the perverted posts are getting out of hand here

generic

the perverted posts have gotten out of hand....

its getting very cumbersome to have to click through all the new threads to see what is new and what is spam.

Is there anything you can do like require registration to all but one or 2 general forums...

edit -- wow i cant even post the word p-o-r-n-, but the spammers can post all those links...

Unfortunately PHPBB has some of the worst moderation tools on the planet, and it's hard to keep up with these guys (I've cleaned up three of these today alone here). I've been blocking usernames (they come right back as another user) and IPs, (they just grab another proxy) and so on. I've tried censoring some of the domains and words, but again, PHPBB doesn't censor them in the URL, so the link stays live and the spammer gets his linkback.

It's like shovelling against the tide here; lots of effort, mostly wasted.

This most recent spate of .info pr0n domains I believe to be the work of one person/network/bot script, as the technique is the same, including posting within several other threads in addition to the new topics started.

The fix?

VB, or hire ten mods to do the work it would save. ;)

Ryan, why would you click those links? :roll:

Isn't needed on boards that use other scripts but PhpBB and SMF are weak in this regard (I've moderated on all 4 at one time or another). I haven't used IPB in some time so they might have prevention tools, but VB has plenty of tools to stop this without resorting to constant mod intervention, and is the whole point to use it for this, in my opinion.

Your forum is a reflection of your business, and seeing these type of posts here can be a turn off (ironically) for visitors who might be looking into your product. In spite of the mod's efforts, it is not being prevented, only being cleaned up after, like a game of "whack-a-mole".

PHPbb, is very easy to control, and to get these kind of spam bots out of here, you just have to put some effort into it. One of the most simple tricks would be to add a VIP code the the subscription form, and you wont get any of these spam-bots anymore, using that system for a couple of months now on a busy form, and no more spam bots.

It really doesn't matter which form you use, as soon it gets popular, a spammer might try to get trough the protection, phpBB is a popular board, and there are also a lot of popular counter measures you can take.

As said.. my favourite a VIP code, which asks for a code from the end-user which they can find in a designated area on the forum itself. As this differs from board to board a general bot will not be able to spam your system anymore. Sounds easy ? That's because It is..

I agree that just switching the board is not good enough. Does anyone know how a bot is registering on the forum when their is a captcha? Also, is there a way to limit urls being posted until the user has so many posts? I honestly hate the forum searching in VB in comparison to phpbb. I would way rather see phpbb modified to handle the spammers versus switching to another board. But thats just my opinion.

And then you have something from VB like:

• !NoSPam from VB, where you are asked a registration question..any question...and provide the answer to be able to register. No bots. Replaces CAPTCHA, which is defeatable.
  • In addition, another mod can be used that watches for any member under a certain number of posts that tries to include a URL, and sticks all his posts into the moderation queue. No Spam.
  • Then there's groups and promotions, where you don't allow things like PMs until the member has more than xx number of posts. No more PM spam from new members.
  • Word censors that work properly, removing the word even in URLs.
  • Removing posts from a particular problem member by clicking checkboxes next to all of them and removing. No more "visit post, click delete, confirm, go back to list, next spam...
  • Many more than I can list here

The plus side is huge, the down side is just initial cost, configuration, import and then skinning. None all that terrible, IMHO.

To be fair about it, I scouted a bit on the PHPBB site, and they have some equivalent mods, though some are kind of old and may not be compatible any longer.

(v 2.07) PM threshold: [url]http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=167150[/url]
(2.0.20) Mod Troll [url]http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=389005[/url]
Anti-Spam ACP [url]http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=465600[/url]
Deny posting certain text or links until xx posts [url]http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=471992[/url]

VBulletin has my vote if we go..I would be willing to donate a license to WHMCS to see that the forum is taken care of. I am sure that we could all donate a $ here or there to assist

That would make sense if this was an open source project, but this is a commercial company and site and matt makes a decent amount off whmcs, so i think he can pay for it. Sorry Matt. =P

• WHMCS CEO
To be fair about it, I scouted a bit on the PHPBB site, and they have some equivalent mods, though some are kind of old and may not be compatible any longer.

Mods have now been installed to prevent users with less than 15 posts being able to post links or send private messages. Hopefully this will reduce the number of spam posts being submitted on the forums.

Mods have now been installed to prevent users with less than 15 posts being able to post links or send private messages.

Seems to be a good thing and hope it works. Of course if they register and just post simple post like 'hello', 'blah blah', and they get to 15 quick. However, there is truely no way to prevent post like this, and this MOD is a great step towards cutting it down on the forum

Trust me, that won't stop them. So far i found only one module to stop everything, but its a bit user unfriendly, however a community website with mostly non-tech-savvy users is running very well with it. If you are interested Matt i got some examples for you.