Xen Enterprise Module version 5.x and above.

WHMCS now has the options to charge for bandwidth overages... so yes it would.

as far as collecting bandwidth per service, it's my understanding that's not something MRTG can do unless it's reading a log file that logs the visits which would mean direct access to your customers VM. Any time that happens lets you open to the possibility of fraud.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHMCS now has the options to charge for bandwidth overages... so yes it would.

as far as collecting bandwidth per service, it's my understanding that's not something MRTG can do unless it's reading a log file that logs the visits which would mean direct access to your customers VM. Any time that happens lets you open to the possibility of fraud.

The question is: What type traffic does your module count? IN out and THRU ?

what ever you want it to.

None of our modules setup MRTG with RRD for you. How ever you want to configure MRTG you can. As long as the module can come read the rrd file to generate usage reports, this module will work and update data usage within WHMCS.

I see a lot of potential in this and I purchased the module. However, I'm a little uneasy about it since I need to get a bunch of packages (e.g. MRTG, Compiler, etc.) manually. There is a lot of room for simple mistakes, which could result in other issues.

It would be really nice if you could make an RPM or even possibly provide us with an "fire and forget" script.

• 2 weeks later...
I see a lot of potential in this and I purchased the module. However, I'm a little uneasy about it since I need to get a bunch of packages (e.g. MRTG, Compiler, etc.) manually. There is a lot of room for simple mistakes, which could result in other issues.

It would be really nice if you could make an RPM or even possibly provide us with an "fire and forget" script.

While we realize this would help out a great bit with some administration work, we feel this is would open us up to a list of issues that we could not foresee. Every system is different. Installing mrtg and a web server are very simple tasks in our sys admin book. Our stance has always been that we are not here to setup and configure your server for you, rather make your work loads smaller by taking some of the simple stuff (vm boot, shutdown, and restart) away from you.

Is there a trial version ? $50 is too much to risk :)

Thanks

There is not.

Because of what this module does, we did not want to include a license check ability. Doing so will only prolong commands being issued to your VM. Also... where would we put the license check? On the xen server? In the whmcs module? Both? If you think about it... either of those options will delay vm commands, cause network usage, cpu cycles, and cause a work load on our systems if everyone who has this module has clients telling there vm to reboot at the same time.

It's better to let your xen server spend time doing the things the VM is trying to do, and limit it's time issuing commands to vm rather then having to worry about a license check.

A license check would be the only way to issue a trial version.

While we realize this would help out a great bit with some administration work, we feel this is would open us up to a list of issues that we could not foresee. Every system is different. Installing mrtg and a web server are very simple tasks in our sys admin book. Our stance has always been that we are not here to setup and configure your server for you, rather make your work loads smaller by taking some of the simple stuff (vm boot, shutdown, and restart) away from you.

I wish I could agree, but, I feel this sound more like a cop out. A XenServer is a hypervisor that's a minimal version of RHEL. If you were to perform a CD install, you're going to end up with the same installation on all of your servers.

Even if I were to keep what you've mentioned in consideration, I'm going to point out a few items, that is key in the success of the deployment, which aren't even mentioned in your document.

I had to install a bunch of RPM packages just to be able to install RRDTOOL or PHP 5.2.12. Perhaps you can update the docs to actually discuss the needed packages. Luckily, I'm seasoned enough to walk through this and install the required packages, but, I can't say the same about everyone else.

That said, a good application development process will always require a good set of documentation.

I wish I could agree, but, I feel this sound more like a cop out. .

We do not let our customers hanging, and I'm not going to start that process here.

Please tell me, what other then providing provision services would make you feel that we are not 'coping out'?

This module does what it says it does... reboot, start, shutdown, and collect bandwidth usage.

This module has not, nor has it even been marketed towards the customers who are looking for a point and click install process. We admit the documentation is week on how to install the packages, but we feel that's not our job to cover. It’s clearly outlines what is needed to be installed on the xen server. If the question is how, then that’s what google is for.

Our job stops at the module... if we were to get into telling you how to modify your dom0 to install smnp and mrtg with rrd tool... that could open us up to having to support it. We do not have the man power to do so.

I do hope that you are happy with the product that was provided to you already, and I also hope that you see a decrease in the amount of your work load because of this module.

There is obviously a language barrier here, and it shows through the lack of grammar in your reply as well as the documentation, which you've provided. You meant to say "weak" not "week". I didn't say it was your job to cover anything other than set your customer's expectations correctly. If the module is highly experimental, then it needs to be disclosed ahead of time. I admit that it is being adverted as beta though, even so, beta doesn't mean I should use a search engine, not just Google, to figure out a product that you've released. This module is specific to WHMCS and XenServer and the online resources will leave much to be desired.

