HyperVM / LXlabs no more - What is your plan?

I just wanted to get some insight from you guys. I was thinking of deploying some HyperVM nodes and start offering VPS. However, the owner killed himself and now the project is defuct or so it seems.

For those in a production environment with HyperVM / Lxlabs what are your plans going further? The licensing server may come down and then you won't be able to move anything.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that the Lxlabs support guy, who lived with the owner, even recommends NOT using HyperVM or Kloxo because of the vulnerabilities. (Lots of details over at WHT.)

I'm looking at VDSmanager Linux from http://www.ispsystem.com. I tested it a while back and liked it, although I found the company a bit odd to deal with in a few ways (for example the price is a bit high, but they told me I could make the price per VPS low by putting a HUGE number of VPSs on a server).

I'm also looking at XenServer because I'm scared to go with another small-company virtualization manager.

Problem is that WHMCS doesn't have modules for these (or any other similar products that I know of). That is a big drawback. Another billing app has support for VDSmanager. I'm surprised that WHMCS only embraced HyperVM and no other virtualization platforms.

Hello guys,

I too feel the loss if this person. Man,. reading his blog and other information, seems like he had a rough life.

We were getting ready to dive into hyperVM and would also like to know what everyone else might start using.

Edited by cyberneticos

Also bear in mind that HyperVM is only a manager for VPSs. Your VPSs can run without it.

While that's true, it also provides automation from within WHMCS.

Frankly if you just need VPS support then the bare-bones XEN / OpenVZ tools will work as well, but that sets the larger companies with many servers & VPS's back a lot!

Imagine setting up 10 VP's manually, assining resource (space, RAM, CPU, bandwidth, IP's, OS, etc)?

HyperVM is (was?) a very useful script, and hopefully somewhere, someone wil have something similar which has an API to automate most of the common VPS management capabilities.

Hello guys,

I too feel the loss if this person. Man,. reading his blog and other information, seems like he had a rough life.

We were getting ready to dive into hyperVM and would also like to know what everyone else might start using.

I resell VPS and all my suppliers are moving to Virtuozzo. I have sent a support ticket to Matt and the team to see if they can sort out another module for WHMCS

Yep,

That's why we're (and others I suppose) looking for this type of solution. We currently run over 200 xen vms. And it's a pain to create them and set them up. Plus this method does not give our customers the feature hypervm and similar give.

We're thinking of switching to vmware, unfortunately. Any suggestions ?

Pure Marketing... Just because everyone knows it.

I think nobody read about libvirt... That's is the reason.

Why does everyone recomment Virtuzzo the whole time???? Is DOES NOT support XEN / Full Virtualization, and it NOT a replacement for HyperVM

Libvirt is a back end framework / library only. It has absolutely no front end interface, user level controls, etc.

There is no solution out there that will replace HyperVM and manage both OpenVZ and Xen VPS'es. I've done quite a bit of checking, and it simply doesn't exist. The best plan at this point is for people with an OpenVZ infrastructure to go one way, and people with a Xen infrastructure to go another. Coding more than one module to replace the HyperVM module is going to pretty much be a necessity.

I resell VPS and all my suppliers are moving to Virtuozzo

I think you're misunderstanding what a VPS is and what HyperVM was ... which is somewhat worrying if you're selling them to end-users ...

People might be (poor sods) moving to virtuozzo from *openvz* i.e moving into the paid-software world, in order to get a gui tool ....

"People might be (poor sods) moving to virtuozzo from *openvz* i.e moving into the paid-software world, in order to get a gui tool ...."

You might want to check out virtuozzo again.. cause it isn't just a "gui tool".

Hypervm - is a gui tool.

Adam

yet, due to popular demand, Virtuzzo (which is really really crap) will wind hands-down, and the XEN providers will be left with nothing.

the "xen providers" have had the xencenter and the ability to script wrappers around all the functions for several years, exactly like vituoslowzo providers for admin tasks - exposing those features to the client i.e. replacing what hypervm provided you - is only a few php functiosn away ....

the "xen providers" have had the xencenter and the ability to script wrappers around all the functions for several years, exactly like vituoslowzo providers for admin tasks - exposing those features to the client i.e. replacing what hypervm provided you - is only a few php functiosn away ....

Rob, I hear you. BUT, why replace a XEN control panel with a Virtuzzo one? Where is the logic behind that? I honestly don't care about the 'sales pitch' behind Virtuzzo - although it's a great looking control panel, it doesn't provide full virtualization. And while VPS over-seller love it, it's a nightmare to maintain those VPS's, and still keep good faith with the clients.

One can't, absolutely can't replace XEN with VZ.

Why not rather get a replacement that offers both XEN & VZ, like libvirt, Enomaly, proxmox, http://www.karesansui-project.info/, etc. But, no one has explored the rest, they all hammer on Virtuzzo

WHMCS has now a fine working module for virtualmin, which I am using as my CP.

Virtualmin has Cloudmin. Some Hypervm users are moving to this platform.

You may want to check out this thread in their forum and ask about the progress:

http://virtualmin.com/node/9971

Cloudmin provides a unified UI for building cloud services based on Linux Xen, Solaris Zones, Linux vservers, and Amazon AWS. Cloudmin also supports physical servers, allowing you to gradually migrate your websites into the cloud. Cloudmin, like Webmin and Virtualmin, is designed with flexibility in mind.

WHMCS has now a fine working module for virtualmin, which I am using as my CP.

Virtualmin has Cloudmin. Some Hypervm users are moving to this platform.

You may want to check out this thread in their forum and ask about the progress:

http://virtualmin.com/node/9971

Thanx for this suggestion, but I see it's only an end user control panel. So, it's a greate replacement for Kloxo, but not quite for HyperVM.

Have you used it yet?

Does it work well?

I haven't used Cloudmin as I don't have VPS's.

From what I know it is more than a end-user control panel.

It is for system administrators to create/manage VPS's and for end-users as well to manage their VPS.

Since I only use virtualmin/webmin to manage my servers and provisioning them through WHMCS, I advice to contact the developers for correct and complete information.

It seemed to me it is a valid replacement and Webmin's reputation goes a long way.

Atm Cloudmin has a temporarily 50% introduction discount.