Why?

x1halo1x

When I am logged into the admin panel. Click on the "addon's" page. It lists several of them as FREE. When you click the download link, it takes you to a different post and/or site.. only to find out it is a paid addon.

Why in the hell are they being listed as "free" when they aren't!

• WHMCS CEO

These "addons" you refer to are probably third party contributions & developments in the community addons directory. Where users can of course change the content on the page linked to once a listing has been approved and forget to update their listings. So please post the specific addons you've found with incorrect listings and we'll get them checked.

Matt

Matt,

They are 3rd party addon's. Here is a couple I have ran across so far. I am almost positive there's more though. Both of these are listed as FREE. I don't mind that the developers charge for their work, I can't blame them. However, listing them as free.. when they aren't. Is extremely deceptive. Maybe there should be 3 different options.. Commerical, Free Trail, and Free. Surely that would cut down on the confusion. I just receive a list of addon's my boss wants installed, only to find out he hasn't done any link clicking to find out they cost.

Gift Certificate Module,

Project Management for WHMCS,

Thanks. I will post more as I make it through this list of addon's to install.

Matt,

They are 3rd party addon's. Here is a couple I have ran across so far. I am almost positive there's more though. Both of these are listed as FREE. I don't mind that the developers charge for their work, I can't blame them. However, listing them as free.. when they aren't. Is extremely deceptive. Maybe there should be 3 different options.. Commerical, Free Trail, and Free. Surely that would cut down on the confusion. I just receive a list of addon's my boss wants installed, only to find out he hasn't done any link clicking to find out they cost.

Gift Certificate Module,

Project Management for WHMCS,

Thanks. I will post more as I make it through this list of addon's to install.

I don't think deceptive is the right word here. The built in addon area is a new feature so as with anything it'll take some time for these things to be corrected. Also 3rd party developers may start charging for a module which were once free.

Edited by zomex

As zomex pointed out,

If they list it free then the developer on his site charges for it, you simply need to wait for WHMCS to make their rounds and update. It is helpful to let the team know about it so they can jump on it like they do and correct the listing.

This is a new feature from inside WHMCS and I am sure something will be worked out for example:

If a developer of a addon lists it free then within a certain time charges for it and fails/forgets to notify the team then a suspension of being listed may be in place. That is an example, but possible. Maybe WHMCS shouldn't list it free or not and let people look into it to find out.

I don't think deceptive is the right word here. The built in addon area is a new feature so as with anything it'll take some time for these things to be corrected. Also 3rd party developers may start charging for a module which were once free.

It lists/shows as FREE. Then you find out it's not. How is that NOT deceptive??

I know and understand this is all new, which is why I am here pointing it out. I know Matt and the crew will get it resolved, Other wise I wouldn't be a license holder.

btw, love the v5 update!

That entire section pulls from http://www.whmcs.com/members/communityaddons.php which has been around for a long time.

Some of the modules in there no longer work for the current version of WHMCS, and a lot have switched from free to commercial or vise versa. Most of them are not affiliated with WHMCS in any way, and the information provided on that page is what was provided to WHMCS by the developers.

I do not see how this is any type of deception by anyone. More of an oversight than anything else. I do not believe you will see this corrected anytime in the near future.

Then it need's updated, bad. I understand all the information listed was probably provided by the developer, I just think you guys should be a bit more strict about listing addon's there with false information. Plain and Simple. As far as it being deceptive.. who cares. I find it deceptive, other's may not. If I received a flyer from Best Buy stating they were giving away FREE tv's, and I show up to grab one.. only to find out it's not free. That's deceptive, I don't care how you look at it.

I can see why you wouldn't it corrected. Sweeten's the deal for the whmcs product. Make customers/clients think they can get a FREE addon's, when indeed.. they can't.

Edited by x1halo1x

hows about going to the developers with your complaints since they are NOT affiliated with whmcs.....

as for your bestbuy statement, lets look at it a little closer....

you get a flyer that vizio is giving away free TV's in the bestbuy parking lot, you get there and they are NOT free, who do you hold responsible Bestbuy? Its their parking lot

hows about going to the developers with your complaints since they are NOT affiliated with whmcs.....

as for your bestbuy statement, lets look at it a little closer....

you get a flyer that vizio is giving away free TV's in the bestbuy parking lot, you get there and they are NOT free, who do you hold responsible Bestbuy? Its their parking lot

Because I don't have the time, nor do I even want too. It's not my project, there for don't really care to waste my time.. to better someone else's product. Like I already said, I understand it's the developers and NOT whmcs. However, it's ON the whmcs website. I was only suggesting they look into it, as it is a bit deceiving. Imagine how pissed off someone would be if they purchased WHMCS solely based on some of these plugin's that are being listed as FREE. We both know thats not very likely, but could happen.

It's apparent they need "stricter" guidelines for the addon developer's. If this was my product, I surely wouldn't let it fly.