CMS system for website?

travor

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to run a CMS type site with something like Joomla or if i want to go with an HTML/CSS type site. Can any of you give me any advice on this? I like the fact that it's so easy to update/add new content to a CMS as opposed to editing files and FTP'ing them.

Any suggestions?

if you do, make sure you separate whmcs from your cms by putting whmcs in a different server/vps.

joomla is hard to maintain if you install a few addons, and if you don't maintain it you will get problems sooner or later.

i prefer drupal myself. it's a bit steeper learning curve than joomla, but when you know it, nothing is impossible. d6 has built in support for letting you know when modules are updated, so you are less likely to have a insecure website.

joomla is like playmobil, drupal is like lego... if that says anything to you =)

Travor all Drupal users are the same so let me tell you from someone who has used both

Joomla is far better - Better support, better functionalty, better extensions and better templates.

Drupal is second rate and just doesnt cut it.

Check out joomla.org

Regards Mark

actually, i started out with joomla, and i still use it now and then and consider it a good cms. if you want it to look good and have lots of bells and whistles whithout putting any major work into it, by all means, go joomla.

however, drupal is more secure, have better seo support and is more customizable. only real downside is that it is harder to learn. go drupal if you are picky about how information is presented and handled and are willing to put some time and effort into it.

even if YOU don't like drupal, second rate is hardly the right choice of words.

actually, don't listen to me. go read this honest and pretty much unbiased article about drupal and joomla.

since the article was written, drupal 6 has been released.

http://www.alledia.com/blog/general-cms-issues/joomla-and-drupal-%11-which-one-is-right-for-you?/

I wouldn't necessarily say the opinion is unbiased due to the simple fact that their entire website is running on Joomla and they offer a lot of Joomla related products and services. Although, it does provide a very good comparison.

Either way, I'd recommend Joomla over pretty much any CMS.

Another plug for Joomla...we love it. Very, very powerful, huge community (which means it is always growing and getting even better), support is excellent.

As far as security - the United Nations uses Joomla. Hopefully they have done their due diligence in choosing Joomla, purely because they represent a secure entitiy (not sure how they run their internal network).

You wont likely get an unbiased opinion from users here. :)

those that use joomla will swear by it, as will Drupalers, and other CMS users for that matter.

As per TommyK #2 post, we also use both, and I have to say, each is a different vehicle, for different purposes.

Drupal, IMHO, is far better for community user sites, but is harder to template, where as a joomla site often has a better/easier to achieve "look", and is often more relevant for smaller commercial sites, but even these lines are often grey.

Both have great functionality (often with add-ons), and both work well for adding content on the fly

What I can say is,

1st when you ask these questions, give more information about what you are looking to achieve, and 2nd, there's nothing experience, so try both.

then find the best match for your outcome, rather than trying to make the one you choose do what you want.

if you do, make sure you separate whmcs from your cms by putting whmcs in a different server/vps.....

Based on what - security, resources...?

I have a client who uses WHMCS as a shopping cart (non-web hosting site) and she is considering Joomla in place of her current HTML site.

She is on a decent size VPS with one other client, who happens to be using Joomla. I've never had any issues with either.

Can you elaborate?

MyLama

Updating more easily? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Joomla uses a WYCIUWYG interface for updating content and, guess what, so does Dreamweaver. All that is needed is a quick FTP sync/upload and bingo. If you use templates, updating sitewide is a breeze. I personally think that HTML (XHTML) and CSS is way superior to any CMS, usually considerably faster loading and much easier to secure. On top of that, you can achieve 100% layout perfection or 100% layout nightmare depending on your design skills. Either way, you can proudly say it's all yours. ;)

Edited by redrat

Based on what - security, resources...?

I have a client who uses WHMCS as a shopping cart (non-web hosting site) and she is considering Joomla in place of her current HTML site.

She is on a decent size VPS with one other client, who happens to be using Joomla. I've never had any issues with either.

Can you elaborate?

MyLama

Based on security alone.

The more sites you put in the same server as whmcs, the bigger risk of getting hacked. In my opinion, whmcs should reside on it's own server/vps.

If you have a outdated joomla site, there is a higher probability of being hacked. Even joomlas own website have been hacked a couple of times.

Based on security alone.

The more sites you put in the same server as whmcs, the bigger risk of getting hacked. In my opinion, whmcs should reside on it's own server/vps.

