become eNom reseller or not ?

ruben

hi guys,

I am new to the streamlining of orders and such. Until this point it was done by hand, but like majority of you - when clients are coming at large, you cannot do it without the automatization.

I just installed WHMCS and wow.. What a fantastic piece of software!

I am offering hosting and now I am thinking of re-selling(?) domain names as well - so it will be the entire package. All hosting packages have been set-up and they work great. Now the domain name..

I contacted my hosting company ( through whom I will purchase the reseller account with enom ), and asked them about the RESELLER ( I already have the retail account with enom ) account. As a reply I got this:

(...)

The default account that we set you up with through eNom is a 'retail' account. Most of our resellers choose this option because the only advantage of having a 'domain reseller' account would be that you can use eNom's automated registration scripts/API.

The downside of a domain reseller account as opposed to retail, is that there is a $100 deposit required. There are many fraudulent domain purchases, and unlike other things, there are no refunds on domain names through eNom or any other registrar.

We choose to do every domain registration manually, and therefore highly suggest you do the same and forgo the automation.

(...)

Now my question is as follow - on a long run would I benefit by registering everything by hand ?

To those of you who use enom and WHMCS - when a client wants to purchase domain and hosting ( whole package ), does the enom script purchases the domain name right away, without waiting for the client's payment clearance ?

If thats the case, I would understand the risks of getting RESELLER account and automatization script. However if the scripts is waiting for the client's fund to clear - and only after that - the domain is purchased on your behalf, then I don't see too much risk involved.. Am I right ?

What are the best practices amongst small business like mine?

Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks in advance, every comment will be very valuable for me!

WHMCS will automate everything for you , there is an option in whmcs where the script will register the domain as soon as the payment is received without any action from you.

Get your account directly from enom because if you have any fraud orders you can cancel them with enom within the first few days after registraton ( i think 4 days but not sure)

hi joe123, thank you very much for your information. I checked enom directly ( skipping the middle guy ), but looks like enom charges fees for being a reseller, while my host would give it for free. ( and cheap yearly domains )

however, the issue of being able to refund the fraud orders makes a big selling point for me.

I will look into that right now.

thank you again,

Ruben.

WHMCS will automate everything for you , there is an option in whmcs where the script will register the domain as soon as the payment is received without any action from you.

Get your account directly from enom because if you have any fraud orders you can cancel them with enom within the first few days after registraton ( i think 4 days but not sure)

Whilst this maybe the case now - this will soon not be possible as ICANN are changing the rules to stop 'domain tasting' etc.

hi guys,

I am new to the streamlining of orders and such. Until this point it was done by hand, but like majority of you - when clients are coming at large, you cannot do it without the automatization.

I just installed WHMCS and wow.. What a fantastic piece of software!

I am offering hosting and now I am thinking of re-selling(?) domain names as well - so it will be the entire package. All hosting packages have been set-up and they work great. Now the domain name..

I contacted my hosting company ( through whom I will purchase the reseller account with enom ), and asked them about the RESELLER ( I already have the retail account with enom ) account. As a reply I got this:

(...)

(...)

Now my question is as follow - on a long run would I benefit by registering everything by hand ?

To those of you who use enom and WHMCS - when a client wants to purchase domain and hosting ( whole package ), does the enom script purchases the domain name right away, without waiting for the client's payment clearance ?

If thats the case, I would understand the risks of getting RESELLER account and automatization script. However if the scripts is waiting for the client's fund to clear - and only after that - the domain is purchased on your behalf, then I don't see too much risk involved.. Am I right ?

What are the best practices amongst small business like mine?

Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks in advance, every comment will be very valuable for me!

You can set WHMCS to not process a domain reg order until you've accepted (approved) the order. Having an eNom resller account and using WHMCS to interact with it simplifies things quite a bit, as it only requires one approval click from me and the order is processed.

The downside to one of eNom's reseller policies is that when you refill your account online using a credit card, they charge a 35 ($3.00 on $100.00) "convenience fee." As far as *I* have ever known (and I've been self-employed and owned retail stores since the mid-80's), charging extra for credit card use has always been an illegal practice.

They don't charge a fee, or require a minimum of $100 refill, if you send a check or refill by wire transfer. Aside from the legalities of the fee, I can't imagine why they'd prefer receiving paper checks as opposed to credit card payments. I realize on a large scale credit cards are more prone to fraud, but if you have proper precautions in place (as I would expect eNom would), they're much easier and less labor-intensive than paper checks.

3% isn't a big deal at all, it's just a minor annoyance.

Regarding risk and automating enom - the WHMCS module saves the enom password in the database raw. I have an enom reseller account, but I stopped WHMCS using it automatically once I realised this.

I once contacted matt about this, but he didn't seem to see the problem (Yet, he knows it's a good idea to encrypt customer passwords...).

