PayPal IPN Question

Hello, does anyone know where or which file does WHMCS store the PayPal's IPN URL?

We always get the following warning from PayPal, however the URL inside the PayPal account is correct, so the wrong URL should come from WHMCS.

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

We are using PayPal Basic module. Any idea will be highly appreatiated!

Years ago I had a similar problem and the solution was to add www in the scripts settings (was not WHMCS). eg if in your PayPal you've set https://www.domain.com and in WHMCS domain settings you've https://domain.com maybe this can cause the error.

EDITED: Just keep in mind that the return URL in your PP account works only if the script (WHMCS in this case) does not send the return url. eg in my PP account I still have an old domain that I'm not using. So the problem must be in your WHMCS settings. My opinion is to add www in your domain url.

Edited by WHMUp

Hi, thanks for the input but the URL in the email warning is totally different... something that we used several years ago.

I will try the "new" PayPal gateway recommended by WHMCS, just worried that old subscriptions will not work properly.

40 minutes ago, hkhost said:

Hi, thanks for the input but the URL in the email warning is totally different... something that we used several years ago.

I will try the "new" PayPal gateway recommended by WHMCS, just worried that old subscriptions will not work properly.

What do you have as "Return URL" at Website payment preferences at your PayPal account? Is the domain on that URL correct?

Not in the page where you've activated IPN but  at: My Profiles-> Account Settings-> PRODUCTS & SERVICES-> Website Payments

Edited by WHMUp

12 minutes ago, WHMUp said:

What do you have as "Return URL" at Website payment preferences at your PayPal account? Is the domain on that URL correct?

Not in the page where you've activated IPN but  at: My Profiles-> Account Settings-> PRODUCTS & SERVICES-> Website Payments

Website payment preferences / Auto return for website payments = OFF (No URL added).

I don't think its relevant for this issue, but thanks anyway.

32 minutes ago, hkhost said:

Website payment preferences / Auto return for website payments = OFF (No URL added).

I don't think its relevant for this issue, but thanks anyway.

Then the only that I can suggest you is to make a global search in your database with phpMyAdmin for the wrong domain, to see if it exists somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I received the same email and was able to figure it out. In my case the cause was that we changed our WHMCS portal url a while ago, and so we also changed the IPN url in our Paypal account to match the change. The problem is that subscriptions created before the IPN url change don't update theirs, so they use the old one (see Matt's answer on this thread). The solution unfortunately was to cancel the subscriptions that were created previous to the change. Hope this helps someone.