First 90 days free & Buy .com, get .co.uk free?

Richie

Hi All

Were looking to try out giving new customers the first 90 days free, no payment required but cant for the life of me see a way to set this in the "promotions" anywhere.

Can this be done, and of so, how?

Also, we'de like to offer short time periods of "Buy a .com and get a .co.uk free" for the first 2 yrs.

Are we nuts and just missing the obvious or can this be done with WHMCS?

Thanks

90 days free (3 months approx) - on a monthly package, set up package as normal (lets say $10 a month).

in config > promotions set up a promotion for $30 off.

in the description for the product place a line informing anyone purchasing this plam add the code in the promotion area at checkout to get 3 months free.

90 days free - setup a package on quarterly billing and give them a voucher for 100% off

buy-one-get-one-free on the domains - yes with a bit of creative javascript reading the cart ...

Thanks othello, seems at least you have read what we wrote.

I gather from your other reply then that WHMCS isn't capable of "Buy a .com and get the .co.uk free"

We don't do javascript so have no idea how/what/where it all goes to do that.

Easyhost, "should have gone to specsavers" but thanks anyway for the effort.

• 4 months later...

This thread is exactly what I was looking for. My company is looking to offer 90day free trial but I've yet to discover a functional way.

90 days free - setup a package on quarterly billing and give them a voucher for 100% off

I already have my sets of plans created, and I do not wish to create duplicates to offer a 90 day promotional period.

The only way I can think would be to create 2 seperate promo codes. One for monthly, one for yearly. Do 25% off on the yearly, do monthly free and recurring. BUTTT how do I stop them from recurring beyond the first 90 days?

I do not wish to offer a quarterly plan, can anyone else think of a way to do this?

• 3 weeks later...

As WN-Ali mentioned, please be careful of the "free 30 days" or 90 days or whatever as the upfront non payment. This is a wide open door for spammers with no money out of pocket. It's sure to bring in customers, but probably not the customers you want. Offering a 90 day money back might be better, or offering a free 90 days with purchase of first 3 months or something is another way to combat this.

Nothing to do with solving your situation or question, however it is something to keep in mind as you move forward with your promotions.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but was there a solution to this?

I am trying to offer f30 days free trial on annual billing cycle. So I want the customer to sign up and subscribe to annual payment, but they won't get charged until 30 days later.

Is there any way to set this up on WHMCS?

Heres an idea guys..... Although we don't do it ourselves I think that there is a good way to do it.

I suppose you could create a package which is free (3 months hosting), and allow it to be upgraded to a 'Full' package at the end of the term.

You could then enable the upgrade to be to an identical, but charged product.

That way you aren't messing about with voucher codes etc.

Just an idea.

Edited by ChrisGooding

^what i am trying to achieve is that i want to collect their credit card / subscription during that trial period. So at the end of the trial period, i want to charge them directly. The customer will have to cancel the subscription before the trial period ends if they don't want to be charged.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon_PP,

I am wondering if you or anyone ever figured this out? It seems that people are quite worried that this would be used to enable spammers, but I am in a similar need. I'm not looking to provide a free month to random visitors, but I offer one free month of hosting to my *current* *verified* web design clients. My issue is:

I want them to subscribe to paypal immediately, but if I use a "free month" promo, or if I give them a credit, the zero balance makes the invoice show as "paid" and the paypal subscription button is not available. Even though I offer my clients a free month as a courtesy, I want them to go ahead and subscribe immediately when I set them up, instead of waiting till the next month's generated invoice, and relying on them to subscribe at that point. I am confused about how to make this work, but since I can make this work on paypal directly, I'm thinking it must be possible through the WHMCS. Does this make sense?

I hope I'm not being redundant, but I have spent a long time on this board looking for this answer.

-Thanks!

Hm. You make a good point. Suppose I might have to follow suit. I really don't see much of a choice because I don't want my clients to have the "chore" of setting up the subscription later. Everything needs to be taken care of up front, or I'll have some coaching/chasing to do during the 2nd month.

It just seems weird that this doesn't work. I could understand if you couldn't do a unique "first month" at all for subscriptions, but you can. And directly on paypal you can even do "zero." I suppose that just shows my lack of knowledge about how the gateways are setup.

-E

^I just noticed that Paypal's recurring payment can setup free trial period as well. I guess this is just down to modding WHMCS.

However, i take back what I said on the other message. You can do a refund over paypal for that 1 cents or whatever amount all your customers. Refund within first 60 days include a refund of all transaction fees.

It will be manual work for now until i can figure out something new with WHMCS.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon, anymore thoughts or progress on this?

We're looking at doing something similar, we want to do the following:

- Offer a 30 day free trial package

- Requires the customer to provide card details and an authorisation charge for £1 placed (which we refund/do not take, simply an authorisation), this would also do 3d secure etc on the card.

- We use WorldPay FuturePay so this would also set up an agreement.

At the end of the 30 days we want the customer to then be automatically switched/upgraded to one of our packages, unless they cancel beforehand. Payment will be automatically taken using the FuturePay agreement.

Still wondering the best way to do it... all a bit ugly really and require work arounds.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
^I am planning to do something similar. However, the problem for us with that is Paypal charges transaction fee $0.29 regardless of amount. It really adds up over time. I think it's better to charge like $1 "set-up" fee or something.

I think that I am managing my business, but not software manage my business. Looks like sometimes we need work like whmcs want, not us :)

• 3 months later...

What I would do is a buy one month get one month free option. In other words after they have paid for the first months hosting assign them a credit for the following months hosting in the Admin area. This way you get their credit card details and they get their free hosting.

This should also hopefully stop the spammers

Ok so in the pricing of the package you can adjust the setup fees and the monthly price. I found that to offer a 30 day trial (normally $10.00/month)set the price as if it is $10.00 but set the setup fee to -$10.00 and it should be set to $0.00 for the first month and then $10.00 a month there after. I can't tell if this work's when the customer is sent to paypal (payment gateway) to set up the subscription or not. I have also set whmcs to setup free domain names on this package.

This is where I am asking for help here. I will provide a link to a package that i have setup. Can one of you PLEASE go through the process of this and set up an demo account. I WILL NOT CHARGE YOU AND WILL CANCEL THE ACCOUNT. I just want to see if this works!!! I cant do this my self because I only have one paypal account and paypal will not let you subscribe to yourself (lol)!:-P

Thank you so much to those who try this for me, this will help us all I hope!

TEST LINK HERE

WEBGEEKZ