Customising PDF invoices

I'm just trying to configure my PDF invoices and am following the info at http://wiki.whmcs.com/PDF_Invoice but am a little confused what's the right file to be editing.

I've started to edit ...\templates\portal\invoicepdf.tpl but have just noticed that there is also ...\templates\default\invoicepdf.tpl so not sure which is the one to edit.

There's also this thread that talks about PDF footers but that code doesn't seem to appear in either of those files I've looked at, so I'm extra confused now. Being able to edit the footer would be really useful too.

Also, is it possible to generate a test invoice so I can see what my changes look like, without actually making an order?

Ah right, in which case Portal is the one to edit for me. Thanks John.

How about these couple of bits also:

There's also this thread that talks about PDF footers but that code doesn't seem to appear in either of those files I've looked at, so I'm extra confused now. Being able to edit the footer would be really useful too.

Also, is it possible to generate a test invoice so I can see what my changes look like, without actually making an order?