What method do you guys use to edit the template files?

rmarkin

I am having some trouble editing the .tpl files and was wondering how the majority of you do it?

I use Dreamweaver on a regular basis and am fairly proficient with it but it does not do a very good job rendering the template files. Also since I cannot look at how the index.php pages are laid out because of ioncube I haven't been able to get very far.

Do most of you use a wysiwyg editor similar to DW?

Do you then just open a file such header.tpl in DW?

I have seen posts that say how absurdly easy it is to edit these templates but I must be missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

I use dreamweaver aswell, although i use the coding view mainly as the wysiwyg editor does'nt always display correctly and has a habit of inserting

tags everywhere!

With the tempate editing you can use dreamweavers wysiwyg editor to briefly visualise what your looking at - but you really need to get down and dirty with the code for true manipulation.

That said, i havent actually made a new template yet, rather just edited existing ones slightly.

I use Cyberduck (FTP client) along with TextMate (text editor). They both work along very well and both of these product can do live updating. I just change something up, press save, and it's already on the webserver. TextMate is about $50, but I bought it and it's worth every penny. I use it for all my web development projects.

Thanks for all of the ideas!

Carl,

I like your idea and have started to just use DW mostly in code view. The only real problem is that I am not really good enough with divs to visualize what they are going to do with all of the styling. I guess I just need to get better.

It is a very rough draft, but you can see what I am working on at fernleydigital.com/billing

I don't have any of the other pages done yet do don't click any links!

Thanks,

Robert

I usually use color-coded syntax editors when I work with websites. I *love* using Notepad+.

Most of the time I honestly will just use VIM to edit files, versus having to worry about having files local-side, AND server side.

Occasionally I'll use CuteFTP's built-in editor to edit files on the go, when I don't feel like editing via SSH (PuTTy too).

• 3 weeks later...

From the sounds of what you folks are explaining here, it sounds like WHMCS is not designed to be easily integrated into an existing web design. Correct me if I am getting this wrong. I have an existing site, so if I want to embed/link to an order form which displays just the order and nothing else, how would I do that? I like the product so far, but there is not enough information in the manual regarding how to integrate WHMCS into your web site. From what I am hearing, its almost as if you have to integrate your site into WHMCS not the other way around. I might just be thinking about it all the wrong way, so you will have to excuse me if I sound a little uninformed. Hopefully someone can provide me with a link to a good thread or knowledge article explaining this in more detail.

• WHMCS CEO

See if these articles help:

Integrating with your site - http://v3manual.whmcs.com/?id=25

Template Syntax - http://v3manual.whmcs.com/?id=26

Switching Templates - http://v3manual.whmcs.com/?id=147

The only thing not covered there is actually writing HTML but that's taken as a prerequisite for being able to edit templates so hope that helps!

Matt

Matt/anyone..

I reviewed those links, but there is just one thing I am not entirely clear on. Let's say I have an existing web site. Now, I have a product defined in WHMCS, and from my web site I want to add the Direct Order Link. When someone clicks on that link, I would just like to display the order form with my web site wrapped around it. Presently, if I navigate to the direct order link, it doesn't just show the order on its own -- it shows the entire WHMCS portal wrapped around it.

The way it is right now, whenever someone navigates to my direct order form link, it shows a left-hand side nav bar with links like "client Area", "announcements", "Knowledgebase", etc. I don't really want that showing, especially to people who aren't logged into WHMCS.

Apologies if I am confusing anyone here.

Thanks for any assistance.