Cannot upgrade from 3.1.1

gtv6

I decided its about time I did an upgrade, so I downloaded v3.6 from the members area and uploaded it to my site, to discover that my current version(v3.1.1) is too old and its not possible to do a direct upgrade...

so I downloaded the v3.5.1 thats also available in the members area, but again the same problem, you need to be on at least v3.2.0 to do an upgrade..

not a problem I thought, surely they still have some of the older versions available if you ask nicely, and I can use one of those to get to a new enough version to upgrade to v3.6

apparently not though, I opened a support ticket asking this

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade but as I am still running v3.1.1 its not possible , as both the available versions I can download require at least 3.2.0 to do an upgrade... is it possible to let me have a copy of 3.2.0 that I can use for an intermediate upgrade before I go to 3.6.0 ?

thanks

Dan

and was told by Joe that

Hi

Unfortunately there is no path that will bring you direct to 3.6.0 from that old a version. You will need to order our Professional upgrade service

here > http://www.whmcs.com/upgradeservice.php

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Joe

so although I payed top whack for a lifetime licence (branding free at that), apparently its too much effort to give me a copy of a slightly older version so I can do an upgrade, when you can instead try and squeeze another $12.95 out of me.. not that $12.95 is a lot of money LOL, its just the principle of the thing

since Joe closed the ticket I dont see much option but to leave some feedback here

Sorry to read your bad experience with support.

It's still surprise me because Matt (and his team) always provided a fast, friendly and efficient support to many members here.

I am sure it lays as a misunderstanding and you'll receive within few hours (if not yet) the version you need to upgrade your system.

You pointed out an interesting problem though.

The upgrade process doesn't allow to "jump" several versions, which is not good.

Some upgrade systems, for example vBulletin, allow this.

I guess it has to be added in the Feature request list, even if it is not a "Must-have" feature.

Sorry to read your bad experience with support.

It's still surprise me because Matt (and his team) always provided a fast, friendly and efficient support to many members here.

I am sure it lays as a misunderstanding and you'll receive within few hours (if not yet) the version you need to upgrade your system.

I was a bit surprised too TBH, as part of the reason I bought WHMCS was the good support that was offered, and that was obvious from reading the forum in the past..

hopefully you are right and its possible to get a copy of an older version :)

• WHMCS CEO

Joe never said it wasn't possible to get an older version - you appear to have just assumed that as he didn't answer your specific question. He's only said there is no direct automated path from 3.1.1 to the latest 3.6. Just reply to the ticket to reopen it and we can send a download link for 3.4.

In response to "You pointed out an interesting problem though. The upgrade process doesn't allow to "jump" several versions, which is not good." That's not the case. You can upgrade from the last 9 releases to each new version without any upgrades in between.

Matt

This isn't bad service; you are simply being obstinate about running a really, really outdated version. It's very common with any piece of software that you need to keep up with versions or face difficulties upgrading and $12.95 isn't much to pay to get around that.

Probably they don't want to go to any extra effort to provide you with an old version of the software that you might actually install - which wouldn't take you any further forward. The $12.95 actually gets the job done right.

While I understand that the CS here is great,

I must disagree with you Matt, ( If this is the entire message that is )

Hi

Hi

Unfortunately there is no path that will bring you direct to 3.6.0 from that old a version. You will need to order our Professional upgrade service

here > http://www.whmcs.com/upgradeservice.php

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Joe

This looks to me exactly what it sounds like,

I wont send you a copy but pay me and I will install it.....

and thanx to Matt for offering to send the upgrade. that is customer service

... since Joe closed the ticket I dont see much option but to leave some feedback here

I very much like the WHMCS support however if I was forced to say one thing that I didn't like about it, it would have to be that, at least in my experience, the tickets are closed far too quickly. I know that replying will open the ticket but couldn't the ticket be left "answered" which can be assumed that the ticket is finished if no reply is received and automatically close after a given time period?

I read this post and all I can say is it appears to me WHMCS gave you excellent customer support.

I'm new to this place and even I know you can reopen a ticket. If they answered in a timely manor and provided a workable solution that by definition is great support. It the solution is not good for your situation you could have easily reopened the ticket to see what else they could do.

WHMCS is not at fault for someones inaction to keep version up-to-date. Over 9 versions old, come on now, please. Ever hear of being secure?

I read this post and all I can say is it appears to me WHMCS gave you excellent customer support.

- Are you talking about in the ticket or the info Matt posted after the fact?

This is how you respond to your customers?

I see you edited it after I replied... I don't think most people here would agree with your "common sense" claim.

WHMCS is not at fault for someones inaction to keep version up-to-date. Over 9 versions old, come on now, please.

- That wasn't the point of the OP's original complaint. The complaint was about a reply that basically said "you can do this by paying us for the ugprade service" as opposed to "you can pay us for the upgrade service, or download this version here that you can manually upgrade yourself"

By leaving out the latter, it implies that it isn't possible.

