Xen Enterprise Module version 5.x and above.

Host our web is ready to release to public our module that allows end user control for Citrix Xen Enterprise. Our testing so far has been limited to the free edition of Citrix Xen 5.0 with a very few testing on Xen Enterprise 5.0

At this moment the module supports the following.

Check power status of vm (running, suspend, shutdown)

Based on power status, boot, shutdown, and restart.

Mrtg bandwidth collection.

We do not plan to offer Provision services for this module.

Because this module is close to release we can not release the source code.

The cost of the product is $50 which also grants you access to the released version of the module.

Sing up link is here

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the response.

we are a little stuck on how to provision a VPS. Sure we can tell Xen to clone an image you have setup within the Xen cluster... but how do you know what ip address it has once its booted? If there was timely way of getting the ip address from the VPS, we could provision the VPS within this module. Yes there is a way you can get the ip address of the VPS once the VM is booted, has an ip address, and Xen tools service is started... but that's way to long for a module to wait for that information to then turn around and give it to the customer.

One option that has been brought to the table is that we could do some advance information hand out. As in the module picks an ip address and sends an email to the admin for provision... but that does not help the admin out very much.

I would like to open this forum post for other options the community may have.

Your correct. This is how it's done in the community edition of Xen and that's how our community edition of the module sets up new VM's. link to that is here

To our knowledge, there is no way of setting an IP address of a vm during creation time with Xen enterprise. There is a way to get the IP address of the interface but that’s after Xen tools is running and the server has an IP address.

I myself do not need it to provision....some things should be done manually...for me the biggest issue was to be able to give the user the ability to securely control their VM (start, stop, reboot, etc) and to be able to track their bandwidth use within whmcs for billing purposes.

I myself do not need it to provision....some things should be done manually...for me the biggest issue was to be able to give the user the ability to securely control their VM (start, stop, reboot, etc) and to be able to track their bandwidth use within whmcs for billing purposes.

this module does that for you.

Your correct. This is how it's done in the community edition of Xen and that's how our community edition of the module sets up new VM's. link to that is here

To our knowledge, there is no way of setting an IP address of a vm during creation time with Xen enterprise. There is a way to get the IP address of the interface but that’s after Xen tools is running and the server has an IP address.

Sure there is, just means you have to do a custom kick start script when you deploy a vm instead of cloning a vm, you need to kick start its own install.

What is the difference between the XEN ENT module and the XEN community edition feature wise?

The big differences is the type of commands it gives to Xen. The community edition uses XM and xen server 5.5 uses XE.

The Xen Enterprise version accounts for this.

Sure there is, just means you have to do a custom kick start script when you deploy a vm instead of cloning a vm, you need to kick start its own install.

How would that work with Windows?

the scope of this module is to make use of the XE command and it's full potential. At this time we find no documentation supporting IP address assignment.

How would that work with Windows?

the scope of this module is to make use of the XE command and it's full potential. At this time we find no documentation supporting IP address assignment.

I am not sure, I am not that well versed with windows so I cannot answer you. Most windows vm deployments are done via dhcp anyway.

I am not sure, I am not that well versed with windows so I cannot answer you. Most windows vm deployments are done via dhcp anyway.

This is an option and once the VM gets the Ip address we can pull it using the XE command.

The problem is too many things can go wrong with this type of setup.

The main problem we have seen is if the DHCP server is down, the VM will never get an ip address. Thus the module would wait forever on an ip address filed to be filled on a VM that will never get an IP address.

Since the whole point of a provision module is to send the customer access instructions, this would not work out very well.

The second most common issue we saw was the DHCP server being out of available ip address.

Our community version pulls the IP address out of an SQL table. If there are none available, it fails before attempting to create the VM and the administration staff is instantly notified about it.

Hello,

We are planning to use it with Xen Server 5.5, is it fully compatible for mentioned functions :-

Check power status of vm (running, suspend, shutdown)

Based on power status, boot, shutdown, and restart.

Mrtg bandwidth collection.

Also would it run perfectly with multiple Xen Servers??

Thank You.

My answers are in bold.

Hello,

We are planning to use it with Xen Server 5.5, is it fully compatible for mentioned functions :-

Check power status of vm (running, suspend, shutdown) Yes

Based on power status, boot, shutdown, and restart.Yes

Mrtg bandwidth collection.Yes

Also would it run perfectly with multiple Xen Servers??Yes

Thank You.

Sounds like you could use a sales presentation on this. Which we would be happy to provide to you. email sales[@]hostourweb.com to setup up a date and time. At this time, we are able to provide English speaking only.

Hi there,

I would be interested in the Enterprise version (not community), does it or can it support full HA?

Just popped to your site and it states it is BETA, I see above the original post was 16/11 I assume it is still in beta? What support and upgrade options are there, is there a renewal fee each year etc?

Although mentioned earlier in the thread, is provisioning is still a taboo, if so, I will get one of my bods who looks after our boxes who is an old hat linux console man (ie he doesn't like or use xencentre).

Thanks,

Chris

Hello,

Since this module does not provision HA does not come into the picture here.

I say that for the following reasons.

Once your Xen server becomes a member of a pool, it's our understanding you can issue commands to the VM from either the pool master or the machine running the vm.

You would setup and install the client side of this module on the pool master and tell WHMCS to talk directly to the pool master. If the pool master fails, you would simply setup the client on the next pool master, and change the ip address within WHMCS to the new ip address.

As far as bandwidth collection goes... it's not tested within a pool environment. We use a combination of SNMP and MRTG with RRD. SNMP is installed on the Xen server and to my understanding, that information is not shared within the pool.

The beta testers have so far tested issuing commands within a pool, but already had each Xen-server setup as separate servers within WHMCS and therefore had SNMP and MRTG with RRD installed. When bandwidth collection ran, it found each and every Xen-server and knew which VM ran on which Xen-Server to collect data from.

To answer your deployment question... I doubt there is any way to specify an ip address during deployment time with the current supported version of Xen-server. With xen community... we make use of Xen-tools which allows us to give all necessary networking options during provision.

Since Xen-server offers no friendly way of giving console access and power control to your customers (unless you use Xen-server-web), this modules at the very least gives them power control.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...