Office365 POP Mail Import for support tickets

Hi All, 

My mail import for Office365 has been working fine for years, but yesterday morning. i started getting the error: 

The Mail Import test failed: last request failed: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

I have checked the username and password and all is OK. 

POP is enabled in office365 and also the security settings are off in Azure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • WHMCS Support Manager

Hi all,

Thanks for these reports. If an error has simultaneously started occurring at the same time for multiple users, particularly without making any POP changes to WHMCS, this would point towards an issue on Microsoft's side.  I'd recommend checking with Microsoft support for further information on the cause of the error.

The only related change of which I'm currently aware, is Microsoft's forthcoming plan to disable basic auth for POP/IMAP, that will affect any software which checks or monitors mailboxes automatically. However this is not scheduled to start until 1st October 2022. It's possible someone at Microsoft or your Exchange administrators may have jumped the gun and switched off Basic Auth for POP/IMAP early.

The above article and this Exchange Team May 2022 Blog Post look to contain some information on how Exchange administrators can continue to use Basic Auth for POP/IMAP until the switch-off begins.

For further updates on support for POP/IMAP Modern Auth with Microsoft Exchange in WHMCS, please subscribe to the feature request: https://requests.whmcs.com/idea/additional-authentication-options-for-pop3-exchange-online

If you are unable to use Basic Auth for POP with your Microsoft Exchange service for some reason, a potential workaround is to forward emails to a regular mailbox which does support Basic Username/Password authentication, and have WHMCS import from there.

To update the POP/IMAP Import mailbox settings in WHMCS, navigate to Configuration > System Settings > Support Departments > Edit.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:35 AM, Donias said:

I started experiencing this issue as well. No changes on the Office365 account but suddenly receive this email every 5 mins

This started occurring today for us as well.   No changes on the M365 end.  Currently forwarding to another mailbox/domain to connect to POP.

Hey all,

This also happened to me.  MS is "selectively" disabling the service for 12-48 hours to "make people aware" of the issue.  There is a way to manually re-enable it.  Here are the instructions:

Basic Authentication and Exchange Online – September 2021 Update - Microsoft Tech Community

I followed the instructions, re-enabled POP, and all started working again.

Hope this helps.

- Steve

For anyone having difficulty, Microsoft has been disabling POP3 for 48 hours across multiple tenants one at a time. So if you experience a sudden login failure, it is most likely the reason.

The good news - it can be reactivated (Until October)

Firstly, login to admin.microsoft.com and navigate to Health -> Service Health. There should be an item listed in the "Active issues".

image.png.a7a58a99ce7e0478cab7dc63625036ee.png

If this is what you see, then this issue is relevant.

Follow steps for Self-Service Re-Enablement and POP3 will be working again within minutes.

Moving foward - what to do before October

By October the POP3 service is set to be permanently disabled so the hope is that WHMCS team will implement oAuth for Exchange. You should also consider an alternative in the case this is not ready in time such as Set up Office365 with WHMCS Piping features however instead of using cPanel and Piping, i believe this may be possible to use any mail service that supports POP3 and use this instead.