Suggestion for List of Changed Templates

RPS

Whenever a release contains a template change, the listed files that were changed, should be complete paths to the files.

For example, the 3.5 to 3.6 release, shows:

- clientareaaddfunds.tpl

- clientareachangepw.tpl

- clientareahome.tpl

- domainchecker.tpl

- login.tpl

- orderforms/cart/adddomain.tpl

- orderforms/cart/complete.tpl

- orderforms/cart/configureproductdomain.tpl

templates/clientareaaddfunds.tpl does not exist

So now I have to use a search to find out where the file is located. By doing that, I notice TWO files now, as opposed to one. Instead, this is how the files should be listed that were changed.

- templates/default/clientareaaddfunds.tpl

- templates/portal/clientareaaddfunds.tpl

Even recently, there have been posted problems online of people having a problem with finding out which template is supposed to be updated.

• WHMCS CEO

You seem to be slightly confused about how to interpret the list of changed files so I'll clarify below for anyone in the same position.

Both templates - default and portal - are identical except for the header and footer. When a template file is listed as changed it has changed universally. You can take the template from whichever template folder you wish.

There has never been any confusion reported before regarding the changed files lists in the upgrade readme.

Matt

Looking at the file that contains that information, it isn't mentioned anywhere that you need to apply changes to both default and portal templates.

Maybe have the first part mention "apply changes to both default and portal templates" and then leave the 2nd part about the order forms the way it is.

• WHMCS CEO
Looking at the file that contains that information, it isn't mentioned anywhere that you need to apply changes to both default and portal templates.

Just by uploading the new version updates the default templates. It is only custom templates you need to upload changed files into manually - and for those it doesn't matter which template folder you take the file from they will be the same.

Matt

Just by uploading the new version updates the default templates. It is only custom templates you need to upload changed files into manually - and for those it doesn't matter which template folder you take the file from they will be the same.

Matt

- I've modified both default and portal, so that if the template is ever changed, I don't have to reskin everything. My point is just that the full path should be listed, for everything.

- I've modified both default and portal, so that if the template is ever changed, I don't have to reskin everything. My point is just that the full path should be listed, for everything.
Your not using a custom template folder? Perhaps that is where the confusion lies as it is wise to create your own template folder. I actually like to delete the default ones.

• WHMCS CEO

I don't see what benefit that would bring? It's just going to mean every template file is listed twice. People don't usually update the default template folders manually - only their custom template folders - so they only need the names of the changed ones.

Matt

I don't see what benefit that would bring?

- Clarity :)

It's just going to mean every template file is listed twice.

- Here's a better way then...

If you put:

- templates/[name of template]/clientareaaddfunds.tpl

Then it will be more clear than if you were to just list clientareaaddfunds.tpl

I honestly believe that anyone confused by matts instructions shouldnt be editing templates in the beginning. =)

- There is no reason why someone shouldn't be able to figure it out, but improving the clarity of it, is always best. My entire point is that it can be improved.

95% of the customers won't even think twice, but there is the 5% that will wonder what's going on. I try to go for 100% all the time, I don't want that 5% to waste my time with something that could be explained better.

It seems like a lot of hosts here lack the ability to see these types of usability improvements. Everyone looks at the fact that nothing is wrong, but nobody really sees the fact it could be better.

The readme lists what template files were changed, those files are included in *EVERY* default template, and therefore would be updated in every default template.

If you've modified any of the files listed as updated, then you need to modify the new versions.

The readme could be even more clear fully qulaifying your home directory /usr/home/youraccount/public_html/whmcsfolder/templates/templatename/thefile.tpl

Or he could modify it by listing it as

http://www.yourdomain.com/yourwhmcs/templates/template/thetemplate.tpl

Maybe even ftp.yourdomain.com -> /public_html/WHMCSFolder/templates/template/thefile.tpl?

But what would the point be?

If you know how to modify the templates, you should know how to modify/update the templates on an upgrade. The readme has all of the clarity it needs.

Personally I don't see why you would modify both templates, you plan on swapping back and forth and confusing your clients, or appearing unstable?

Personally I feel this thread is a waste of time... Sorry to be harsh.

Mike

Personally I feel this thread is a waste of time... Sorry to be harsh.

- You, as well as a lot people on here, have more of a technical mindset. I don't really expect you to understand ways to improve usability.

If anything, you're thinking with a technical mindset with this. You're turning something overly simple, into something overly redundant/technical.

You just need to know that ANYTHING that has that file name has changes involved with it. I mean, the files occur in BOTH default templates WHMCS provides. I think it's more than enough clarification.. And even if it wasn't, that's what the support/forums is for..

And it seems that most people who have edited their template files, know what to expect with upgrades/updates.

And it seems that most people who have edited their template files, know what to expect with upgrades/updates.

- I have said that over and over, I agree. Most people are fine, but my point is that it could be better and that the word "most" would be 1 step closer to "all".