for this problem was deployed with 5.2.13. Once you have updated, see the following steps to adjust the Maxmind service type:

1. Login to the WHMCS Admin area

2. Under Setup click on Fraud Protection.

3. Within the Fraud Protection Select Maxmind.

4. On the Maxmind setup menu, find the Service Type option and select either Standard or Premium.

• 10 months later...

I know this is 10 months since the last post on this thread, but.....

Using standard on this for more than 8 years. Never a problem until today. MAX_REQUESTS_REACHED

Waiting on maxmind coming back to me. Anyone in this thread have any ideas over and above what has already been posted in this thread? Thanks.

This service is no more for free available since 1st October. You need to buy the service.

Dear MaxMind customer,

You currently participate in a MaxMind promotion which grants you free Basic minFraud queries each month. Effective October 1, 2014, this promotion will be discontinued.

To continue using minFraud, you should purchase a minFraud subscription. Purchasing a subscription will give you access to many more data points not available with Basic queries.

For any inquiries, suggestions, and concerns, please contact support@maxmind.com. Thank you for your continuing patronage.

Sincerely,

MaxMind

Regards,

Marco

This back from maxmind support:

Pardon our mistake -- my apologies. We recently discontinued free minFraud queries for some users, but a handful of WHMCS promotional users were included in the discontinuation accidentally. I've added those free queries back to your account, which should resolve your issue. Please keep in touch if I can assist you with anything else.

It's all working perfectly again.

How is that possible?

I purchased the service because it stopped working with exactly the same reason (MAX_REQUESTS_REACHED) and the fact that discontinuation has been announced a month ago.

You got it back for free and I'm glad for you but this sounds like a bad joke and I have to contact maxmind and request a statement from them.