I see what you are saying and really I don't want to belittle anyone. It is just that is it really necessary to harm a good companies reputation over a easily resolved issue. Quite frankly, Joe provided and response or a workable solution in a timely manor whether you like the solution or not you could have continued the correspondence. Some may say Joe should have not closed the ticket and I think that is where he possibly got upset. However, as Matt says, you can re-open any ticket. Even I know this and I am new here. All he had to do was reopen the ticket and continue dialog.

No need to give bad feedback for something like this. Hey, if they answered you in 3 days and said there is no hope for you, go away, now that would be bad support and warrant muddying their reputation over. I have had one of my product supplier constantly close tickets with no response. Now that is a problem.

People think they can just do and say anything without consequences and give no concern over what that could do to someones business. That is what I am against.

So once again, why post bad feedback when you could have had the situation resolved in the ticket system quickly. I think at the moment, you didn't know what to do so and this was the result. Now people will come here and think WHMCS has crappy support.

Anyway, I hope you get your version updated. I do apologize if I have offended anyone. However, it does matter what people say and do with regards to reputations being harmed. I guess that is my main point. That's all I have to say on this. Thank you.

All in all, I think WHMCS should have mentioned that the files could have been sent. Otherwise they could do the upgrade. Reading the Original ticket and the Staff's response would get me a bit irritated and surely a follow-up response would have been sent from me. Maybe the OP should have done that as mistakes happens. After All, I don't think that particular staff member has been with WHMCS very long. Maybe he's still being educated on the off the wall inquires.

I'm not saying that is true, just my speculation since I've haven't seen him around that much until now. It's not a bad thing either. It proves WHMCS is willing to add staff to meet the demand to keep up with it's reputation. It's a growing pain.

My conclusion is that this situation does not warrant this thread or as the subject as stated.

Joe never said it wasn't possible to get an older version - you appear to have just assumed that as he didn't answer your specific question. He's only said there is no direct automated path from 3.1.1 to the latest 3.6. Just reply to the ticket to reopen it and we can send a download link for 3.4.

Matt

not wishing to start an argument, but I thought I pretty clearly stated that I'd discovered exactly that and would it be possible to have an in between version that I could use to do a 2 step upgrade to the latest version.. Joe's reply basically repeating what I'd already said and saying I would have to pay for you to perform the update did leave me with the impression it wasn't possible to get an older version..

Anyway thank you for the offer of 3.4 to do exactly that, I'm replying to the ticket now :)

To all those who said that Joe should have provided a download link to be "good" customer service, I have this to say:

Back before I ever started my hosting company, I was (and still am) a developer. I made most of my money from selling my coding skills. If a customer, prospective, or otherwise, sent me an email asking about site building, I did not mention that HTML can be learned in a couple of hours on W3. I did not mention that there is countless site-building software packages available out there, many of them free. I DID, however, tell them that I could fulfill their site's needs for $X.XX.

I run a business, just as WHMCS does. Quite honestly, the goal is to make money. I see no problem whatsoever with a WHMCS employee saying that they can fix that right up for $12.95. Upgrades are extremely easy, but I'm a busy person. I can easily see a time when I would be ecstatic about paying only $12.95 and not having to go through the trouble myself. Especially in this situation. If I was 9 versions behind, and was offered a $12.95 upgrade, I would not hesitate to whip out my CC.

Just my $.02, IMHO.

You are comparing two different things.

The OP purchased the right to use the application with support and upgrades. Your way off base.

And he had the right to support and upgrades... He simply chose not to use those options through 9 versions. That is not WHMCS' fault.

In response to "You pointed out an interesting problem though. The upgrade process doesn't allow to "jump" several versions, which is not good." That's not the case. You can upgrade from the last 9 releases to each new version without any upgrades in between.

Matt

I wasn't aware of this, so long we only wait few days before updating to the latest version available.

Don't take my words bad Matt. You are doing an awesome works and, on this side of the screen, we couldn't have been more happy with the decision we've made to migrate from MB to WHMCS.

On a side note, upgrade from the last 9 releases sounds way enough ;)

"He simply chose not to use those options through 9 versions. That is not WHMCS' fault."

Not saying it is, but what does that have to do with it? An archived downloads for older versions would have prevented this. Probably should be offered if a direct upgrade path is not given.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it" Just maybe the logic is still true. That doesn't mean a fee should be applied. Yes, the OP overreacted by the staffs reply and created this post, but it doesn't clear WHMCS from wrong doing. I sense it was an honest mistake and it will happen again. It's only human nature. Saying it's ok to charge is bad ethics in this situation. Matt promptly corrected the issue and all is well.

Come on guys, now you are just beating a dead dog. The user has gotten the files needed to do the upgrade themselves and like always, Matt and the crew have responded with a reasonable solution.

This thread should end IMO.