domain name server settings

vj135

Hi,

I am currently selling domain names and giving domain name users ns1.anmoltech.net/ns2.anmoltech.net. (anmoltech.com is the name of my webhosting business and anmoltech.NET is where i have WHMCS installed.)

For those that purchase domain + webhosting -- should i assign them ns1.anmoltech.COM instead of .NET?

what is the advantage/dis-advantage for customers using .NET/.COM?

for example a customer purchases a domain name and also a hosting package(hosted on anmoltech.COM) does he have to point his domain name to ns1.anmoltech.com?

thanks

They should be given whatever nameservers are the ones that are setup for your server. Most likely

ns1.anmoltech.com

ns2.anmoltech.com

if the .com is on the same server where your hosting accounts are going to be. Lookslike the .net is here though:

Name Server: NS10.DOTCOLO.COM

Name Server: NS9.DOTCOLO.COM

John

That depends on if you have the namservers actually set up or not. You need to do several things to make nameservers work:

1) Create the nameserver at the registrar, based on the domain name you wish to use

2) Add them into the DNS record for that name, at the server level.

Net or COM makes no difference, as long as you have an actual nameserver set up to handle the requests for that clients domain when it's looked up on your server. If the server is set up to answer requests on the nameserver you give customers, and they point the domain to your server (by adding those NS records to thier domain registration) then it should work.

[ I type slower than John ^^ :D ]

I have a directi account thru/via WHMCS.

So in directi i have to go to settings/nameservers -- if i use the " Use branded nameserver" option its asking for 4 nameservers. I have a reseller account and i was given only 2 nameservers.

Would really appreciate your help -- thanks to both john and bear for responding

regards,

vj

Enter only the nameservers you were given with your reseller account. You should have been given the IP addresses as well, if they ask for it. Once that's done, any accounts you set up on your server using those nameservers should resolve properly.

Just to be clear, you also need to create (if you haven't already) these same nameservers at Directi for the domain name used for your reseller account. This information is needed at both the registrar and the server level to work properly.

Enter only the nameservers you were given with your reseller account. You should have been given the IP addresses as well, if they ask for it. Once that's done, any accounts you set up on your server using those nameservers should resolve properly.

Just to be clear, you also need to create (if you haven't already) these same nameservers at Directi for the domain name used for your reseller account. This information is needed at both the registrar and the server level to work properly.

i put ns1.anmoltech.com and ns2.anmoltech.com but it says ns3 and ns4 required

In Direct i -- under Settings/Nameservers -- i have to change the radio button to "Use Branded Name Server" don't i? I have a hosting biz -- but its a reseller account. I do have a dedicated/custom nameserver -- but was given only 2 ns1 and ns2 .anmoltech.com --

If i do have to change the nameservers in directi like i mentioned above --- its not allowing me to --- it needs 2 additional nameservers.

Can i simply put ns3 and ns4.anmoltech.com -- do i need permission from the actual server owner or is it ok?

settings in whmcs configuration/domain registrar to ns1 and ns2.anmoltech.com

thanks

Settings/Products/Domain Registration/Default nameserver info ---- i also see this in the Directi page --- i have filled the first 2 boxes up with ns1 and ns2.anmoltech.COM (changed it from .net to .com)

now do i also have to make changes in under Settings/Nameservers ???

thanks

"" --- Enter URLs of the type in the boxes below. It is your responsibility to point the branded Nameserver domain names to our server """ -- this is what it says under Settings/Nameservers -- i think they mean only if i buy or resell under DIRECT i servers

please tell me if i am right or wrong -- if i am right then i dont have to worry about filling anything in -- because i only purchase domains from directi and server space and bandwidth from someone else.

please reply

thanks