My first WHMCS integration...hostedWithGeeks!

scar45

Hello felllow WHMCS'ers!

I have been delaying this post for months, as I have been trying to perfect absolutely everything about my design before releasing it to the intarwebs. Well, time waits for no one, and while there are probably some things that I could change, I really need to get this going as I have been struggling to earn money since my time has been tied up in this work.

I won't go on and on in this first post, but there are a couple of things I wanted to mention:

• - This is my first WHMCS design, I really hadn't used WHMCS before, but I think I was able to do a good job, which is only a testament to how great WHMCS is!
  • - I started on v4.5, but of course v5.0 comes out when I'm 80% done my design. This set me back a bit as I had to merge the v5.0 template changes in
  • - The entire site is run on WHMCS, and I attempted to style literally everything. Client area is reworked to match the front-end
  • - I really wanted to come up with a design that is unique and helps to set me apart
  • - I'm sure there is more than I can ramble on about, but I'll leave it to your feedback and suggestions for now

The site is now online here @ http://hostedWithGeeks.com, so I'd appreciate it if you checked it out and subsequently left me some feedback. I'll follow up as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance everyone!

hwg_logo.png

looks good, some time was taken with it.. In fact I need a new host out of the US for a monitoring site. I think I'll give you a try...

Hi mylove4life! That would be great! I'd love to have you as a client, especially if you're a bit familiar with WHMCS. I've styled up the Client Area as well, but it's hard to demo that if you're not an actual client of course.

Thanks for your feedback as well. You're definitely right that I put a lot of time into this, as I didn't want it to look like a stock WHMCS install. Looking forward to providing you with top notch service, as my box (running this on a dedicated server) is very roomy. PM me on here if you have any Q's!

Guys, your comments have made my day!! :D In my personal life, I'm about the only one who knows exactly what it takes to make a site like this, so your feedback means so much more to me than friends and family saying "it's really good". It was my goal to make the site look totally unique and non-WHMCS like, but again, that's no hit on WHMCS as it is wonderful and the team has included a really nice theme in v5.0.

@RhinoNick, cool that you are on Forrst! Please follow me on there and I'll do the same. I'd love to discuss a potential WHMCS theming project with you, just PM me on here and we can get started. Same goes for everyone else. As times are slow since I have been totally focused on WHMCS for months and months, I need to get back into some billable work. Would love to provide custom themes for you fellow WHMCS'ers out there!

I do have a portfolio online which can be seen in the Web Design section of hostedWithGeeks, however it's just a snippet of my real one located here: http://protogenlabs.com/portfolio. Of course, this portfolio needs to be updated, but the same saying goes, "No shoes for the shoemakers kids"...one day I'll have to make my kids some shoes (metaphorically speaking of course!).

Once again, thanks for your feedback folks, really means a lot and justifies the extensive time and detail I put into my work.

Cheers!

Looks custom based on the code.

laszlof is correct, it is custom, but does use a jQuery plugin for the background animation (jquery.backgroundPosition.js)

Great job on the site! It's very clean and professional.

How long did it take to complete this integration?

Thanks zomex! I've come across your site many times on WHT and this forum, and I must also say that it's great too. In terms of the time it took, I've been working on it for the past 6 months. If I was to 'crunch' those hours down, I'd say maybe 200 hours or so? (be forewarned, I'm a bit of a perfectionist as I said above, so I often get into extensive 'tweaks' to get things pixel-perfect)

Annomander, I thought if you create a new template folder by replicating the default template and work with that then core updates wont be a problem at all. What am I missing?

I actually based this off of the v4.5 template, then v5.0 came out, so I meticulously went through the Template Change Log notes for v5.0 and re-integrated everything. It sure wasn't fun, but I think it's worth it ;)

Thanks again for all of your feedback!!

Small updates are not a problem, I went from 4.03 to 5.03, but on the 5 I decided to start from scratch and make WHMCS external but still skinned with minimal changes.

It can be done just takes time, whmcs5 makes it a lot easier as it is more CSS based then 4 which had a lot of tables and unnecessary tagging.

Scar, I'm assuming you have winmerge? If not its a useful tool and free.

Small updates are not a problem, I went from 4.03 to 5.03, but on the 5 I decided to start from scratch and make WHMCS external but still skinned with minimal changes.

It can be done just takes time, whmcs5 makes it a lot easier as it is more CSS based then 4 which had a lot of tables and unnecessary tagging.

Scar, I'm assuming you have winmerge? If not its a useful tool and free.

Everything you said is true annomander, and yep, I do use WinMerge!

I was going to be lazy with my whmcs build and go simple since I know how easy it can be to go deep down a rabbit hole and end up 200+ hours deep into the dev. But then I saw scars build and got jealous and decided to take the red pill. Or was it the blue pill? ;P

Hope tp have something to show in a week or nine :)

load times are rough

There is surely more optimization that could be done, but I feel that one of the main reasons for a longer page load time is the Facebook/Twitter/G+ buttons. Need to do more research to improve how these load, since the client's browser has to contact all 3 social sites and wait for data.

Thanks for the note too tripler.

Its good, a little too busy for my taste

I woud loose the floating like+tweet that is just annoying =)

The features of VPS option displays as *******

you should do a quick php script in your footer configuration to auto update your copyright information to the year ...One of my favorite duh tips