We're switching to Directi as soon as possible. With the manually accepting pending orders feature, we have no need for Enom's fraud/domain tasting support. While we've had great experience with Enom, Directi is SO MUCH CHEAPER!

1. WHMCS Plan - No minimums, no deposits, $7.95 per domain

2. Directly through Directi - $199 deposit gets you $8.99 domain, $499 gets you $7.49, $1499 gets you $7.25, and so on. The deposit for an account though, is counted as the TOTAL value of all money you've ever put in. If you got the $199 deposit plan, and a year down the road you've thrown in $300 more, you're on the $499 plan now with cheaper domains. It keeps going and upgrading, something Enom doesn't offer.

Enom's plan? You can either pay a one-time NON-USABLE setup fee ranging from $195 for a $10.45 domain to $1595 for a $7.45 domain, or you can put in a minimum deposit ranging from $1495 for $9.45 domains to $6995 for $7.45 domains.

So to compare, for a $7.45 domain on Enom or $7.49 on Directi...

Directi's Cost: $499 USABLE deposits

Enom's Cost: $6995 USABLE deposits, or $1595 NON-USABLE setup fee.

While Enom is a big name, and they're okay to use, Directi is cheaper all-around now that Enom nixed the $6.50 domains (which they'll probably never bring back).

Just my $.02

The only issue with using another provider such as directi is the existing domains.

Do you transfer them all over (costing 1 year fee per domain) or leave them where they are?

Shame you can move domains like you can with UK domains i.e. free of charge.

Directi offers refunds. There is a $1 service charge but you get back most of your money.

John

Enom also generally gives the money back if you haggle with them and tell them it was a fraudulent purchase. $1 isn't so bad, considering I'm using fraud prevention via WHMCS and I'm also manually checking orders.

Just wonder why donot you use wildwestdomain. It is much cheaper. I register all my domains in http://www.powerhoster.com and I knew it is the reseller of wildwest domains, but it can always give me the best price to register the domains.

Now I have a lot of domains. I want to be a reseller too. Just thinking:

wildwestdomain

enom

directi

resellerclub

which is the best for me.

We're switching to Directi as soon as possible. With the manually accepting pending orders feature, we have no need for Enom's fraud/domain tasting support. While we've had great experience with Enom, Directi is SO MUCH CHEAPER!

1. WHMCS Plan - No minimums, no deposits, $7.95 per domain

2. Directly through Directi - $199 deposit gets you $8.99 domain, $499 gets you $7.49, $1499 gets you $7.25, and so on. The deposit for an account though, is counted as the TOTAL value of all money you've ever put in. If you got the $199 deposit plan, and a year down the road you've thrown in $300 more, you're on the $499 plan now with cheaper domains. It keeps going and upgrading, something Enom doesn't offer.

Enom's plan? You can either pay a one-time NON-USABLE setup fee ranging from $195 for a $10.45 domain to $1595 for a $7.45 domain, or you can put in a minimum deposit ranging from $1495 for $9.45 domains to $6995 for $7.45 domains.

So to compare, for a $7.45 domain on Enom or $7.49 on Directi...

Directi's Cost: $499 USABLE deposits

Enom's Cost: $6995 USABLE deposits, or $1595 NON-USABLE setup fee.

While Enom is a big name, and they're okay to use, Directi is cheaper all-around now that Enom nixed the $6.50 domains (which they'll probably never bring back).

Just my $.02

We've always been with enom but are moving over to netearthone which WHMC also has the API for, its even cheaper than DirectI as the domains are $6.95 (I think roughly) for .com with no deposit and no minimum to get those prices.

Just wonder why donot you use wildwestdomain. It is much cheaper. I register all my domains in http://www.powerhoster.com and I knew it is the reseller of wildwest domains, but it can always give me the best price to register the domains.

Now I have a lot of domains. I want to be a reseller too. Just thinking:

wildwestdomain

enom

directi

resellerclub

which is the best for me.

I like to have control over the money I receive from domain sales, thats why I wouldn't be a reseller with wildwestdomains. If I make $1 profit from a sale I want that $1 in my bank not held for 3 months before wildwestdomains send me a cheque.

As I put in my other post there is also netearthone to add to your list.

We have been using enom for a long time now, wouldnt move away from them, ok so we got the account through moderndns (modernbill) and even though we no longer have an account with modernbill we get pretty decent support from enom directly, had a bit of an incident a while back and now they are more than happy to help us

We've always been with enom but are moving over to netearthone which WHMC also has the API for, its even cheaper than DirectI as the domains are $6.95 (I think roughly) for .com with no deposit and no minimum to get those prices.

Thanks for the recommendation, I spoke with Chris from NetEarth and based on the price and good support I'm going to go with him instead.