Spam tickets

apollo1

I've been dealing with incoming spam tickets for years. Usually I would only get a few per week, so I would just delete them and block senders.

Over the last year it's gotten far worse, as I might get several spam tickets in the course of an afternoon and far more than usual. This has been getting very annoying. So yesterday I configured all my support departments to require tickets be opened by registered users. This immediately helped eliminate these spam tickets.

The issue I am having now is that some spam still gets through from the pre-sales contact form, even with the captcha enabled. Have these spammers gotten so sophisticated that they are able to design bots that bypass the WHMCS captcha on the contact form? I am skeptical that it's some random user, as I've already received around 6 such spam messages via the contact form since yesterday.

How are you guys dealing with these spam issues?

Edited by apollo1

Generally when it's someone abusing the contact form in this manner, I check IP addresses. It almost always is the same IP or one very near it that's hitting the form, so blocking that IP or CIDR range (IE: 123.123.123.0/28 which blocks 16 IPs) in your firewall will stop it. If it's a place you don't have customers from and are unlikely to in the future, a wider block may do, such as 123.123.123.0/24, which is 255. 

Edited by bear

On 7/27/2019 at 1:37 PM, bear said:

Generally when it's someone abusing the contact form in this manner, I check IP addresses. It almost always is the same IP or one very near it that's hitting the form, so blocking that IP or CIDR range (IE: 123.123.123.0/28 which blocks 16 IPs) in your firewall will stop it. If it's a place you don't have customers from and are unlikely to in the future, a wider block may do, such as 123.123.123.0/24, which is 255. 

Thanks a lot bear for the tip.  I ended up just enabling the Google reCaptcha instead of the default captcha, and it's put a complete stop to the spam mails coming in from the pre-sales contact form.