Can I use WHMCS with a nodeJS/ NuxtJS front/ client area?

JamesJohn

I am new to WHMCs after starting a new hosting company.

I am a Javascript web developer and was hoping to build a custom website for my clients to use.

While the initial client area with the WHMC's download is nice, I want to change it drastically.

Is this possible? I know WHMCs has an API but the docs do not explain much about what's possible.

I am looking to do something like Krystal.uk has done with their client area. 

How do I login to my hosting's cPanel control panel? - Krystal ... 

Hi @JamesJohn

14 hours ago, JamesJohn said:

I am looking to do something like Krystal.uk has done with their client area. 

Krystal use the Digit-WHM third-party theme...

https://themeforest.net/item/digit-responsive-whmcs-client-area-template/22206650

obviously, they've made some colour and layout tweaks to it to suit their own needs.

OH MY GOD!! Thank you SO MUCH.

I love their theme and thought I would of needed to pay £10K Plus for a PHP developer to spend 6 months on something :')))

Just out of curiosity.

I am currently using WHMCS Bridge with another theme called Hostcluster. But every time someone clicks "Confirm payment" They are shown a 404 page. I realised  I needed to change the friendly URLs to "Basic" Because I am using the free version of Bridge. I haven't had another customer to test it, do you think that could be the reason?

Also... I can still keep my main theme and have this just on the WHMC subdirectory right? - Seriously new to the world of Wordpress and WHMCs

I had similar ideas in the past and I think the API is the only way if you want to have a separated area/control panel. Obviously this is the hardest approach and limited to what ever data you can get or manipulate with the API as opposed to editing the template files directly.

The reason I mention this is that editing the template files is fine if that is what you will have for all your site, a one single unified theme. While WHMCS allows different themes, and users can switch I find that approach not usable (at least I didn't find a solution) for the following reason...

When a user switches a theme, assuming you have a control panel that is more unified than the rest of your sales site, or a mobile version, or what ever, switching the user to that theme is perfectly fine by just forcing the URL&theme parameters when you send him to that page or when he logs in. But WHMCS is not aware what template files or URL its loading, its done as a session. The problem is that switch is permanent. If the user for what ever reason goes back to your site, he will not be switched back to the default theme. For this is a problem.

Example, I would love to have a separate theme that is for example more like an admin interface, without the rest of the navigation headers or footers from an usual site. Similar to the screenshot you posted. I could then switch the user to that theme when he logs in, but the problem is that if I then send him or link to another URL from WHMCS, like support, faq, etc, he would still use that theme instead of my default one. I didn't find a way to switch themes back and forth depending on which site they are, as WHMCS is not aware of that. While you could force him back to the default theme when he logs out, this would not work for people that just close the page and come back later. If there was a way to set a theme only for a specific period of time or to only load for a specific URL I guess creating a theme is the easier approach. The only benefit or using themes is if you have a manual switch on which users can manually change, but doing this programatically or automatically does not seem possible. If there was an API or code for this, that you can put on each template to force a theme, this would be wonderful. Otherwise I guess your best approach right now is just use the API to integrate it to an external platform. Not perfect, and you probably will have to code a lot but this is the cleanest approach I found so far.

22 hours ago, JamesJohn said:

I love their theme and thought I would of needed to pay £10K Plus for a PHP developer to spend 6 months on something :')))

let's just agree to give me £5K, tell yourself you've saved yourself £5K on what you originally expected to pay and we're all winners. 🤑

23 hours ago, JamesJohn said:

I am currently using WHMCS Bridge with another theme called Hostcluster. But every time someone clicks "Confirm payment" They are shown a 404 page. I realised  I needed to change the friendly URLs to "Basic" Because I am using the free version of Bridge. I haven't had another customer to test it, do you think that could be the reason?

does the same thing still occur with Digit ?

23 hours ago, JamesJohn said:

Also... I can still keep my main theme and have this just on the WHMCS subdirectory right?

yes.

btw - if you're using v7.10, it seems that there will be an update to the Digit theme next week...

8 hours ago, brian! said:

let's just agree to give me £5K, tell yourself you've saved yourself £5K on what you originally expected to pay and we're all winners. 🤑

does the same thing still occur with Digit ?

yes.

btw - if you're using v7.10, it seems that there will be an update to the Digit theme next week...

Haha, Already bought the theme mate :')

Well, I haven't had any new customers so I don't know. It seemed to only happen when you actually pay money (Before I was just using  100% Discounts to test).

Honestly, the Digit theme is awesome. But I need to try and customise it a bit to look more "basic". I can see how, to a new user, all of the buttons and sections can be confusing/ overwhelming. I hope one day they come out with a front end part!