If you have a outdated joomla site, there is a higher probability of being hacked. Even joomlas own website have been hacked a couple of times.

That certainly would up the security.

For my hosting I use a dedicated server that just houses my site and WHMCS.

On a practical level, unless you are doing a brisk business, even a smallish dedicated VPS would bring the monthly bill for just using WHMCS to somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-50 GBP (70-100 US) per month.

Add to that the VPS or dedicated for hosting the site itself.

For a higher volume business I can see it.

For most else, I would think just employing overall good security practices (both for WHMCS as well as things like not allowing outdated Joomla apps) would suffice even if there are one or two additional sites on the server.

Regards

Edited by MyLama

I started off with different CMS's like Joomla, Mambo, e107 etc.. but I ended up scrapping the CMS all together and just use custom pages in WHMCS.

I found that the main thing I was doing in the CMS was creating pages to display custom content and then trying to match it in with the functions of WHMCS.

A few points I considered was

1. A lot of extra work keeping things updated in both systems.

2. An average basic CMS takes up around 25MB of disk space + WHMCS

3. Creating custom pages can be done easily without the CMS

4. Smarty Templates are easy to write.

5. Most WYSIWYG editors and extra un-needed code

It really is a lot easier without a CMS (for me anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

so i have a few questions:

first of all is there a mod that will bring the menus from drupal into the whmcs site?

Second of all to steve, the person who is just using whmcs? Can you make the homepage say something, like a little about your company or not?

Third how hard is it to move from /whmcs to just /?

I have used joomla and drupal and personally for a cms rather drupal. It is more accessible from a blind person's perspective. The site joomla produces works well with screen readers, however the admin interface is a, "Pardon" bitch to operate.

So alas i am with drupal, oh and another question? Can you have like a news section in whmcs?

thanks again

mike

first of all is there a mod that will bring the menus from drupal into the whmcs site?
Not that I'm aware of.
Second of all to steve, the person who is just using whmcs? Can you make the homepage say something, like a little about your company or not?
Yes you can do that quite easily. Take a look at my site. It's also quite easy to create custom pages to display almost anything you want to.
Third how hard is it to move from /whmcs to just /?
Move all the files to your public_html (/), log into your admin panel and change the paths in Configuration => General Settings
Can you have like a news section in whmcs?
Yes... its called Announcements (You can change the name from "Announcements" to what you like in the language file)

actually, don't listen to me. go read this honest and pretty much unbiased article about drupal and joomla.

since the article was written, drupal 6 has been released.

http://www.alledia.com/blog/general-cms-issues/joomla-and-drupal-%11-which-one-is-right-for-you?/

You should remember that all these comparisons websites are subjective to the preferences of the person writing it.

For example, on the comparison chart provided in the above link, it says that Joomla is easier to learn that Drupal. That probably depends on what you already know. For example, Drupal was easier to learn for me, and Joomla seems confusing since many things are not obvious to me, or are not where I expect them to be. But that is just me. I am sure that someone who is used to Joomla would probably be confused about where things are in Drupal. Or both would be confusing to someone who has never used a CMS before, and doesn't know the concepts behind it.

Also, some people like having the Administration area separate from the main website (in fact the comparison list referenced above touts that as a benefit). I personally like how Drupal has integrated the administration of the site into the site itself (i.e. pressing edit on a page is so much easier than logging into a separate administration panel to change the page you are looking at). It's a matter of preference.

So check out your options and do a little test driving for yourself to find the best CMS for you.

Edited by WisTex

Hello de Best and Great CMS

Multilanguage

Smarty Templates

The best of all SEO

You can configure modrewrite like this /category/ , category.html, or category.php for each page,

Menu manager

Content Manager

TynyMce Editor

Include PHP on pages and more

I love it

I make my site http://portal.altivium.com/

This is the CMS:-P

http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/

Updating more easily? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Joomla uses a WYCIUWYG interface for updating content and, guess what, so does Dreamweaver. All that is needed is a quick FTP sync/upload and bingo. If you use templates, updating sitewide is a breeze. I personally think that HTML (XHTML) and CSS is way superior to any CMS, usually considerably faster loading and much easier to secure. On top of that, you can achieve 100% layout perfection or 100% layout nightmare depending on your design skills. Either way, you can proudly say it's all yours. ;)

Sigh. Sounds like something an army sgt would say to his troops. I think you're missing the point about a CMS though.