How do I switch Domain Registrars?

Brandwise

I have been using OpenSRS for a decade or so and loved them until I started trying to use WHMCS 3 years ago (which still is not set up or functioning properly). Anyhow, I tried hiring a WHMCS developer to help me fix some other problems and he recommended looking into Rad Web Hosting as a more up-to-date registrar and one that was local. Anyhow, I only have a dozen or so clients on WHMCS, but if I transition from OpenSRS to Rad Web Hosting how do I transfer all my clients' domain names without them incurring a transfer fee (I will be paying this or have it included in their renewal fee)?

I assume I can or should only run one Registrar app at a time. Is this correct?
If I shut down the OpenSRS Pro app, will my clients still be able to access their domains?

I am not a high-level developer nor a WHMCS expert so any help would be appreciated to understand how to make this transition between registrars with no disruption or expense to the client. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Brandwise said:

I have been using OpenSRS for a decade or so and loved them until I started trying to use WHMCS 3 years ago (which still is not set up or functioning properly).

you should possibly have used the default OpenSRS addon rather than the third-party Pro version.

Anyhow, I tried hiring a WHMCS developer to help me fix some other problems and he recommended looking into Rad Web Hosting as a more up-to-date registrar and one that was local.

are they just OnlineNIC resellers ??

Anyhow, I only have a dozen or so clients on WHMCS, but if I transition from OpenSRS to Rad Web Hosting how do I transfer all my clients' domain names without them incurring a transfer fee (I will be paying this or have it included in their renewal fee)?

unless RWH are OpenSRS resellers and you can do an inter-registrar transfer between resellers, then you're going to have to transfer them (or your clients are)... which will likely include a fee (unless you wait until they're closer to expiry and transfer them then (which should add a renewal year to the expiry - depending on the TLD).

no - you can use as many registrars as your want within WHMCS.

If I shut down the OpenSRS Pro app, will my clients still be able to access their domains?

I doubt they would be able to modify any of the settings without it throwing an error... possibly you could switch these domains to use the default OpenSRS module, but it's been a while since I switched anyone from Pro to the default WHMCS module... but i'm pretty sure it used to work.

I am not a high-level developer nor a WHMCS expert so any help would be appreciated to understand how to make this transition between registrars with no disruption or expense to the client.

there is always a risk of some disruption when transferring domains between registrars.

if you can leave it close to the domain's renewal time, you can invoice the client as normal, wait for payment and then instead of renewing at OpenSRS, you can initiate a transfer to the new registrar - the cost should be the same (but check before initiating).

• 7 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 8:49 AM, Brandwise said:

I have been using OpenSRS for a decade or so and loved them until I started trying to use WHMCS 3 years ago (which still is not set up or functioning properly). Anyhow, I tried hiring a WHMCS developer to help me fix some other problems and he recommended looking into Rad Web Hosting as a more up-to-date registrar and one that was local. Anyhow, I only have a dozen or so clients on WHMCS, but if I transition from OpenSRS to Rad Web Hosting how do I transfer all my clients' domain names without them incurring a transfer fee (I will be paying this or have it included in their renewal fee)?

I am not a high-level developer nor a WHMCS expert so any help would be appreciated to understand how to make this transition between registrars with no disruption or expense to the client. Thank you!

I found Rad Web Hosting support to be particularly helpful in configuring the module and setting up the automated features. I was unsure of them but they are going above to help out their resellers so I don't mind the pricing-which is not terrible.