Gateway of 8.0.0 has encrypted fields?

• WHMCS Technical Analyst II

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to WHMCS.

In version 8.0, WHMCS will ensure sensitive gateway related data is encrypted before it's inserted into the tblpaymentgateways table.

The following gateway settings, which don't contain sensitive data won't be encrypted:

name
type
visible
convertto

This change should not affect gateway modules developed as per our SDK as the gateway module will be retrieving said configuration values from within the $params array (which will pass the decrypted values of settings within the _config function of the module) which is passed to all functions within the gateway module.

The change itself represents a positive step forward to protecting sensitive gateway related configuration values within WHMCS.

That being said, we would be interested to know of the need for being able to decrypt those values directly, via the API or another method and how that relates to the integration you have developed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I solved this problem by using getGatewayVariables function.

This function can be used to retrieve the configuration data for a module as specified in the _config array. For example, it might be needed to get a gateway username or secret key to validate a callback. Source https://developers.whmcs.com/payment-gateways/callbacks/#get-gateway-variables

$vars = getGatewayVariables('gateway_name');

You might need to include gatewayfunctions.php file if the function does not exist.

require_once ROOTDIR . '/includes/gatewayfunctions.php';

I hope this method is appropriate.

12 hours ago, alzintani said:

You might need to include gatewayfunctions.php file if the function does not exist.

thank you very much

On 8/24/2020 at 2:53 PM, WHMCS Alex said:

Hello,

In version 8.0, WHMCS will ensure sensitive gateway related data is encrypted before it's inserted into the tblpaymentgateways table.

The following gateway settings, which don't contain sensitive data won't be encrypted:

name
type
visible
convertto

This change should not affect gateway modules developed as per our SDK as the gateway module will be retrieving said configuration values from within the $params array (which will pass the decrypted values of settings within the _config function of the module) which is passed to all functions within the gateway module.

The change itself represents a positive step forward to protecting sensitive gateway related configuration values within WHMCS.

That being said, we would be interested to know of the need for being able to decrypt those values directly, via the API or another method and how that relates to the integration you have developed?

Honestly I'd love to see this automatically decrypted in code before returning, something like this. When using such a cast, it is fully transparant to the code using the models. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, WHMCS Alex said:

Hello,

name
type
visible
convertto

@WHMCS Alex Please refer to Ticket #DIN-271775. I use Laravel to get pertinent information for my payment gateway, such as version number, Sandbox or Token Credentials to connect to the API, etc in the Configuration portion for the Gateway. Is there a way to get this back to the old way? 

On 9/18/2020 at 4:43 PM, alzintani said:

This is what I ended up doing and it works.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gitex said:

Hello

I need to encrypt value to store in tblpaymentgateway ...

How i can do it ?

my custom addons not working with version 8...

please let me know the solution...

Hello @Gitex,

Let's address this in two parts:

I need to encrypt value to store in tblpaymentgateway ...

How i can do it ?

Do you mean decrypt? I'd suppose if you want to ENCRYPT you could use md5, but then you'd need to decrypt in PHP. WHMCS uses encryption already, so to decrypt what they have, you'd need something like this:

function gateway_capture($params) {
$GatewayConfig = getGatewayVariables('gatewayName');
$testM = $GatewayConfig["testMode"];
}

What this does is grabs the parameters that are encoded. As such, I've given you a start. From here, you'd need tokens, client info, etc, which are used as parameters. I'd look up the documentation if you need more guidance. You would replace gateway and gatewayName to the actual name of your gateway.

my custom addons not working with version 8...

please let me know the solution...

What type of addons are you trying to use? As I mentioned above, if it's the gateway portion, you'll need to use the excerpt above. I use the Licensing addon for my payment gateway, and it works flawlessly with Version 8. We are solving something internal with conversion, but using the Params portion will make your gateway work with version 8. At first, we were using straight laravel, but even the SDK says use $params.

