Verification Email to prevent Paypal Fraud

Hi Guys,

Recently the number of paypal fraud orders increased on our system and we are wondering how to prevent them.

We would like to use a module or addon to verify customer paypal account and make sure that a new client is the owner of the Paypal account that he/she is using.

We couldn't find any way to verify new customer paypal email,if you someone here able to provide us such Addon, that would be great then.

For example :

This Addon could send a confirmation to the customer Paypal's email address then we are able to check if the new client got access to that.

Thanks,

Navid

We would like to use a module or addon to verify customer paypal account and make sure that a new client is the owner of the Paypal account that he/she is using.

This Addon could send a confirmation to the customer Paypal's email address then we are able to check if the new client got access to that.

They already get an email - from paypal when the funds are sent, and you can verify the client details simply by logging in to paypal's webiste

Anything that looks even remotely dodgy, refund and report to PP

No , I think you did not get that.

Maybe someone going to use another name and email to his/her client area then?

We would like to check that If they got access to their Paypal's email address and It could decrease our fraud.

Do you use MaxMind at all? They also have a phone verification feature. It costs pennies per order but will likely save a 25$ charge back fee =)

They offer a 1000 check trial for free with no expiration. Just sign up and activate the module. More than likely if they get past that then the PP is legit.

Recently the number of paypal fraud orders increased on our system and we are wondering how to prevent them.

I know everything possibility about Fraud check .Thanks

Then you dont need any help.

I have not had a PayPal fraud order this year. You are doing something wrong.

Maybe someone going to use another name and email to his/her client area then?

Yes, and the receipt for payment goes to the *PAYPAL ACCOUNT HOLDER* from paypal

We would like to check that If they got access to their Paypal's email address and It could decrease our fraud.

You can check that the email address they used is the right one, on the details of the payment page in PayPal

There is no way to automated what you're asking for

Well, thats not entirely true. You could create a hook with "InvoicePaid" and check to see if they used paypal. If so, do a GetTransactionDetails API call to paypal to grab the paying email address from the specific transaction ID linked to the invoice.

From there, you could send a custom message to the owner with a link to click on to "Authorize" the purchase. The authorize link would basically be some kind of encoded URL that points to a custom script that changes the status of an order. The original hook would need to change the status of the order to something other than "Completed" You can set custom statusus to orders, they just wont display in the admin area unless you modify the URLs. You could simply add a new link in the "Orders" menu to point to your custom status.

For example, Pending Orders goes to a page called:

admin/orders.php?status=Pending

You could potentially update the order that is pending paypal review to "Pending Review" and then create a link in the menu to:

admin/orders.php?status=Pending%20Review

Once the paypal account holder clicks the link in the email to verify their identity, it reverts the order status back to complete and you can proceed to charge them accordingly.

I'm actually working on another small module using the paypal API, maybe I'll write this one as well.

Yes, and the receipt for payment goes to the *PAYPAL ACCOUNT HOLDER* from paypal

You can check that the email address they used is the right one, on the details of the payment page in PayPal

I think I should explain again .

It's clear that I can find the email address directly from our Paypal account page.

I opened this thread If someone could make a module for the verification Paypal email.

If someone could create this then would be great for us .

• 2 weeks later...
Well, thats not entirely true. You could create a hook with "InvoicePaid" and check to see if they used paypal. If so, do a GetTransactionDetails API call to paypal to grab the paying email address from the specific transaction ID linked to the invoice.

From there, you could send a custom message to the owner with a link to click on to "Authorize" the purchase. The authorize link would basically be some kind of encoded URL that points to a custom script that changes the status of an order. The original hook would need to change the status of the order to something other than "Completed" You can set custom statusus to orders, they just wont display in the admin area unless you modify the URLs. You could simply add a new link in the "Orders" menu to point to your custom status.

You could potentially update the order that is pending paypal review to "Pending Review" and then create a link in the menu to:

Once the paypal account holder clicks the link in the email to verify their identity, it reverts the order status back to complete and you can proceed to charge them accordingly.

I'm actually working on another small module using the paypal API, maybe I'll write this one as well.

Great Idea.

I have not had a PayPal fraud order this year. You are doing something wrong.

My setup is such that I want to allow automatically setup of accounts in highest possible manner. I'm only using PayPal for provisioning. So I'm wondering if you can recommend a specific setup that can eliminate fraudulent PayPal orders to slip through.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for such WHMCS module actually. This can minimize the fraudulent PayPal order to less then 0,001%.

Any new on this one?

I'm looking for such WHMCS module actually. This can minimize the fraudulent PayPal order to less then 0,001%.

Any new on this one?

Its probably best to wait for WHMCS 5.1. The custom statuses I mentioned earlier are actually going to be in that release.

Its probably best to wait for WHMCS 5.1. The custom statuses I mentioned earlier are actually going to be in that release.

Actually I got the answer from WHMCS staff that "this is not something that I can see on our dev list currently. This does not however mean it will never be implemented."

Cheers.

Actually I got the answer from WHMCS staff that "this is not something that I can see on our dev list currently. This does not however mean it will never be implemented."

Cheers.

Sure, the specific feature isnt on the list. But the ability to set custom statuses for orders is. That is where the main functionality will come from as I outlined in my idea. I could probably hack something together now, but it will have to be changed when 5.1 comes out and official support for custom statuses is added.

Sure, the specific feature isnt on the list. But the ability to set custom statuses for orders is. That is where the main functionality will come from as I outlined in my idea. I could probably hack something together now, but it will have to be changed when 5.1 comes out and official support for custom statuses is added.

OK so it will work as explained in post forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=46281#8 ?

I need a bullet prof method of automatically scoring and acceptance of PayPal orders. For me it isn't important what happens under the hood, but to set pending suspicious transaction and pass valid PayPal transactions.

I'm willing to cover costs for your time.

Cheers.

• 7 months later...