Is it me, or is maxmind not blocking orders from South Africa?

neobug103

SA/ZA isnt a high-risk country, no.

We've seen very little fraud or even attempted fraud from there and have quite a few happ South African clients.

Have you tried blocking proxies - the only attempted fraud orders I've seen from there have all been through proxies.

I'm thinking of using maxmind but want to know if you see some kind of verification confirmation in order page in admin area telling me that this order passed fraud check ?

Is it instant or takes time so order stays pending (client doesn't get account information) until verification is complete ?

Where to decide what countries to block, WHMCS or maxmind account ?

an overview of your experience with maxmind+WHMCS will be appreciated.

You get a nice block on the order page with all the details of the check :D Orders function normally if the check has passed. I guess it gets marked as fraud if it doesn't? We haven't had one fail yet since turning it on so we can't say how it handles a fail!

maxmind.jpg

You get a nice block on the order page with all the details of the check :D Orders function normally if the check has passed. I guess it gets marked as fraud if it doesn't? We haven't had one fail yet since turning it on so we can't say how it handles a fail!

Nice screen shot man.

Now can you share screen shot of how you set it in WHMCS ? mainly those values

MaxMind Fraud Risk Score

Telephone Fraud Score

Also do you activate phone verification ?

I've not had a problem without phone verification turned on so have no reason to change. It has blocked alot of fraud orders as it is.

I've no idea how many orders it checks, but login to your WHMCS Client area and there is a link at the bottom of the page.

By the way, your site has been down for a few hours now...

I've not had a problem without phone verification turned on so have no reason to change. It has blocked alot of fraud orders as it is.

I've no idea how many orders it checks, but login to your WHMCS Client area and there is a link at the bottom of the page.

By the way, your site has been down for a few hours now...

I have read some negative feedbacks about phone check here so won't use it. I will check the link in WHMCS client area to get to Maxmind

Yeah it's on FDCservers and they have electrical maintenance that was announced 3 days ago and expected downtime should be 3-5 hours as mentioned in the announcement.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=670157

Thanks for the info you gave to me.

we have ours set to 2.1 (require telephone) and 4.5 (block) and it stops all but the most determined frauster

it has on a few occasions blocked real order (who've then rung up to tell us) but thats rare- almost always because *they* have provided an invalid phone number

not every fraud order will get the detail - most just close their browser when they find out you're validating the details, so the callback from maxmind doesnt work

Yeah south affrica is a * country. They want to get americans money and they'll do it anyway possible. From mass emailing from your server. Or to putting up a site to get Americans information. I'm actually typing a paper on this for my school. The FBI and the rest of the american government are trying to do the best they can. But its just so hard to take care of this problem especially where it is located. But if YOUR server techs are accepting this order then I would tell them not to :) maybe check all the IP's when they sign up just to be safe. Going out of your way might keep your self out of trouble.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the problem isn't that the techs are accepting the orders. Rather we have instant domain registration on to keep our current clients happy as they are domain-happy.

We have had several signups from south africa, all which have resulted in chargebacks and all had a low fraud score and therefore we are wasting money on fraudulent domain purchases constantly. Does anybody know if we can override either WHMCS or Maxmind to block South Africa signups and give them the message that is shown if maxmind determines it is a fraudulent signup?

Well the problem isn't that the techs are accepting the orders. Rather we have instant domain registration on to keep our current clients happy as they are domain-happy.

We have had several signups from south africa, all which have resulted in chargebacks and all had a low fraud score and therefore we are wasting money on fraudulent domain purchases constantly. Does anybody know if we can override either WHMCS or Maxmind to block South Africa signups and give them the message that is shown if maxmind determines it is a fraudulent signup?

With enom (not sure about the others) you have five days on a lot of tld's to get a refund on the domain name if its fraud.

I guess you could block the entire South-African IP space in firewall. But it wouldn't be a 100% secure solution, as some might be using IP-addresses from within a PI space, which basically is geographically independent.

Secondly, it would block existing customers being in the area as well.

• 1 year later...
Yeah south affrica is a * country. They want to get americans money and they'll do it anyway possible. From mass emailing from your server. Or to putting up a site to get Americans information. I'm actually typing a paper on this for my school. The FBI and the rest of the american government are trying to do the best they can. But its just so hard to take care of this problem especially where it is located. But if YOUR server techs are accepting this order then I would tell them not to :) maybe check all the IP's when they sign up just to be safe. Going out of your way might keep your self out of trouble.

Good luck!

Maybe you should focus on your homework if you don't even know where or what South Africa is.

During 6 years of hosting we get almost NO fraud orders from South Africa and a few from UK and USA signups.

The same apply to spam where the majority of spam in the world originate from USA and Japan.

And Brazil

(And if I want to be as ignorant as the other writer I could therefore said it's USA because it's from the same continent)

South Africa have it's problems but online fraud is not one of them. (To be really honest I suspect it's because other crime is MUCH easier, faster and profitable than online crime while being (internet) educated is not a strong point amongst our criminals)

• 4 weeks later...