No SSL certificate, how to remove mention ?

dsaunier

You're probably right on a psychological point of view so I may add one to that site too, however most of the data involved in registering a domain is then transmitted unencrypted to registrars, or even ends up in clear text in public databases, so there no real technical need for SSL in such a site - whereas I've been having certificates for years on our other sites that handle sensitive data.

<Aside>

Of course, SSL actually provides almost no extra security (since the vulernabilities these days lie at the end of the communication path, not the middle, since the advent of switches providing virtual switched circuits which are effectively private). But as in real life, it's all about appearances ... :)

</Aside>

Internet users are slowly getting educated, and coming to the conclusion that these cheap SSl certificates are just as worthless as not having one - "domain" certificates should not be used for "ecommerce" encryption ...

I'm sorry mate, but I cannot agree with you that cheap SSL certs are just as worthless as not having one (unless by "ecommerce" you specifically mean businesses with a seven-figure online revenue). If we are talking about 128/256 bit single-root certificates, it is the same encryption for a cheap certificate as it is for an expensive one.

Even a self-signed certificate uses the same encryption, but it has no trustworthiness with browsers, so should be avoided for ecommerce use.

For $12.95 you can get a 128/256 bit single root RapidSSL cert with a $10,000 guarantee and recognition by 99% of the browsers out there.

Rick