What isn't imported from Modernbill?

I am attempting to identify everything that will not be imported via the Modernbill import script. I simply have too many clients to be worrying about doing things manually, so I need to make sure I can automate everything. Here's the items I've found so far.

1. Credit Cards. I think everyone knows about this one.

2. Add-ons. I'm going to have to investigate how to solve this one. I don't have a whole lot of clients using add-ons so I might be able to get away with dealing with this one manually.

3. Credits. Man, this is a big one for the import script to miss out on. I can run SQL scripts to determine the credit amount in Modernbill and can then interface with WHMCS via the API and update this, so this should be under control.

Those are what I've come across so far. I'm going to be testing more to see if I have missed anything. If you know of something I've missed, please post here. It would be nice to have a complete listing of the things that the import script doesn't handle.

I also plan (with the permission of management) to release the scripts that I come up with that handles these missing items.

One last thing I'd like input on. Any good ideas on how to match up a client from Modernbill to WHMCS? The import to WHMCS assigns new client ids, so I can't use that. My next thought was to use the email address, but unfortunately I tweaked Modernbill to allow clients to use the same email address on multiple accounts. I only have a handful of users that did this though, so I might be able to just temporarily change the email address on accounts so things match up. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

On a trial import my domain names didn't come across as domains, they appeared as regular packages. I'd been using MB for years and the package in MB was called 'Domain Registrations and Renewals'. The import script looks for 'Domain Registrations' and after renaming it in MB it worked perfectly.

Hello,

Im currently looking to migrate hundreds of clients from mb4 to whmcs.

Is there any documentation regards to initial setup before doing an import?

For example, do we need to setup the products with matching names so that when clients are imported they are tied to correct products?

What all should be setup before starting the import?

Also what about existing outstanding invoices?

Is there a way to work around getting credit cards imported too? I saw a thread somewhere that it is possible.

Thanks!

-John

• WHMCS CEO

You don't need to setup products before running the import as the import script will create the products that you have in MB.

So you should just install WHMCS, setup the general & automation settings, and then run the import. Then you will configure your products/services in WHMCS afterwards. Outstanding invoices will be imported as due also.

There's no problems getting credit cards imported, but that's not something you can do yourself with the import script as it's not a straightforward DB to DB copy. We offer it as a service for $50 which you can arrange via ticket.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I've run into an issue with the import/setup but suspect it may be in how I have configured WHMCS.

All my products in MB were ex tax listed and all clients set to have tax applied. In WHMCS all new packages are being created and tax being applied, however, any packages imported from MB are not getting tax applied.

Can anyone suggest where I could be looking to make sure that it's set correctly? Apart from this I'm all set (and well truly ready) to do the swap over and get WHMCS to import the card details so that I'm running live with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been prepping our migration from MB and so far everything looks like it comes over alright. I do notice that one thing which does not come over are the "Comments" that are added to a client's account. I'm referring specifically to MBv4.4.x. Comments added in the middle of the page are added as "Client Notes" and are added to the event_log table. If I'm mistaken and someone could point me to where they are imported to within WHMCS, I'd appreciate it.

Though, it wouldn't surprise me if these client notes intentionally didn't import over, MB dumps tons of package log details to this table in addition to client notes. Not the best way to handle "Comments" IMO and our event_log table has nearly 900,000 entries in it.

I would like to know HOW credit cards are imported from Modernbill (v5.6.x) I don't want to have to pay someone to do it for me, this is not something anyone else should ever have access to, and I have contracts for some very important clients, that I would be VIOLATING if they were able to access this data.

if someone could point out what needs to be done etc.. I would be very grateful.

• 2 months later...

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your support!

Does the import script for MB4 still have difficulty with client accounts which have apostrophes in their names?

You don't need to setup products before running the import as the import script will create the products that you have in MB.

So you should just install WHMCS, setup the general & automation settings, and then run the import. Then you will configure your products/services in WHMCS afterwards. Outstanding invoices will be imported as due also.

There's no problems getting credit cards imported, but that's not something you can do yourself with the import script as it's not a straightforward DB to DB copy. We offer it as a service for $50 which you can arrange via ticket.

Matt