send a paid invoice and then user can still pay

3awh

I have a situation that the customers 3 of them need a Paid invoice in order to send the paper work to their company to get the money to pay the invoice. It can't be a Quote it has to be the invoice with a paid mark on it.

How can I do this?

Your clients can download a second PDF once they have paid the invoice this has a paid status.

Sending out paid invoices opens you up to the risk of a client claiming your system has an error and is not showing as paid even though they have proof in form of a pdf invoice that says they have. Obviously deeper investigation would see what's going on because there would be no transactions from the gateway so it wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny.

What if somebody who is not aware of the process, maybe a staff member let these slip through and wouldnt know it wasnt an error?

I suppose the real question is, why are they sending on your invoices? if they are agents of other person(s) then they should be doing their own billing and accounting and invoices should be done under their own company and not yours.

Edited by CDJ Hosting

why does their account system need marked paid invoices before the invoice is paid, no genuine company would ask for this.

If its a departmental thing then it is still wrong as

1) invoice generated and sent to contact (department)

2) this department then sends a copy of unpaid invoice to their accounts department.

3) the accounts department then pays the invoice direct or releases the funds to the department they can pay the invoice.

never send a paid invoice before payment has been made and cleared, The IRS could think something fishy going on to avoid taxes which could lead both you and the other company in big trouble.

I can see the point with departments, but as you said, i see no reason this should be marked as paid before it is.

I think you hit the nail on the head with something fishy. Even large companies that have one department that releases funds to other departments would know that an invoice that needs paying wouldn't be marked paid.

If its a case where the department has a fund in place to make payments and has to apply to recover their outgoings then the method i first stated is all that is needed, they just need to download the invoice after the invoice has been paid and it will have their required paid status on it.

This does seem odd to me however, normally accounting is done by just one department to eliminate errors, both incoming and outgoing.

Edited by CDJ Hosting

OK I think I was not Clear I want the invoice to be marked as paid I know the People that the websites are for and so they don't have to use their own money I need the Invoice to be paid and then still be able to pay the invoice.

I understand that its Bad practice but it need to be marked as PAID so they can get the money back.

I'm not going into detail on who or what company. Is there a way to do this with WHMCS?

My regular hosting is not run like this.

OK I think I was not Clear I want the invoice to be marked as paid I know the People that the websites are for and so they don't have to use their own money I need the Invoice to be paid and then still be able to pay the invoice.

I understand that its Bad practice but it need to be marked as PAID so they can get the money back.

I'm not going into detail on who or what company. Is there a way to do this with WHMCS?

My regular hosting is not run like this.

so you want invoices marked as paid, so you can pass onto your friends , so they can pass these onto their company to get the money for the invoices THEY HAVE NOT PAID. I would say this is rather fishy and could be fraud as how can they get the money back from their company if they have not paid anything to you.

Who said they have not paid anything to me they have been with me for over a year. Why is this so hard to understand.

I'm the one that wants to do this not them. In order for them to get paid then, Me get paid I need them to have paid invoices . The question was not is it fishy. Its not fishy when I want to do it this way.

I'm saving them out of pocket money. the Organization pays for the hosting.

This is getting harder then I wanted forget it

then the answer is really simple, BILL THE ORGANISATION. Sorry but it screams * the more information you give, When the person has paid the invoice THEN they claim it back, If you wish that they don'tt have to pay you until the organisation pays them. Have them contact the organisation to collect payment. If they have an arrangement with the organisation that they must first pay, then not doing so is breaching the contract that must be in place otherwise this wouldnt even be an issue. Have your client contact their client for payment, then pay you, or have them pay you and then they will have their paid invoice. Its really that simple.

Sorry but i wont be commenting any further on this as i said, it just screams *. my apologies if this is genuine but i cant help thinking it is not.

I have a situation that the customers 3 of them need a Paid invoice in order to send the paper work to their company to get the money to pay the invoice. It can't be a Quote it has to be the invoice with a paid mark on it.

How can I do this?

if you have to do this, then one solution might be to edit your language file, change the unpaid text, produce your pdf and then change the language file text back to unpaid.

$_LANG['invoicesunpaid'] = "Unpaid";

change to

$_LANG['invoicesunpaid'] = "Paid";

alternatively, photoshop a paid corner from a previous pdf over the unpaid invoice !

Your entitled to your opinion. Why would it be a * If I'm the one that wants it that way. I belong to the organization and it was worked out that I would provide a paid invoice so the person had no out of pocket expense since the organization is a community server organization and they require a paid invoice so the person gets the money back. I see these people every week at meeting and there was no reason I can think of to explain it to you its not your business to question how I want to do it. you have nothing constructive to say why say it. off my soap box now.

@brian! Thank you so Much that will work Wow what we had to go through to get an Answer.

thank you so much this topic is now closed

but you want to issue a paid invoice BEFORE the invoice is paid so they your friend can get their money back, but if you have issued the paid invoice before they have paid you how can they get their money back if they have not paid it. this seems a * by your friend, which yes would also involve you if the IRS get involved and find out, this is why companies keep paper trails.

1) issued unpaid invoice

2) invoice marked paid (receipt)

these are 2 different documents which are usually stapled together and then placed in companies accounts, any IRS audit would require both of these.

you have confused me even further with your last response, if you are a part of the same organisation i cant see any reason as to why you would be billing through somebody else when you should be billing directly. This just makes no sense to me at all. I note you have resolved it with the method i stated in the first place so i shall leave it at that.

if you have to do this, then one solution might be to edit your language file, change the unpaid text, produce your pdf and then change the language file text back to unpaid.

$_LANG['invoicesunpaid'] = "Unpaid";

change to

$_LANG['invoicesunpaid'] = "Paid";

alternatively, photoshop a paid corner from a previous pdf over the unpaid invoice !

but this would effect every PDF invoice that is sent to every client

I'm sorry I asked the question.

I have decided to not do this and they will have to pay out of pocket and then when they get the paid pdf from the system they submit it a to get the money back with there quarterly budget.

but this would effect every PDF invoice that is sent to every client

I wasn't suggesting to leave it like that, but was working on the assumption there was already an invoice in the system (currently marked unpaid), and as the pdfs are produced on the press of a button in admin, quickly creating this false paid pdf invoice and then changing the language settings back... obviously any new orders coming through at the same time would also be affected, but the whole process could only take seconds to complete.

I absolutely agree with your concerns about the need to do this, I was merely pointing out a quick way that it could be done.

I'm sorry I asked the question.

I have decided to not do this and they will have to pay out of pocket and then when they get the paid pdf from the system they submit it a to get the money back with there quarterly budget.

You were right to ask the question don't be sorry for that, we were just trying to steer you away from something that might very well land you in a lot of trouble that is all.

I apologise if my phrasing seemed a little harsh i was just trying to get a point across and if you think about it, if we see this as a risk, imagine what the tax man is going to think while he is inspecting your returns. Remember they also look for any signs of fraud and this could appear to be even if its all very innocent.