Is it Easy?

Dominic Quick

Theres no reason that it would change anything.

However, mrprez is dead on. eBay is one of the most well known for beating up the little guy on trademark stuff.

its called protecting your company. Ebay is just trying to protect its rep and of course make sure no one is making money off them without giving them a slice of the buy. Pretty reasonable to me.

Theres no reason that it would change anything.

However, mrprez is dead on. eBay is one of the most well known for beating up the little guy on trademark stuff.

its called protecting your company. Ebay is just trying to protect its rep and of course make sure no one is making money off them without giving them a slice of the buy. Pretty reasonable to me.

I dissagree... I had registered the name listingsonebay.com and I got a threatening letter from them stating that if I renewed the name, they would sue...

If eBay wanted the name, they should have registered it... If I am not allowed to register it, I shouldn't be allowed to purchase it...

If I was trying to represent myself as part of eBay, then I can understand the infringement.

its a trademark and its not the job of a registrar to enforce the law. You were trying to make money off the popularity of ebay, correct? If I am wrong, point it out, but I highly doubt it. Im guessing that you were just going to be doing some crazy SEO stuff to get your site listed, even though it would just be links to their auctions. There are already TONS of sites that do that and its basically spam in my book. I stinkin hate it. Either way, if you offered some type of compensation to ebay for using their content/trademarked name, I bet they would have allowed you to continue business as long as it didnt hurt them.

I see your point MACscr.

Altough ebay are great people i have to see your point from my companies point of view.

I only advertise on Google & Ask. SEO Stuff isnt really my thing. Spamming people is against the law in the UK. Ive already been warned about spamming from a rival company.

If you can prove that its spam please be my guest and prove it. You wont find any spam on my servers let alone my company doing it.

For starters i dont use eBay and i also have a rival auction site. eBay have tried to close it down on several occasions but to no success. When the stores hype went on my site acquired over 200 new users. Thats where the problems started. By in a court of law the judge ruled that i didnt steal the customers from eBay. They moved on their own accord.

Im not making money on the popularity of eBay. If i did i would owe them load of cash.

My site has been up for 6 months. I think by now that they would have caught on and closed it down. This hasnt happend as we have a written agreement.

I.E i must specifically state that this site has no affiliation with eBay.

I have raised this on many occasions.

Dom

Back on topic.

I think your site is really nice, but like MACscr said the images are the only tings that will not look good. I would contact Matt and see if he will provide you with the original files so you can change the bgcolor of the images.

I just added my css stuff to the header and footer files.

its a trademark and its not the job of a registrar to enforce the law. You were trying to make money off the popularity of ebay, correct? If I am wrong, point it out, but I highly doubt it. Im guessing that you were just going to be doing some crazy SEO stuff to get your site listed, even though it would just be links to their auctions. There are already TONS of sites that do that and its basically spam in my book. I stinkin hate it. Either way, if you offered some type of compensation to ebay for using their content/trademarked name, I bet they would have allowed you to continue business as long as it didnt hurt them.

First of all you are not correct about what my site was going to be about... I was going to have a site where people could create an account and use an easy auction template creator to create their auction listings and store their images on my server. They would just choose from some predefined templates, or add their own and fill in the blanks then submit.... The next page would show what their auction would look like and then they could copy and paste the html when they listed their item on eBay...

I had no intention on doing any SEO stuff to get listed...

My sites name was "ListingsOnEbay.com"

But the same name could have read,"ListingsOnebay.com" with Onebay being my company name...

So because of the different choices in the name, eBay had no right to contact me with their threatening letter... And when I replied to try to explain the name to them, all I got in return was a copy of the first harrassing email.

Anyway, I didn't have the time to develope the site so I got rid of the name...