Linkedin security breached

Hi

I just got this email from Linkedin

You may or may not have heard that Linkedin has had their security breached and a huge number of users names and passwords have been secured; as such we´d highly recommend you CHANGING your Linkedin password with immediate effect and protect your security.

If you use the same password and user name for other sites, such as facebook etc. we recommend you change them all.

whats the world coming too.

How manys that in the last few weeks?

Old news I'm afraid, but there have been a lot of breaches lately. It took LinkedIn a while to admit they had been hacked and even longer to send out an email, warning everyone to change their passwords. Fortunately I rarely use LinkedIn.

If anyone uses any of these websites, change your password immediately as they've recently been hacked and passwords leaked.

Last.FM

LinkedIn

eHarmony

John;226130']Old news I'm afraid' date=' but there have been a lot of breaches lately. It took LinkedIn a while to admit they had been hacked and even longer to send out an email, warning everyone to change their passwords. Fortunately I rarely use LinkedIn.

If anyone uses any of these websites, change your password immediately as they've recently been hacked and passwords leaked.

Last.FM

LinkedIn

eHarmony[/quote']

but LinkedIn seem to havew the samme mentality as facebook, as when facebook gets attacked rather than them look at where its coming from or how they are getting in its a simple " please change all your passwords and you will be safe"

Most of the facebook breaches are from weak passwords being broken by brute force. There is not much Facebook can do to fix that, except maybe require strong passwords.

The linkedin and eharmony issues seem to be more robust, since they have published the databases.

Most of the facebook breaches are from weak passwords being broken by brute force.

Not 100% true as we use a very strong password along with others that i know had their accounts breached. all you get from Facebook (thats when they locate their computer to actually read your message and then reply) is we are looking into this, please just change your paswords and you will be safe"

Mashable published a list of the 30 most used passwords from the LI breach. Any company that allows their users to use such simple passwords should be flogged. These companies could all save themselves a lot of headaches if they forced stronger passwords.

{link removed}

who do members insist on publishing such links when WHMCS staff are always stating not to publish such links.

Edited by easyhosting

Assuming the word "who" was meant to be "why":

who do members insist on publishing such links when WHMCS staff are always stating not to publish such links.

I have seen WHMCS ask us not to post links to material supporting or encouraging inappropriate content or activity, but I have not ever seen them criticize a link in support of a discussion that on its own merit caused no harm.

You and I were discussing password issues, and I felt the article was relevant. I'm sure they will correct me if I am wrong.

members insist on publishing such links when WHMCS staff are always stating not to publish such links.

There is nothing at that link that exposes user information, it's just a discussion of the issue. Quite different from linking to database dumps, methods to hack or actual exploit code. My guess is you saw "password list" in the link and assumed?

I have seen WHMCS ask us not to post links to material supporting or encouraging inappropriate content or activity, but I have not ever seen them criticize a link in support of a discussion that on its own merit caused no harm.

You and I were discussing password issues, and I felt the article was relevant. I'm sure they will correct me if I am wrong.

No, it's not an issue to talk about things like this. See above.