Cannot pay an invoice with credit

Rob K

Hi

I have a client that has £300 credit and an invice for £275.

When I try to add £275 from his credit to the invoice I get an error saying:

"You cannot add more credit than the invoice total"

I am not adding more than the total, I am adding the exact amount.

What is going on here, is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I had initially marked the invoice as paid, but then marked it as unpaid (as I wanted to use his credit) and the total £275 was showing as due, but there was a transaction for £275, so I deleted that and now it works.

It seems odd that there is a transaction for £275 but it shows the invoice total being due.

The next problem with this is - the email it sent to the client says:

-------------------------

This is a payment receipt for Invoice 165 sent on 01/02/2008

Due Date: 02/03/2008

Amount Paid: £0.00 GBP

-------------------------

Why does it say £0.00? - it should say something like - paid £275 from your accounts credit.

There is no way the client can know that this has been paid from his accounts credit balance.

I am not adding more than the total, I am adding the exact amount.

What is going on here, is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Is the £275 *including tax* ? I've noticed it only lets you pay upto the nett amount not the gross amount, you have to use the credit in 2 passes.

And yes, the "amount paid £0" is a bug (from an accounting sense)

This reminds me, WHMCS will generate invoice for domain that have a renewal price set to 0.00. It will create invoice with value 0.00 and mark it as paid and that is a bug in Europe, from accounting perspective, and if using sequential invoicing that will increase paid invoice number and send incorect invoice with value 0.00 to client.

In this case we need to delete such invoice and lower "Next Paid Invoice Number", but still incorect invoice is already sent to client and that can't be corrected :(

I think that invoice with price 0.00 shouldn't be created.

This reminds me, WHMCS will generate invoice for domain that have a renewal price set to 0.00. It will create invoice with value 0.00 and mark it as paid and that is a bug in Europe, from accounting perspective

That would be the normal thing in the UK, and certainly is acceptable in NL, an invoice for ZERO is quite common, and on things like samples etc often a legal requirement.