Domain Whois Lookup in admin area does not work for few TLD

I'm experiencing that internal whois lookup ( /admin/whois.php ) does not work for few TLD.

I.e: if I check a .com domain, it work fine.

But if I check a .es domain, the answer is always "available for registration", also for domain registered!

So, checking i.e. google.es ...

In the client area the function works fine: if a client try to register google.es, the answer is right...

So, what's the difference between admin area whois and client area whois?

6 hours ago, Remitur said:

In the client area the function works fine: if a client try to register google.es, the answer is right...

it depends on the lookup provider choice - this is using standard whois on a dev site..

VmL8vdi.png

if I use namespinning (which is enom who do sell the .es TLD), then that uses their API and gets an accurate result, e.g it's unavailable.

6 hours ago, Remitur said:

So, what's the difference between admin area whois and client area whois?

I think the admin area always uses whois, whilst the client area uses the lookup provider specified, e.g whois, namespinning or a registrar) - certainly in the admin area, i'm seeing the same as you in that all .es domains are available.

although, I would consider that expected behaviour because the default whois setting for .es has been wrong, or let's say "unusual", since the beginning of time - in reality, it's a private whois server that you need to register your IP in order to use.

but if you're using a registrar as lookup provider who sells .es, then their API should be giving you accurate results in the client area.