Client area DNS editor development

I think this is the right place but I'm not sure....it's not a WHMCS feature request as such, but a request for a module development.

We are looking to develop a client-side DNS editor to tie in with our cPanel DNS cluster.

I believe cPanel have recently added Add/Edit DNS API commands so think this should be reasonably straightforward, but I just don't have the time.

I'm looking for an interface similar to the WHM zone editor as that's about the best I've seen - SOA, A, CNAME, NS, TXT records are the minimum requirements. The client should see a list of their domains (a simple list of their domains from tbldomains and tblhosting is fine) and be able to view/edit each.

The script should be able to communicate with a cPanel DNS cluster via the cPanel API and the complete source code must be handed over - no encrypted scripts.

If you are capable of producing this please PM me with your thoughts/pricing - look forward to hearing from you :)

I've coded a dns editor using the new API commands, the interface isn't pretty, it isn't integrated into WHMCS yet, but it works.

DNS Cluster was another issue, I ended up using CURL to run the WHM zone sync command.

I'll get around to coding this into WHMCS soon.

Sorry about the delayed reply, I didn't get the notification e-mail - this is something I would be happy to release into the community at a small cost :)

I've coded a dns editor using the new API commands, the interface isn't pretty, it isn't integrated into WHMCS yet, but it works.

DNS Cluster was another issue, I ended up using CURL to run the WHM zone sync command.

I'll get around to coding this into WHMCS soon.

It was that type of problem I was wary of, I would've hoped the API commands automatically update the cluster as with all other DNS operations :(

The ability to add a zone would be great too. Would you be looking at releasing the full source code for a price? Happy to work with you on it too whenver I have time.

Rather than make WHMCS like cPanel/WHM my aim is to produce a decent client DNS editor similar to that provided by the larger companies such as 123, and not need to rely on any third party. So we can provide DNS management to cPanel clients and also sell DNS management services - e.g. "add up to 10 zones for £x/month".

Also we see a lot of requests to setup a domain for Google Apps for example, so I could just jump into the code and add in a button to do that for the client. Saving us a lot of time too!

I'm interested in this Jason but a couple of things

1 - Make this an option on domain registration only

2 - Disable DNS editor for hosting accounts (prevents people making mistakes) or atleast make a switch to disable if they have a current hosting plan

3 - Check what nameservers domain is using, if using other than assigned DNS clustered DNS indicate a message saying "prior to changing these values you need to edit your nameservers to point to ns1.XXXXX.com and NS2.XXXX.com or "click here to make the change"

3 - Check what nameservers domain is using, if using other than assigned DNS clustered DNS indicate a message saying "prior to changing these values you need to edit your nameservers to point to ns1.XXXXX.com and NS2.XXXX.com or "click here to make the change"

I've had a brief think about this with Jason and it's a little complex due to varying nameserver IPs, branded nameservers etc, and the slowness of doing all the checks.

I think the best method is to display a message informing the client that they will need to be using our DNS servers for their changes to have any effect. Any client who's not using our ns would (should...) understand that :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are getting one developed for client area of whmcs. We dont want to send the customers into cpanel for dns editing.

We are also interested in getting dns editing to whmcs client area. Maybe we could contribute to the development or buy the ready source from you?

• 2 weeks later...

This is in cPanel 11.25.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/pub/AllDocumentation/ReleaseNotes/1125releasenotes.pdf

3. Added Features

3.1. cPanel DNS Editors

In cPanel 11.25, the X3 interface includes both a Simple DNS Editor and an Advanced DNS Editor

feature. The Simple editor is enabled by the default. The Advanced editor is disabled by default. Access

to either editor is handled via the Feature Manager in WHM.

3.1.1. Simple DNS Editor

The cPanel Simple DNS Editor permits users to add and remove A and CNAME resource records for

existing zones. No editing of records is permitted via this interface. To edit a record, the existing one must

first be deleted. Duplicate A records are permitted.

A Record: The user is permitted to supply the name of the record and an IP address. The TTL specified

in the WHM Basic cPanel/WHM Setup interface is used.

CNAME Record: the user is permitted to supply the name and CNAME of the record. The TTL specified

in the WHM Basic cPanel/WHM Setup interface is used.

3.1.2. Advanced DNS Editor

The Advanced DNS Editor lets users add, edit and delete A, CNAME and TXT resource records. The

user may specify the TTL when creating or modifying the record.

cPanel 11.25.0 Release Notes

Both editors automatically append the name of the domain being modified to new records. To provide a

fully-qualified name, terminate

Edited by jasonhk