Hello @mfoland

lets explain it...

now i can decrypt encoded hash from database to its real value...

but i need to know how ENCRYPT values like email, password,usernames TO HASH for saving in tblpaymentgateways

my custom addon must update values in gateway every 1 hour ... so i need to know how i can encrypt these.

thank you

1 minute ago, Gitex said:

Hello @mfoland

lets explain it...

now i can decrypt encoded hash from database to its real value...

but i need to know how ENCRYPT values like email, password,usernames TO HASH for saving in tblpaymentgateways

my custom addon must update values in gateway every 1 hour ... so i need to know how i can encrypt these.

thank you

I'm not exactly sure on how you would encrypt and update every one hour! Sounds like a heck of a payment gateway. What I would do is use md5 personally, but I think for what you are doing, is an SHA hash. Refer to this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10916284/how-to-encrypt-decrypt-data-in-php

As far as having it change every hour, you'll need to likely set up a cron job that would use Laravel to change these values. Something WHMCS may be able to pipe in, or the development community as I'm not sure how to exactly get these to change every hour.

@mfoland  @Gitex 

I would recommend not to use MD5 for anything other then fingerprinting files these days. If you need to encrypt and decrypt values, you also can't use MD5 - as it's an hashing algoritm with by itself can't be "decoded" of "decrypted".

The individual gateway settings are stored in the table `tblpaymentgateways`. A model (class) exists for this table at `\WHMCS\Module\GatewaySetting`. If you get the gateway setting that you want to encrypt/decrypt using that class and set it with `$model->value`, it'll be automatically encrypted and decrypted.

@Wouter0100 @mfoland i need to know how i can encrypt strings for tblpaymentgateways ... i need to know the function that WHMCS  8 use to store values in tblpaymentgateways... i need WHMCS 8 internal encrypt and decrypt for tblpaymentgateways .

it seems above link decrypt values...

now i need encryption that WHMCS 8 use...

Just now, Gitex said:

@Wouter0100 @mfoland i need to know how i can encrypt strings for tblpaymentgateways ... i need to know the function that WHMCS  8 use to store values in tblpaymentgateways... i need WHMCS 8 internal encrypt and decrypt for tblpaymentgateways .

it seems above link decrypt values...

now i need encryption that WHMCS 8 use...

That's exactly what I was telling :-). You need to get the values through the GatewaySetting object and then write the plain text value to the value var that's on the object. Call save on the object, and it's encrypted in the DB 🙂

5 minutes ago, Gitex said:

@Wouter0100 coud you show me an example please ?

<?php

use \WHMCS\Module\GatewaySetting;

$setting = GatewaySetting::where('gateway', '=', '{gatewayname}')->where('setting', '=', '{settingname}')->first();

var_dump($setting->value); // Unencrypted value

$setting->value = 'THIS WILL BE ENCRYPTED IN THE DATABASE'; // This will be encrypted before saving to the DB

$setting->save();

Edited by Wouter0100

• 1 year later...

For anyone having the same problem but with the registrar module, there is this library that does similar to the Gateway one:

use \WHMCS\Module\RegistrarSetting;

It seems how the setting value encryption works, how it encrypts / decrypts, basically it uses the configuration variable in the `cc_encryption_hash` to do it.

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2020 at 7:07 AM, Wouter0100 said:
<?php

use \WHMCS\Module\GatewaySetting;

$setting = GatewaySetting::where('gateway', '=', '{gatewayname}')->where('setting', '=', '{settingname}')->first();

var_dump($setting->value); // Unencrypted value

$setting->value = 'THIS WILL BE ENCRYPTED IN THE DATABASE'; // This will be encrypted before saving to the DB

$setting->save();

It worked perfectly for me, I didn't know this could be done.

however, this appears to be undocumented within classes.

https://classdocs.whmcs.com/8.9/WHMCS/Module_ns.html 

Would it be good to document it?

In case anyone else is looking for an alternative way, this is the way I did it.

$configuraciones = GatewaySetting::where('gateway', '=', 'YOUR_MODULE_NAME')
        ->whereIn('setting', ['public_key', 'private_key', 'testMode'])
        ->get();
    // Inicializa las variables
    $apiKey = $privateKey = $testModeValue = null;

// Itera sobre los resultados y asigna los valores
    foreach ($configuraciones as $configuracion) {
        if ($configuracion->setting == 'public_key') {
            $apiKey = $configuracion->value;
        } elseif ($configuracion->setting == 'private_key') {
            $privateKey = $configuracion->value;
        } elseif ($configuracion->setting == 'testMode') {
            $testModeValue = $configuracion->value;
        }
    }

Then just use the variables: 

• $apiKey 
  • $privateKey
  • $testModeValue

In my case I needed to find the apikey and privatekey data of my module because my hook had to consume these details.