.tpl file

Swannie

Well lets see... I use Dreamweaver, Crimson Editor, RF TextED, NotePad.... :)

Editor's are like good girl friends. Once you find one you like it's hard to switch to another. The RF TextED is nice and free. Also fast. I use it a lot for other scripts as well. Crimson Editor is another freebie but old. It's pluses are very fast, handles huge files, syntax color coding.

Dreamweaver is expensive, slow but does a lot of stuff the others don't.

:!: Be careful using programs like Dreamweaver, especially when editing the header.tpl etc.

Dreamweaver likes to "complete" a table/div by adding a closing </div> or </table> tag (depends how you have coded your template files). This messes up your site layout as that closing tag should actually be in the footer.tpl (as an example).

My solution is to simply put what Dreamweaver needs so it is happy, but never actually use it...i.e at the end of the header.tpl I add...

{if $dreamweaver=='glitch'} </table>{/if}

Which of course is always false, so never loads on your actual web pages.

You will know which files Dreamweaver adds these closing tags to by simply opening a .tpl file and you will see that the file has changed, even though you haven't made an changes yourself. :roll:

Cheers,

Paul

Tanks guys.

I have one more question and I'm not sure if this is the right forum. I got an email this morning with subject "Cron <intouchw@za1> 0 9 * * * php -q /home/intouchw/public_html/billing/whmcs/admin/cron.php" and body "/bin/sh: 0: command not found".

Does this mean there is an error with the cron job, or just nothing to process at this time?

Thanks

Swannie

Tanks guys.

I have one more question and I'm not sure if this is the right forum. I got an email this morning with subject "Cron <intouchw@za1> 0 9 * * * php -q /home/intouchw/public_html/billing/whmcs/admin/cron.php" and body "/bin/sh: 0: command not found".

Does this mean there is an error with the cron job, or just nothing to process at this time?

Hi,

Check the path to "php". For example for my server I have to have something like this:

/<root path to php4>/bin/php-cli -q /<path to script>/cron.php

Cheers,

Paul

• 8 months later...

thanks iceman,

i was using dreamweaver and my page alignment was going haywire... and was totally unusable..

i am using portal template

with the homepage content appearing below the footer... it was a mess..

i used notepad and changed header.tpl & footer.tpl files..

and now it works perfectly... thanks i had to search the whole forum for this..

check it out www.LivelySite.com

hey all you clever people...

What is the best program to edit the template files with?

:lol:

I would definately have to say that the best, not only for tpl, but all web pages (html, php, etc.) is notepad... Simple and straight-forward... No program to mess up your custom code.

I would definately have to say that the best, not only for tpl, but all web pages (html, php, etc.) is notepad... Simple and straight-forward... No program to mess up your custom code.

Except Notepad itself, which I've seen first hand introduce odd line break chars that broke PERL/PHP scripts. :)

There are better text editors. For raw coding, I use UltraEdit, Note Tab Pro and a few others. On the server, I prefer Nano.