Is there a way to allow Stripe to store customer card data instead of locally in whmcs?

I have current customers with credit card info stored in whmcs. I would like to switch away from that and use stripe so that all cc info is stored in stripe. Here’s what I did:

1.    Added stripe to whmcs payment gateway
2.    Removed paypal, it asked what payment method to switch all users to and I selected stipe. 
3.    I went to a customer unpaid invoice, tried to capture the payment and received an error message:

Stripe payment Error
error => Sending credit card numbers directly to the Stripe API is generally unsafe. To continue processing use Stripe.js, the Stripe mobile bindings, or Stripe Elements. For more information, see https://dashboard.stripe.com/account/integration/settings.

From the whmcs stripe module page here is what it says:

“With Stripe Elements, sensitive card details never touch your servers simplifying PCI requirements, making it easier and faster for you to meet PCI Compliance.”

It looks like the card data API can be enabled in Stripe but I would need to fill out a bunch of PCI compliance paperwork with stripe and I don't really want to mess with that. I would rather have stripe handle the payments, store the cc info, etc. How can I achieve that? Do I just delete all customer saved CC data, send a mass email telling them that they will need to checkout via stripe, and then stripe will store the info and auto charge it next time? 

Please let me know how I can transition from paypal to stripe and allow users to pay and store info at stripe. Thanks for your help.

The docs say:  

For an existing client with a locally-stored credit card, the first time that the system attempts to capture payment for an invoice using Stripe, the system will submit the credit card details to Stripe and create and store a token. Then, the system will remove the local copy of the card details.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Stripe#Migrating_to_Stripe

4 hours ago, bear said:

Is there a difference between me clicking "Attempt Capture" and "the first time that the system attempts to capture payment"? I attempted capture manually from the invoice page and that's when I got the error. I already did all the exact steps in the link above.