I'm not debating the functionality of the module. I'm pointing out the fact that your documentation is misleading and/or lacks a few more details that are crucial. Look below:

Xen Server Setup and Modifications.

This section covers all necessary changes that are required on your Xen server. It’s highly recommended that you set up your server exactly as this guide describes. This is meant to be a step by step guide in the hopes of a COPY / paste type install.

There is no "hope" of a COPY / paste because there is nothing that you can copy and paste. Most of the doc is information at best. There is no mention of the required packages.

9. Change settings in citrix-deploy-conf.php to match your setup. This is by far the most important file there is. This file contains location of rrdtool and mrtg file locations.

How? Through the web browser? What if the web page is just a blank page?

Simply put, you can't "Google" the required steps for a module that's in Beta, and isn't widely used. Sorry...

PS. I'm happy to see the module in existence. I'll be happier if it sees a little more development time though. Just a thought.

Edited by wsani

There is no "hope" of a COPY / paste because there is nothing that you can copy and paste. Most of the doc is information at best. There is no mention of the required packages.

How? Through the web browser? What if the web page is just a blank page?

You should not be asking me how to edit a file. I feel that's below first year sys admin information. If your web page is blank, then one of two things needs to happen. Issue the command correctly, or enable php debugging to show you where the trouble spot is. Also doing a quick google search for PHP web page blank will point you in the right direction Link HERE. Either way... this is not a support forum and I shall respect that fact by not assisting any further.

I have already asked WHMCS to remove the posting in the module section which they have done.

For those who have shown your support in this module, I thank you but as stated before... our dev team has moved on to the community edition of xen module. Link HERE. That module is out of beta, and has made it to version 2.0.

Also.. I do not need to be spell corrected by anyone. I'm so sorry you felt it necessary too.

• 1 month later...

For those who have shown your support in this module, I thank you but as stated before... our dev team has moved on to the community edition of xen module.

Hi Robbieg, you still plan to support this module though correct? Meaning keeping up with any changes required to keep the module operating?

Hi Robbieg, you still plan to support this module though correct? Meaning keeping up with any changes required to keep the module operating?

we never let any customer out to dry.

if you have issues with your module and your system we will continue to support it to restore the functions the module has now (boot, reboot, shutdown).

Any chance of some screenshots as to how it looks from a client point of view? While I'd likely change the layout and what not myself it would be nice to see exactly what information it can pull into the client area.

Any chance of some screenshots as to how it looks from a client point of view? While I'd likely change the layout and what not myself it would be nice to see exactly what information it can pull into the client area.

The module is no longer for sale and is currently in a support only state.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am interested in this module as well, and if its a case of you not having time or resources why not hand it over to the community for someone to pick up

We need a solution to work with XenServer community version and so far your module appears as though it may be the only one in existence...

would you perhaps be interested in selling the code base if you dont want to turn it into the community?

Id like to see this completely developed and working...

Id like to see this completely developed and working...

So lets pick this up a little....

What features do you want to see in this module?

At the present time is does the following

• Reboot vps
  • Shutdown Vps
  • Boot Vps
  • bandwidth Collection

Hi thanks for the response...

We need deployment on activation (manual on approval) based on a xen template installation

Reboot/Shutdown/Boot controls

We are using a module integrating whmcs andCacti for bandwidth monitoring and billing so dont need this functionality

We need deployment on activation (manual on approval) based on a xen template installation

I hope that you read all 4 pages of this post before you asked for these features.

Yes we have tested the deployment of a VM from xen template... but several things come to mind here.

How would you solve any of the following

• Root password change (for having the same root password for all temples is not an okay thing)
  • Host name. How would you change this? Again we feel having a hostname of template3003 is not an okay thing.
  • Ip address. The whole point of auto provision is to setup the VM and supply access instructions to the client. There is no way to configure the vm you just created with an ip address

Robbie

Yes i have read thru this discussion

what we want to do is essentially populate all the data to create the guest in whmcs and have an activation button which will activate the installation of the template and at the same time email the client the relevant details, logins and ip's etc

obviously IP's can be grabbed from a resource pool and assigned as required

each client has their own password created for their guest when its created

it can be done in vmware and ive evenseen cloud systems deploy on the fly so it shouldnt be any more difficult to achieve this in xenserver

Hello,

We made a module for xen community version (http://www.xen.org) which allows all of this. We even added features such as reimage, change root password and changing the running kernel. With this version of our module we are able to provision VM's within 5 minutes after payment. Lots more features for a lot more of an open ended product.

The commercial version of xen does not allow such features.

So in short... use our module for the community version of xen and get away from the comcerial version of Xen.