Send a welcome letter to new clients (automatically)

harrip

In addition to using WHMCS, I operate L-Mail.com and online letter writing service. In summary, users transmit letters to us and we print and post them from 23 locations around the world - an automatic process.

We have produced a WHMCS plugin that enables a welcome letter to be automatically sent to new customers after they sign up. The letter works well for us as we include user details so clients have a written reminder and also promotional offers as incentives for customers to open further accounts or to pass to friends.

If this may be of interest to other WHMCS users, please pop along to http://www.l-mail.com/goto/whmcs and download a free copy of the plug in.

Cheers,

Pete

Cheers to those willing to give this a try. We're getting some positive feedback from our clients and some extra orders as they take advantage of the promotion we include in our letter. Please shout if you need any assistance with the implementation.

Generic - the price at US$1.14 is around GBP 57p. This includes the automation, postage, stationery and ink.

For UK businesses with USA clients, this represents a good saving on the Royal Mail price of GBP 78p for an airmail letter. The L-Mail letter is produced in the USA therefore arriving quicker. Domestically, the savings are not as great in terms of price but in terms of convenience through automation I believe they are still significant.

You can include the WHMCS user name (the email address) and password. Which other fields are necessary for you, we can see if they can be added. As a standalone application, this presently reads the client data table from the mySQL database.

• 3 weeks later...

The information can be sent to the L-Mail servers via an encrypted connection. It is then transmitted to the various printing/posting locations again via an encrypted connection where they are processed by vetted individuals under confidentiality agreements. Letters are then placed into sealed envelopes before being placed in the local postal system.

Personally, I believe this to be more secure than unencrypted welcome emails going over open networks.

• 2 weeks later...

harrip:

I haven't looked at this plugin yet - but it sounds very intriguing. I'll be trying it out soon, I'm sure. I'm just getting started with WHMCS.

When you get around to handling invoices, I hope you'll build in some sort of mechanism whereby we can determine on a customer by customer basis who will receive invoices by mail. We'll want to charge extra for the feature to cover the costs, and only provide it to customers who absolutely need it and are willing to pay for it.

• 2 weeks later...

We'd rarely need to send welcome letters via post, however, we do have a few luddites for customers who cannot receive email and the ability to send invoices to them via post would be fantastic.

I notice that postal invoices is mentioned as a possible future enhancement. Any news on this?

And does your service work in Australia?

I was interested, but it seems the merge fields for WHMCS are rather limited. If I could send a full welcome letter with all the passwords, URLs, etc. I would be interested in trying it out.

John

Do you really think sending a letter with passwords and URLs would be safe?

When banks send out your PIN, it usually arrives in a separate and unmarked mailing -- with the PIN being hidden with a special material you have to scratch off (ie. like the lottery tickets).

I was interested, but it seems the merge fields for WHMCS are rather limited. If I could send a full welcome letter with all the passwords, URLs, etc. I would be interested in trying it out.

John

When banks send out your PIN, it usually arrives in a separate and unmarked mailing -- with the PIN being hidden with a special material you have to scratch off (ie. like the lottery tickets).

Were talking about a hosting account, not a financial account and no, most banks dont do the scratch off thing in the US.

John

Were talking about a hosting account, not a financial account and no, most banks dont do the scratch off thing in the US.

Are you saying most banks send out PIN numbers totally exposed on a letterhead?

As far as sending out passwords and URLs in a letter, it's not very safe with regard to security. It would be better to just call the person and give them their password over the phone.

Now, sending a welcome letter to say hello or whatever, that's a nice idea.

John

Are you saying most banks send out PIN numbers totally exposed on a letterhead?

As far as sending out passwords and URLs in a letter, it's not very safe with regard to security. It would be better to just call the person and give them their password over the phone.

Now, sending a welcome letter to say hello or whatever, that's a nice idea.

Yes they do, but they do send the pins separately than the card like you said before. They are in special protected paper, but again, no scratch off. Calling to give passwords is just dumb, thats insecure as well on multiple levels.

Yes they do, but they do send the pins separately than the card like you said before. They are in special protected paper, but again, no scratch off. Calling to give passwords is just dumb, thats insecure as well on multiple levels.

I think you are wrong about no scratch off being used in the US. Most all (if not all) financial institutions in Canada including VISA/Mastercard and American Express use this security practice. I see no reason why US institutions would be out of the loop on that. Many of our big corporate security practices and guidelines originate in the US anyway. Unless of course you are talking about some little bank like Apple's Family Bank & Co. in bumblerock, USA.

And about the phone call, it is not insecure. If you have someone on the telephone and you confirm their identity, where exactly is it insecure on "multiple levels"?

I think you are wrong about no scratch off being used in the US. Most all (if not all) financial institutions in Canada including VISA/Mastercard and American Express use this security practice. I see no reason why US institutions would be out of the loop on that. Many of our big corporate security practices and guidelines originate in the US anyway. Unless of course you are talking about some little bank like Apple's Family Bank & Co. in bumblerock, USA.

And about the phone call, it is not insecure. If you have someone on the telephone and you confirm their identity, where exactly is it insecure on "multiple levels"?

Perhaps you should create a poll not being a resident of the US. I can assure you that I have never received a "scratch off" and have multiple bank and credit card accounts for multiple businesses and personal accounts. So please don't argue a point when you have no facts :)

Yeah, I must agree, I have never received a piece of mail like that. In fact all the banks/financial institutions either have you call up from your home phone to activate or go into the place to setup your pin. Atleast that's with my experience.

• 2 months later...