Plesk provisioning problem

I am running some tests on the system using Plesk servers. Whenever I simulate a returning user who orders another hosting account, WHMCS seems to try to create a new account on the same server using the same client ID, so the order fails every time. How do I get around this? How does a returning user create a new hosting account without colliding with his existing username?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same annoying problem in my production environment. WHMCS is great for new signups, but every time my loyal ("returning") customers use the system there has to be manual interaction on my Plesk servers in order to get the account created.

The current algorithm is:

* create new client account on Plesk server using username details from WHMCS

The actual algorithm should be:

* check if client account already exists on target Plesk system

* if so, create domain using Account details of existing username

* if not, create new client account

kind regards,

Eugene

The way WHMCS works with its account provisioning is fine for panels like cpanel/whm where there is no heirarchial control/structure - every account is entirely separate but Plesk is more defined.

For WHMCS to support Plesk properly it needs a few changes:

# to drop the enforced use of client and domain templates for account creation - its way too restrictive and not necessary (in the same way package information is not necessary for cpanel)

# to (optionally) add subsequent orders to the limits of the same client, rather than forcing the creation of a new client

So at deployment if "add to clients existing account" is ticked, the ordered product parameters are added to the existing (if already there on *that* plesk server) client limits and then the domain added as appropriate.

Its then down to the server admins and their client "templates" as to whether those limits can be altered within plesk by the user or not - we woudl allow clients with 2 * 50Mb plans to reallocate the space 30/70 if they wanted.

• 4 weeks later...
The way WHMCS works with its account provisioning is fine for panels like cpanel/whm where there is no heirarchial control/structure - every account is entirely separate but Plesk is more defined.

# to drop the enforced use of client and domain templates for account creation - its way too restrictive and not necessary (in the same way package information is not necessary for cpanel)

# to (optionally) add subsequent orders to the limits of the same client, rather than forcing the creation of a new client

So at deployment if "add to clients existing account" is ticked, the ordered product parameters are added to the existing (if already there on *that* plesk server) client limits and then the domain added as appropriate.

Its then down to the server admins and their client "templates" as to whether those limits can be altered within plesk by the user or not - we woudl allow clients with 2 * 50Mb plans to reallocate the space 30/70 if they wanted.

I completely agree, this is a must IMO.

I hate to go along with the crowd, but I'm also looking for this to be implemented.

I love Plesk because of the features, the feel, the amount of control per account, etc. What I've found so far is that the WHMCS/Plesk integration isn't as strong as some of the others. This is a tad disappointing as I'm stuck on Plesk right now.

I hope these options are considered, it would greatly improve the experience for me, and probably for all of us.

i guess we can be added to that list since we sell Plesk for Windows and since we migrated to Plesk 8.1 now we need to manually go in to plesk and complete the automation for every order new and existing customers

• WHMCS CEO
i guess we can be added to that list since we sell Plesk for Windows and since we migrated to Plesk 8.1 now we need to manually go in to plesk and complete the automation for every order new and existing customers

Why? There is nothing wrong with the current implementation. It's just these are some additional features being requested.

Matt

• WHMCS CEO

That's impossible. A client can't be setup without any permissions definitions. Having a selection of options available in WHMCS is what would be restrictive. Using a client template means all the Plesk options are available.

Matt

Using a client template means all the Plesk options are available.

And not using one means all the options are available as well ;)

Plesk is very happy for you to use it's interface to create a client and not select a client template - a preset "type of client" is much less likely than preset "type of hosting" plans.

Plesk is similarly happy for you to use it's interface to add a domain to a client and not have to select a domain template, exactly as cpanel does not require you to select a package.

*enforcing* a client template is pointless, both in terms of

- Host admin time setting them up and maintaining them - esecially when its only used by Plesk to create the client account, and has no "relationship" to the client record afterwards.

- Restricting WHMCS from improved Plesk deployment options which would make it much better than its competitors :D

It just seems inconsistent to have very restrictive rules for the more powerful plesk control panel, and complete control over the hosting parameters for the more noddy cpanel.